Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: AllanChris back from Kalkan  (Read 2899 times)

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
AllanChris back from Kalkan
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:29:15 AM »
Hi all, Chris and I got back from Kalkan last Saturday (30th May), our 4th visit, so we thought we would share some of our thoughts and experiences.

We arrived early hours of Saturday 24th May and although it wasn''t raining we noticed large puddles around the airport. A bit overcast on the Saturday but by late afternoon clear blue sky appeared, never failing to re appear every morning and remain all day for the rest of our stay. Lucky or what? after 3 days of rain!    The Akin cafe was the very first eaterie we visited on our very first visit to Kalkan, and so each holiday we make this our first port of call for brunch. Akram the waiter who speaks English with a cockney lilt (English wife) has returned, and seemed delighted to see us. Some of his jokes are very risque when he gets to know you! We had a very reasonable mixed Meze there.     We went to see Murat at The delightful Cafe Del Mar for coffee and chat. Whilst there 2 American men in their 20''s arrived and spoke to Murat in the most arrogant manner I have witnessed in many a year. They ordered one Turkish breakfast which they both tucked into and complained that there wasn''t enough honey! Never once did I hear a please or thankyou. I was going to go over and vent my feelings, but Chris stopped me endangering the
''Special Relationship''! The Olive Garden and Kaptan Restaurants remain our favourites, but the best meal of our week''s stay was at the restaurant home of the Kalkanguru cookery lessons. Liver and Lamb Shank both out of this world, both so full of flavour. Cafe Vita still as good as ever, had v. good Sea Bream and Kofte at very reasonable prices.    I drank Efes every day, to make up for the fact that Chris cannot drink alcohol due to a dietry code. A good 2/3 course meal for 2 with beer instead of wine at the most well regarded restaurants was between 70to 90 YTL. We dicovered The Seaport Kebab Restaurant over looking the beach, very good mixed Meze and lamb Sis.  The Nur Live Music Bar was great if you like that sort of thing. I do! We had a great couple of evenings there.  See  more on the ''Restaurants and Bars'' section under ''Live music at The Nur.'' We stayed at the Komurluk Apartments, cannot think of a better place,
peace and quiet, unbeatable view, spacious, perfect for us anyway. Having breakfast on the balcony with the whole of the bay in view, just the put-putting of the boats going out and the birds singing, I need say no more!   We love Kalkan, I suppose that''s obvious, but it''s so lovely to have people in Shops and restaurants remember you and smiling. Even the greeters at the restaurants we engage with and banter
with, they are only trying to survive after all, and they don''t usually argue with a  "No thank you".

We witnessed one terrible moment when it appeared that a family was arguing over custody of a child with the resultant shouting of four letter words. This happened very early in the week, so was quickly dispatched to the ''delete'' part of the memory!

The flights with T.C. were fine, very minor delays, and very minor legroom!        We are coming back during the October half term, you must have gathered from all of my ramblings that Kalkan is for us. Long may it stay the same, it will do if The Mayor is sensible and the tourists likewise.   The best to you all,  Allan.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3586.0
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: AllanChris back from Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:50:17 AM »
nice one allan...we fly out on saturday so that has wetted my appetite!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
So glad that Kalkan is still living up to expectations and that you had a great holiday. Can''t wait until Sunday when we are off for our next fix  ;D

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »
nice one allan...we fly out on saturday so that has wetted my appetite!! ;)
Mr Lizard, I take it you have turned down my invitation on the ''Komurluk'' section of ''The first time in Kalkan''. Most unlike you!  Allan.  >:D

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »
I was in Kalkan last week and enjoyed Murat''s charming hospitality at Cafe del Mar.  He is obviously still bothered by the incident with the 2 Americans and the way in which they spoke to him.  I hope no other local people had to put up with their rudeness.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
back in Kalkan

Started by boboy on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 09:10:06 PM
by kalkan wife
xx
Bye Bye Kalkan - and please can I come back?

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 12:37:20 PM
by michelle2
xx
Just back from 1st trip to Kalkan!

Started by Jess on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 10:20:01 PM
by Chucky
xx
Just back from first visit to Kalkan...did we like it - no!

Started by Rachey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

22 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 06:42:09 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Benji

Views: 4660
By: misty
Bodrum