Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Am I right about Kalkan?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline youngstu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Am I right about Kalkan?
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
OK...I''ve never been before and I''m thinking about going in September. After reading a little about Kalkan on the internet I have a great impression of it in my mind but I''m not sure if I''m right. Any help or comments are very welcome.
Is Kalkan a small village which isn''t overrun with tourism and still feels traditionally Turkish? (I believe it is but want to check)
I think it''s predominantly a harbour but I have read that it does have a beach....What is the beach like?
Can anyone tell me about any other beaches which are reasonably close (10-15 mins by dolmus max.)
Is it true that most of the restaurants have roof terraces where you can chill out and have a drink after your dinner?
Would it be a good base for taking trips to some of the historical sites?
I have stacks of other questions but I''ll leave at this just now.
Thanks.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3448.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Am I right about Kalkan?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »
it will tick all those boxes it is in all essence a village..although not as small as was..the old village is pretty much as it has been for donkeys years,restaurants just move location!!.....the town beach is not great but is ample...but a 20min dolmus ride away you have one of turkeys treasures..Patara beach!! Kalkan can also be used for trips either by road or sea.....try scrolling down through some of the headings you think might be of interest..you will see various headings like general discussion ,bars and nightlife etc....and by the way welcome to the forum" ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
I think BL has covered all yor current questions and if you look through the other threads you will get a good idea of the many trips and things you can do.
If you have any other questions, fire away, I am sure we will do our best to help
Joan
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:45:21 PM by joanH »

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:24:06 AM »
The heart of Kalkan has a traditional village feel but the extent of the whole community is quite large.  There''s no doubt that the whole place is Turkish and has not been spoilt or overrun but I remember being a bit disappointed when I first arrived on the outskirts of the town at dusk on my first visit and wondering what the fuss was all about.  And then the next morning discovered the old town and harbour - and the people, and the restaurants, and the fabulous setting with wonderful views.  And many visits later I still have that same feeling of wonder when I get there and longing to be there when I''m not!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:21:04 AM »
As everyone has said,yes to all your questions,the town beach is pebbles its ok and you are close to the bars and eating places if you want a bit more choice for lunch,but you have all the beach clubs as well,and I
think most still do a free boat transfer,so you have a pretty good choice for topping up your tans  ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »
Hi Youngstu,
If you go to the town beach you will need crocs, or similar, otherwise walking down to the sea will just be entertainment for everyone else  ;D  ;D. BL has mentioned Patara which is an amazing beach, and in the other direction towards Kas, Kaputas is a beautiful sandy cove. There isn''t much in the way of facilities there so pack a picnic and be prepared for a steep walk down..then back up  :)

I always describe Kalkan to people who have never been as a bit like a Cornish village in its lay out but with brilliant weather, truly turquoise sea and the warmest Turkish hospitality you will find anywhere. It''s an intoxicating combination.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline timwhit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »
I always describe Kalkan to people who have never been as a bit like a Cornish village in its lay out but with brilliant weather, truly turquoise sea and the warmest Turkish hospitality you will find anywhere. It''''s an intoxicating combination.

spot on !!!!

Offline youngstu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »
Cheers everyone. I''m getting more convinced about going after reading your replies. I''ll just need to try and work out the costsetc. No doubt after I search around a bit on here I''ll find details on some hotels, flights etc.
Whats the climate like in September?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

"Just like that"

Views: 3819
By: alisonh
Back into Harbour