Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Alterations to apartment block without neighbours permission  (Read 2666 times)

Offline rayhall

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Here''s what happened.... My Turkish neighbour in top floor duplex apartment above me (middle floor) and my English neighbour (ground floor) decided to alter the pitch of the roof (and possibly the height) presumably to give himself more headroom. At no time did he consult with me or my English neighbour and he completed this work while neither of us were in Kalkan sometime between October 2007 and May 2008. Prior to completion of this work, solar heating panels for hot water for all three apartments were located on the roof. After the work, these panels were re-located to an area of the garden thereby decreasing the ammount of usable shared common ground. In addition to the moving the panels, the electrical supply to my panel and my English neighbour''s were simply cut while my Turkish neighbour re-instated his. Furthermore, the supply and return water pipes of my Turkish neighbour are nicely protected in a protective sheath while those of my solar panel and that of my English neighbour have no such protection. Finally the supply and return pipes are now clearly visible running up the side of the apartment whereas previously they were concealed.

I approached my Turkish neighbour and asked him to put things right last Summer so he has had 12 months and has done nothing.

I have written to the mayor and am waiting for a reply.

What further action can I take or does anyone have any recommendations based on similar "Turkish neigbour from Hell" experiences?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3313.0

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Alterations to apartment block without neighbours permission
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
We have a new mayor who sticks to the rules and will stop any builder/owner breaking them. It''s worth checking the plans; chances are there''s nothing on them showing a habitable space on the roof - take it from there, was planning permission obtained for any extension or alteration etc.?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
When you asked your Turkish neighbour to sort things out ....what was his response?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
Why not get your own builder in move the solar panels put all the services right and give your neighbour the bill ?

Offline rayhall

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.

I am encouraged to hear that new mayor sticks to the rules. As for a "habitable space" on the roof, I do not know what that means. My upstairs neighbour has an apartment on 2 floors with the top floor originally having a low roof with very little headroom at the points furthest away from the roof apex. He has therefore changed the angle of the roof to give himself more headroom throughout. He always had habitable space on the top floor but it was restricted due to the headroom. As for whether or not he got planning permission, I do not know - certainly I and my English neighbour downstairs were never consulted as would have been the case in the UK.

As for my neighbours response when he was asked to put things right, I was assured via a Turkish friend who met with me and my neighbour that my neighbour had said he would put things right - that was initially in May last year. In july last year, still nothing had happened so I asked again and was told that he was waiting until the construction season. Now the construction season is nearly over and my neighbour has still done nothing and according to a local source there is no signs that he will.

The suggestion that I get the work done myself and send the bill to my neighbour is not a route I will pursue. Over the Winter, a different Turkish neighbour in a separate apartment block on the same development contacted me to say that some urgent drainage work was required on the site and that each apartment owner would have to contribute roughly 600 TL so that the work could proceed. I have just found out that he is still waiting for my upstairs neighbour and his brother who owns the top floor apartment in the other block on the site to pay their contributions.

Anyone-else got any good ideas or advice?

I certainly hope the mayor lives up to the reputation of being a man who sticks to the rules and comes down hard on anyone breaking them.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »
maybe not the best advice, but have you considered seeking legal advice via a solicitor? I realise that it may be different in Kalkan but is it not what you would do in the UK?

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:56:30 AM »
I think that there are very specific rules about roof spaces and any alterations to height need permission. Not from neighbours but from the Belediye. There is a maximum height at centre and the roof has to slope to a maximum height at the sides.The only exception to the roof height is above the stairs which can be slightly higher. If you check the original plans the height should be specified, any alteration would need new documentation. You might prefer to come to an understanding with your neighbour as enforcement would probably lead to an impossible situation.

Offline rayhall

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »
Thanks again for the latest ideas and advice.... I agree that in the UK you would engage a solicitor but I am not in the UK - I have already checked informally with a Turkish solicitor in Kalkan who agreed that indeed my neighbour had acted illegally, against council and building regulations and was not behaving like a "good neighbour".... however he also said that legal action in Turkey can be very protracted, expensive and there are no guarantees. So that steered me towards trying to reason with my neighbour and 1 year on after thinking we had come to an understanding, nothing has changed.... hence my current approach to take this up with the Mayor and the Belediye. As for being in an impossible situation, I think I am there already.

Thanks again for your suggestions. If anyone has anything new to add that might offer a solution that hasn''t already been thought of then I would be glad to hear it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

angry
Alterations to apartment block without neighbours permission - Mk 2

Started by rayhall on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 09:45:27 PM
by rayhall
xx
Residents agreement for sharing running costs in communal apartment block

Started by Christina on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 07:16:02 PM
by KlknBtrc
xx
dressmaking/alterations

Started by elcee on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 02:52:22 PM
by saskia
xx
Neighbours as forum members

Started by tortoise lady on Introduce Yourself

10 Replies
Last post July 23, 2016, 09:31:10 PM
by Sezkalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Beautiful view

Views: 2577
By: LancashireLass
Daphne''s