Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fidanka review  (Read 4902 times)

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Fidanka review
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
Hi , just wanted to add a review of our experience at the Fidanka.

This place is wonderful.  The manager and his staff work very hard to make you feel at home - but they do it in a really subtle way so it never feels overdone or smarmy. 

Breakfast consists of cereal, yoghurt, honey, cheeses, bread, butter, boiled eggs cucumber and tomatoes and other bits and bobs that you help yourself to.  There''s nice coffee and tea, and fruit juice.  I did see people eating omlettes too but I am sure they were paid for seperately.  That''s all served between 08.30 and 10.30 upstairs on the roof terrace

Lunch is eaten by the pool and is a very relaxed affair.

Dinner is served back up on the terrace  They have a weekly barbeque which is delicious.  Other than the barbeque they serve a reasonable selection of foods.  My particular favourite was the chicken kebab (15 lira).  Huge portions and lovely presentation.  We thought the food overall was great value and very tasty.  The views from the roof terrace are amazing day and night.  You get to see Kalkan and the bay, and at night it''s an array of coloured lights - even the traffic lights look pretty!

The lounge is small and interesting - not like any I''ve seen before.  The furniture is quite grand, with rugs and pictures and kilims and a huge framed tapestry.  Very quirky but relaxing.  There are a large selection of books for people to read too.  The staff use the lounge on their breaks but they leave when guests go in (despite our reassurances for them to stay put).

The pool area is right next to the lounge and is so bright and colourful it''s hard to describe.  I guess ''a riot of colour'' would be a good start.  There are flowers literally everywhere in planters on top of planters, in bowls, metal buckets, vases, you name it, they use it to present or grow flowers.  It''s fab.  The loungers are predominantly wooden and all have coloured cushions.  Very comfy!  The pool itself isn''t huge but is more than adequate for an 11 bedroomed hotel.  The swallows take flying sips as they fly over, and sparrows sit on the side cleaning themselves.  It''s so sweet...

There is an ornately carved wooden pool side bar from where they sell the usual drinks and also freshly made fruit juices.  My favourite was apple, lemon and carrot.  Sounds vile, but is gorgeous!!  There were probably about 6 apples and 6 carrots in each glass and you could smell the lemon from the other side of the pool.  That was 5 lira which I thought was well worth it.

Our bedroom was on the first floor and was approached by a set of slightly wonky wooden steps right next to a lemon tree and yet more flowering bushes.  The room itself was fantastic - like a plush treehouse!  Even the shower was wooden, honestly!  There was an array of shutters which covered the stained glass windows.  The shutters did an excellent job of keeping out the heat.  The view from the our room was great - overlooking Kisla and the bay.  Once out on the balcony which had a table, two wooden seats with cusions and a large day bed, you could see Kalkan too.  It really was absolutely gorgeous.  There was aircon in the room which we used a bit, but as there were so many windows we were able to a get a good airflow going, which was fine.  There was a small fridge and kettle, but we bought our own tea bags and milk.  The only downside to the room was that once the sun had gone down it was a little dark - could have done with a main light (for putting on the slap/ removing contacts) rather than all the side lamps.  The bed was comfy as was the sofa, and we found watching Turkish TV rather interesting, perplexing and amusing.

The location was for us totally fine.  It costs us 10 lira each way to get to Kalkan, but we knew that would be the case so budgeted for it.  It was easy walking distance to the Mahal beach cub (bit steep coming back).  Very quiet at night apart from the 2 or 3 barking dogs, which were nothing to do with the hotel. 

To summarise;  Go, if you like unique, quirky, friendly, interesting, quiet, beautiful and different.  Don''t go if you want minimal, modern, chic, bustling and corporate.  You get the idea.

Cheers, Claire.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3634.0

Offline shining-one

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Fidanka review
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
Wow, great review, thanks very much Claire

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
Thanks Claire, it sounds a beautiful, charming place , really quaint will have to have a nosy as it doesn''t sound like it''s too far from Patara Prince.

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
More than welcome!  Was a pleasure to write as it brought back so many wonderful memories!  I''d go back in a heartbeat.  ;D

Yes, it''s just down the road from the Patara - probably about 5 minutes there and 10 minutes back (to allow for any grub you eat at Fidanka and the uphill return journey).  Worth the walk though, for sure!

Offline mangmang

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
Thank you for your review Claire,

We''ve just booked to stay at The Fidanka in October and it sounds like we''ve picked the right place. Am really looking forward to it now  :)

Offline philb1963

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • The Kalkan Apartment
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:06:16 PM »
Nice review Claire.

We have an apartmnent in Kisla and have seen Fidanka from outside and wondered about trying the restaurant.  Is that alright would you say?

Phil

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
Hi All,
Praised the food at the Fidanka on another thread. Can''t wait to go back in July! Excellent and very friendly!
Rx

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »
Roxie is right!  Go for it, they don''t have a HUGE selection, but what they have is delicious and I think it''s very good value too.  Have fun!!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »
Great review Claire, thanks.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline KislaBlue

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:03:30 PM »
Hi PhilB
We too have an apartment in Kisla and use the Fidanka quite often for lunch and dinner or just to pop in for a drink. It is really quaint with great ambience and friendly staff. Would definitely recommend it.
It''s great having somewhere local for those days or nights when you do not particularly want to go into town.
KislaBlue

Offline suelees

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
Have to agree with everything Claire said.  I can''t add any more apart from we were chuffed to bits with it.

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
Cool suelees!  Glad you enjoyed it too.

I still think about it on an hourly basis even now!!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fidanka Houses

Started by suelees on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 07:07:51 PM
by suelees
smiley
1st Time in Kalakn - Fidanka House

Started by RykaRenee on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 11:18:25 AM
by RykaRenee
xx
Another Review

Started by Gaia79 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 03:48:00 PM
by Gaia79
xx
Review

Started by sidari on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post May 27, 2018, 05:03:16 PM
by sidari

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal