Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Driving in Turkey  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Bobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Driving in Turkey
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
We''ve been to Kalkan three times before but never hired a car, going again in June and think we might like to do so this time. Is there anything we need to know about driving in Turkey, any "peculiar" rules of the road or anything. My hubby will be doing the driving, but I am a VERY nervous passenger!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3208.0

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Driving in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
Its not too difficult as there is usually not too much traffic around - however

assume all other drivers are not looking out and assume they may / will do unexpected manoeuvres -   
     stay well back

never ever give way - if you stop to let someone go first you will cause mayhem as no one ever does it

never flash your lights as it is the opposite of the UK - here it means danger - get out of my way !!

when someone indicates [and they occasionally do] to turn left they may
           turn left immediately
           stop in the road and you overtake on the outside
           or they may then pull into the right and wait whilst you overtake and then they will turn left
     be advised to slow right down and try to anticipate their intentions - never assume what they might do

don''t drink and drive - if you have a passenger with you the alcohol limit is ZERO - if you are alone you
     are allowed one Efes or equivalent

you should outside of the village always wear a seat belt otherwise you may be fined and always carry
     your UK driving licence [a photo one and original]- your passport [or a copy] and the car''s papers

if you see other drivers flashing their lights at you as they pass on the other side of the road it means a
     Police road check ahead

speed limit normally 90 kph less in towns and through built up areas

Otherwise not too much to worry about - just be very aware and let me know when you are here so I can keep out of the way  ;D

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
everything Mr. Cat says and one other thing; you give way to people approaching the roundabout. Important one that, especially in Kalkan itself.  There are exceptions on the longer trips where some of the roundabouts are traffic light controlled but they should ''speak'' for themselves.  Good luck  Bill

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
Yes - sorry missed that one - ALWAYS give way to traffic from your RIGHT
I assumed that as a given as it is the same everywhere on the Continent.
But once again watch out as some drivers race to get round first even if you have the right of way, as they often seem to assume foreigners nerves will give way  ::)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
Yes, basically it''s everyone for themselves;  if you just assume the other guy is going to be a complete nutcase, you probably won''t be disappointed!

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
I''ve hired a car on my past two visits and although I was a little nervous at first soon got used to it and have been as far a Fethiye and Olu Deniz.  It doesn''t take long to adjust.

Offline Suffolk folk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
All good advice and I would add to be alert to drivers veering across to the "wrong" side of the road to avoid potholes and bumps, which they are aware of but you may not be.  Newly dug holes in the road may be marked by nothing more than a bit of rock, or not at all.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:17:46 AM »
In my opinion its safer and easier driving in ( this part of ) Turkey than in the UK......cant believe that people giving supposed advise seem to me to set out to scare people off the road.....in short, the roads are as near as dam it empty, in very good condition and from what I have seen people drive quite slowly, hire your car and enjoy yourself is my advise. Of course don''t drink and drive, and don''t drive to fast, this is not advise but common sense, if you need to be told not to drink and drive you should not be driving, full stop

Why does everything have to sound so serious and dangerous ! ! ! Its all starting to sound like our big brother dictator''s in the UK .......right for today....how to open a can of beans without hurting yourself ! ! ....come on, give advice by all means, but at the same time give people some credit

Sorry to go off thread, but just lately a lot of things I have been reading about Kalkan on this forum would stop me from booking a holiday there if I did not know better ( Not us, we own a place in Kalkan and think its the best place in the whole world ) I have read recent post where someone said that they would not walk alone in the dark in Kalkan ! .....I would say, '' get real ''.......it was also posted that there has been 20 ( twenty ) break-ins in Kalkan in the last month, ( some armed with guns ! ) now I cant do the maths, but I would say if this is true, with only say ( guess / approx ) 500ish properties in Kalkan, Kalkan would have a higher break-in rate than anywhere in the UK.......I stand to be corrected ? ? ?

Come to Kalkan, hire a car, go out and enjoy yourself, and have a great time in a great place....
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »
Kalamar Dream
Sorry but I cannot see anything that has been written that would scare people off from driving here.
The original question was "is there anything peculiar" in driving in Turkey and I think that giving advice about flashing headlights, turning left and not giving way all seem to be Turkish peculiarities, so why not be aware of them
 Also the need to carry the correct documentation - why would that scare anyone ??
If you consider this sort of advice like Big Brother speaking ....well what can one say?

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »
Yes Kevincat, point taken, and sorry, maybe I did get a bit carried away, and I was not really having a go at your post, most of your advise is fine, but some a bit well, I dont know......  I quote : " never give way "  its just I keep reading so much negitive stuff written about Kalkan that it gives me the hump !

Offline Bobbie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
Now now, no arguments please! Thanks to all of you who have replied. My husband drives very carefully and slowly on foreign soil (he knows how nervous I am!) and doesn''t drink, so we should be ok. Looking forward to getting back to Kalkan and seeing all our friends!
Bobbie

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
As others have already said, driving in this part of Turkey is easy and quite relaxing with very little traffic, but here are just a couple of points:
Dusk is probably the most hazardous time to drive; there are often sheep/goat herds just round the corner and headlights are not too good at this time at picking up the tractor trailers without rear lights. They will usually drive along the hard shoulder as will many of the slower cars and motorcycles (illegally).
Don''t assume that red lights are at the rear and white lights at the front of vehicles - it''s usually true but not always and it''s considered very ''macho'' for the young lads to have pretty blue lights at the front, no headlights and no rear lights.
If you drive carefully you''ll enjoy it but if you''re driving slowly don''t be intimidated into driving to the right of the RH solid white line.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:37:57 PM »
The traffic in the Kalkan area is so light compared to what we are used to that driving is quite easy. Just take care, assume that all other drivers are unpredictable and obey the speedlimits (fined last year for speeding!).

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
Not that I want to test the water but was the fine particularly expensive?

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
85 ytl for speeding!

OH got done on the way back from Fethiye.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Hi
Last year I remember a similar post being asked about driving in Turkey. At the time I answered ''go for it'' as I had driven in Turkey on quite a few occassions and had no problems.
However last September Rob and I nearly lost our lives by Dalaman airport, when a coach came very close to hitting us. The coach was in the ''outside'' lane and was meant to be turning off as the road went around to the left. The coach actually went straight on, and came close to hitting us.
Can I add I only managed to pull out of the way when I heard the coach tyres squealing, as I had not seen it at night as it did not have any lights on!
So, I have to defer to all those members who advised that driving in Turkey can be challenging at times. I will continue to drive in Turkey, but I will be VERY careful.
Em
Em

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Driving in Turkey

Started by Pete on Flights and Travel

13 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 10:08:23 AM
by Pete
xx
Driving in Turkey.

Started by LancashireLass on Flights and Travel

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 06:23:37 PM
by LancashireLass
xx
Licence required for driving in Turkey

Started by Becs_matt on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 09:13:41 AM
by Lou
xx
IDP (International Driving Permit) for non photo licence holders in Turkey

Started by Brooksie on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 08:08:13 PM
by rat2

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mehmet / Arena

Views: 4692
By: clooneyrooney
Kekova Trip