Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tragic balloon accident in Cappadoccia  (Read 2282 times)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Tragic balloon accident in Cappadoccia
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:04:13 PM »
Regrettably, the news is reporting the tragic death of 1 person and injuries to others who were flying with Mike Miners, Kapadokya balloons - the very person and balloon company that we flew with last summer.  :(

My heart goes out to all those killed and injured and although I know that there are some cowboy balloon outfits who operate in Cappadoccia - I truly believe that Kapadokya balloons are not in that league as one of the first balloon operators in that area many years ago and I have personally heard of the experience of Mike.  :( :(

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6387967.ece

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3575.0
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Tragic balloon accident in Cappadoccia
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
Terrible news very sad.......I have flown in just about everything going but I would never go up in a hot air balloon just looks to precarious to me.

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Tragic balloon accident in Cappadoccia
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »
Extract from today''s Daily Mail report:

"A British space scientist was killed yesterday when a hot air balloon sightseeing trip turned to disaster. 
Nine other Britons were also injured when the balloon suddenly plummeted 150ft to he ground in Turkey.
Eyewitnesses said the craft dropped like a stone after it collided with another balloon.  However, investigators said they could not rule out winds or pilot error as a possible cause of the accident. 

Dr Kevin Beurle, 53, was among holidaymakers who set off at 6.30am yesterday to watch the sun rise over a spectacular natural landscape, known as the ''fairy chimneys'', in the central region of Cappadocia.  The balloon was being piloted by Briton Mike Miners, but just moments after its anchor ropes were released the balloon crashed back to earth.  Last night, it was unclear whether Dr Beurle died when the balloon hit the ground or whether he had jumped from it in panic.  Nevsehir regional governor Asim Hacimustafaolgu told a press conference: ''The balloon had reached a height of 50 metres before it crashed back to earth.  The army police, local prosecutor and authorities are now investigating.''

Pilot Mike Miners, 29, took up ballooning after flying across Cappadocia as a child himself.  A former farm worker, he was in a private hospital last night.  Of the 11 on board, ten were British and one was French.  Eight passengers were taken to the Nevsehir Sevki Atasagun Hospital, while one, described as seriously injured with multiple fractures, was transferreed to the Kayseri University Hospital.

Dr Beurle had a degree in physics and a doctorate in astronomy.  He worked on the Cassini project - a spacecraft orbiting Saturn and investigating the Saturnian system - as well as designing software for space observation.

Explore World Wide, which organised the balloon trip, is investigating the accident in collaboration with local authorities.  Managing director Ashley Toft said: ''This is a tragic accident and our immediate concerns  are with our customers and their next of kin.  Explore has offered balloon flights in Turkey for ten years but, as a precaution, we have suspended all ballooning in Turkey until further notice.''"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A tragic loss to Kalkan

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 10:48:16 PM
by darren.pettit
xx
Serious Traffic Accident

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Flights and Travel

21 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 08:39:03 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Harbour at sunset

Views: 3855
By: cer
Kalkan cat