Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Car hire or taxis  (Read 4917 times)

Offline izzy35

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Car hire or taxis
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
Yet another question :)  We have read mixed views about car hire and taxis.  Which one would be the better option?  We have read that car hire works out cheaper but thats not really an issue because i like to relax and enjoy when i''m away.  We have read that there are a lot of cars in Kalkan as everyone chooses to drive due to high taxi charges.  I don''t mind paying for taxis but if one feels that they are being conned every time we use them it can leave a bitter taste in the mouth.  However if the taxis are charging what they should then i have no problem as we all have to make a living.  Also, if we do decide to hire a car should we book before hand or wait until we are there and arrange it locally if that is possible.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3480.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Car hire or taxis
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
Hi Izzy,
It depends on where you are staying, whether you mind walking or have small children or anyone who would have trouble walking with you. I would suggest waiting until you get to Kalkan and checking whether walking in and out of the centre from your accomodation is feasible in the first instance. If it isn''t, then consider your options. The price for taxis is available on KTLN, so you can check what it should cost and car hire is pretty much the same wherever you go in Kalkan and we have never had a problem booking a vehicle even in the peak weeks. We always hire car for 4 or 5 days but we never use it in Kalkan itself (parking is a nightmare) it''s mainly to go to visit other places.
Hope that helps
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »
Yep - spot on advice from kalkan4eva - I completely agree - a lot depends on where you are staying, when you are going and the make up of your party...!!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
Errr, we do both. Sometimes in the same evening! ;D

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
Ha ha Blackpool - us too!
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
Ignore all the hype the taxi''s are NOT expensive !!!!

Offline izzy35

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »
 :) Thanks for the advice.  From what we can gather we are staying near the petrol station in  Samira Deluxe.  Beautiful views i believe.  We are fit and healthy so don''t mind walking, but my wife loves her high heels so in the evening it will always be by taxi or car.  From what i can gather we will sign up for the turkish night so as not to get in trouble ;D with the personnel.  We will wait and see what is best when we get there then. 

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »
We always stay just above the SD in a villa and its a very pleasant walk into town but we always take a Taxi back after a night in town. I have walked it a few times myself with no problems even at mid day !!! but we draw the line at walking back in the evening.....to full !!!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
Izzy, I word of caution for your wife, leave the heels at home  :o
I''m a heels girl - always in 5 inches + day in day out, flats knock me off balance. Here at home I run round shops and up and down stairs, no problem, but heels and Kalkan are a no-no! Even if you take taxis everywhere there are places you will need to walk and the hills are steep and can be very slippy and often the pavements are uneven. Heels (unless you are the superhuman member called Szimmer) will be superfluous to requirements in Kalkan, trust me. :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:43:57 PM »
Oh dear..Kalkan and high heels ...not a good combination!!(not that lizard has tried !! :o)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
I did laugh one night two not so young ladies in high heels clinging on to each other trying to go down the cobbled hill in town...very funny  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline yoyo

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
There is a thread under "1st time in Kalkan" on women''s footwear which might be of help in deciding whether your wife should take her heels to Kalkan. There are points for and against.  Maybe she should treat herself to a pair of pretty flats for the evening just in case.  Once she sees the streets of Kalkan she may be glad of them.  ;)

Offline izzy35

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »
 ???oh no not another reason to buy more shoes!!! My wife will be delighted, i''m so glad we are aware of this.  It could have caused a few grumbles from her as goes hurtling down the hills ;D.  I guess this will mean more new outfits to match, handbags...etc  ::)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:32 PM »
absolutely...and then the handbags can be topped up once you are in Kalkan....personally I even manage to slip in flip flops!

Offline streety

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
If you really adore heels, as I do, buy a nice pair of wedges.  I know the sensible ones amongst you will still say these are still a problem, but i''ve tottered around Kalkan in them for the last few years.  TIP: Take a large handbag, put your wedges in it, walk to town in yr flats/trainers/flipflops/unexciting unflattering shoes.  When you get there put on those heels, strutt your stuff and put the nasty ones away!!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
Why not buy a pair of Healeys (trainers with a wheel on the sole) walk up the hill and then glide down !!!!

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
Izzy, our place is up by the SD and we just love it around there.  The views are fab and there is a lovely breeze of the night.  We always walk into town in the evening (wearing flip flops - I cant be bothered with wedges and i''m a heel girl too!) and taxi back and it costs between 9-14 lira depending on the time (its dearer after midnight).

You will have a great time in the Samira Deluxe - when are you going - we may see you around.

Offline izzy35

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
Hi Turkeyfan,
                 we are there first 2 weeks of july.  Counting the days now.   :)

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 11:55:38 AM »
Totally agree with Streety!!  I have loads of pretty flip flops even havianas with crystals on them!!  But I still take wedges with me, as they are a lot easier to walk in, if you want some height!!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
wedges are the best alternative...but I still struggle in anything above 3 inches. I bring a super high pair and a semi-sensible pair every year...guess which ones remain in the wardrobe for the entire holiday ??? ???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hire a car or use taxis?

Started by claire on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 11:23:58 PM
by Rosie
question
Care hire or Taxis?

Started by petemw5 on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 07:32:17 AM
by stonker
recycled
Water taxis/taxis

Started by sooey on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 06:54:35 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Taxis

Started by Phyllis33 on Flights and Travel

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 10:37:17 PM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

dog on a boat!

Views: 3639
By: itstime
Cheers! At Cafe Vita