Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Holiday report 22 May - 5 June  (Read 4614 times)

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Holiday report 22 May - 5 June
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Just back from a great 2 weeks in the Sahane Apartment.  We were a party of 4 adults (mum, dad, nan and grandad) and our 6 year old son Jacob.  This was our second visit to Kalkan after staying at the Samira Delux Villas last year.  Loved it so much then we took my parents this year.

Accommodation
The Sahane has a fabulous position near the old town with fantastic views over the harbour - great to watch the boats/gullets going in and out during the day.  The apartment has a fantastic roof terrace with sunbeds to catch the late afternoon sun.  You also have use of a shared swimming pool with the 2 apartments below.  The caretaker team kept the apartment spotless throughout the fortnight.

Beaches
We visited various beaches during our stay -
Patara, which was great for our son with plenty of sand to dig about in for hours (take croccs or flip flops the sand gets vvvvv hot), the beach hut cafe is great for lunch with your usual selection of salads, burgers, filled pancakes. 4Lira for an umbrella and 3Lira for a sunbed.

Kapatus, again lovely but becomes deep suddenly so a watchful eye on kids is needed.  No facilities here so you need to prepare with water and nibbles etc.

Town beach, pebble beach so footwear is needed.  7Lira for 2 sunbeds and an umbrella.  This is perfectly positioned near Kleo''''s bar for the best iced coffee''''s we''''ve had and Jacob loved the strawberry milkshakes.  

We visited 1 beach club - the Kalamar.  Entrance fee was 10Lira per adult which included sunbeds, umbrella, use of pedalo, water trampoline (if you can climb the ladder on to it!!!!) and canoes.  In addition to this we had 3 ice-creams, a modest lunch for the three of us, 2 large bottles of water from the bar and the total bill with tip came to 90Lira.  The only disappointment for us was that the jet ski cost 60Lira for 10 minutes which for us we thought was expensive.  Although I do have to say this is the first beach club we went to so don''''t have anything to compare it with.

Restaurants
Well what can I say we never had a bad meal last year or this.  I think as a family we sample everyone''''s menu quite thoroughly as I don''''t eat meat, Jacob predominantly chooses from the kids menu (although most restaurants were happy to give him a small portion from their standard menu) and Stuart, my husband, eats as much meat as he can when we''''re out as he doesn''''t get much of it when I cook at home.
As a family we rate the following:-
Baharat - Hassan and Meht from the Samira hotel last year are now running this.  The food was fab so we went back for our last night.
Lukas - On the Kas road so really handy from our apartment.  The Med salad is to die for.  We also loved the Luka pastries and Jacob loved the meatballs.  He also loved Nil, the waitress and her auntie who made a real fuss of him!
Foto''''s - great for a casual night out when you''''ve had a hard day on the beach.  Great pizza''''s and salads.
Doy Doy - Wonderful food  - fab sea bass and my parents raved about the amaretto chicken.
Paparazzi - The best Goats cheese salad and veggie casserole!
Akin - one of our favourites from last year
Kaptan - Really loved this place as the menu was a little different to the majority.  Their fishcake special was the best.
Kaya - Great food and entertainment, a magician comes along and shows you some tricks at the end of your meal and the kids go home with numerous balloons in all shapes and sizes.

Our meals ranged between 100Lira (Fotos) - 250Lira (Doy Doy) that was for 4 adults and 1 child.  We would usually have meze to start, a main meal each with 6''''ish beers of 2 beers and a bottle of wine.  Jacob would normally get his ice cream or fruit cocktail drink free.    

Flights
We flew with Onur airlines but we knew they were a budget airline so we got what we expected.  They were on time, no delays and actually the seats were fine.  Tickets arrive via email and you need to print them yourself.
One point about Dalaman airport is that the price of food and drink is expensive so if you have kids who have hollow legs - take some rolls/food with you.

Car Hire
We hired a ford Focus through Enes Tourism for £364 for the fortnight.  We had a small problem with a flat tyre on a visit to KoyaKaya but that was resolved easily.  Enes provided a good service.

This looks like a novel but hopefully I''''ve answered a few questions already placed on the forum and for anyone on their first trip to Kalkan this will give you some idea of prices.

All in all ......love it ..love it... love it  

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3633.0
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:24:55 AM by hils »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Holiday report 22 May - 5 June
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
A lovely report - hils - thank you for sharing..!!

Glad to see that the Kalkan bug has bitten you too!

:D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:55:22 PM »
Thanks for that lovely report you''ve visited a few restaurants we''ve not been to before so will be trying them on our return. We also love Lukas and the staff are lovely there.

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:40:06 PM »
Hils

A great review -thanks.  Always nice to read about restaurants in particular as the temptation is to revisit your favourites.  I have to say I''ve not heard of the Lime Tree before. Can you (or anyone else) give an indication of where it is.  Thanks

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
Actually my husband Stuart thinks I''ve got the name wrong.  It was the Lime Tree last year but although the same staff are there I think the name has changed, it''s advertising itself as Italian, Pizza, Pasta and has the Italian flag colours over the entrance, but the menu was similar to most of the old town restaurants with Meat, Fish and vegetarian dishes.  Now more difficult trying to describe it''''s location....If you know Doy Doy, face it facing the marina go right as you rise up the hill it''''s on your left.  The restaurant seating area is on your left and their kitchen is on the other side of the road.  Know it???

I agree it''s easy to go to the same restaurants.  I think Foto''s and the Lime Tree were our only repeats.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:22:29 PM by hils »

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:28:40 PM »
Could it be Akin?  It''s the only one I can think of with a kitchen across the road. 

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:54:59 PM »
I think it must be.  When you''re out there next you must check it and let me know.

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
Cannot be Akin, Akin has been called Akin for at least 3 years!   ???
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
But it''s the only one up the hill on the left with the kitchen just across the way as descibed by Hils.  I ate there a couple of years ago and it was Akin then.  Have to admit I''d never heard of a Lime Tree before.

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »
It was Akin 2 weeks ago!   ;D

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:11:27 PM »
OK, Ok I have caused major confusion.  Stuart and I have just looked on the map of restaurants published on this site and it is Akin - I must have been on the EFES dark that night!! sorry for the confusion.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »
There is a tree in the restaurant (maybe it''s a lime tree, Blue Lizard it definitely doesn''t bear the fruit!) and lime green chairs - maybe that''s what''s causing the confusion. I agree I''m sure its Akin Pizza Pasta House.

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
Really good holiday review

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »
Great review, Hils. We are also staying at Sahane this year - chosen for its close proximity to "the action" because our annual jaunt to Kalkan is being gatecrashed this year by our two daughters (20 and 16). Only 18 more sleeps :) :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »
Lovely review, really enjoyed reading it. Only 13 more sleeps for us!

Offline hils

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »
You lucky devils.  I wish we were counting down sleeps again!!!  Normality resumed here today - back to work and school for Jacob.  His class loved the Turkish eye that he bought for them, it''s hanging over their door.  You will love your trips - any questions you have just drop me a line. x

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just got back - our Kalkan holiday report - June 08

Started by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 07:59:37 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Holiday Report

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

12 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 01:23:48 PM
by Chrissie
smiley
Holiday report

Started by lyndsey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 12:26:01 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
May holiday report

Started by KalkanWilkie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 11:33:12 PM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal