Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: mobile phone coverage  (Read 9479 times)

Offline dave99

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
mobile phone coverage
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
Hi,

Is there any greek mobile phone operator coverage in Kalkan? I remember when I was in Kas a few years back I could get on Vodafone greece originating in Meis and it was a lot cheaper than connecting to the turkish networks!

Ta

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3145.0

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: mobile phone coverage
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »
If you stay in Kas you''ll get the Greek network, but sadly only Vodafone Turkey in Kalkan. Don''t roam though, Turkcel is really expensive compared to Vodafone if you''re a Vodafone customer.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline dave99

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
Boooo :(

I am actually with orange in the uk

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »
Never mind.
Do you like a lot of my mates have to hang out of the window to get a signal. :D

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »
Brooksie
I too am on Orange and my mobile used to go onto Turkcell when I landed at Dalaman, but now when I arrive my it goes onto Vodafone, so does that mean I get the cheaper rates?
You''re not far wrong about hanging out of windows with Orange network when in the UK and oddly the situation seems to be getting worse lately. It is a pain but it''s the price I pay for having v good rates.
Rosie

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »
Rosie
Found this link on the Orange site for you. Go to it and enter Kalkan and it will give you the info you need. I didn''t have to hang my computer out of the window to get on the Orange site. :D

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?c=OUKPage&cid=1123171272053&pagename=PersonalIR

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
The only word of advice I can give, as I learnt the hard way is to avoid Vodafone!!

I used to be on a Vodafone UK contract with all the bells and whistles, eg international roaming and I came back from Turkey well and truely stung!  >:D

.... a £300+ phone bill and I didnt use my phone excessively at all, what annoyed me more is the fact some people at Vodafones call centers say Turkey is in their roaming plan as its now "Vodafone" and others say it isnt so there is a very confused message at Vodafone - the best of it was their Team Leader said there was no Vodafone presence in Turkey and I was mistaken - I advised him to check the Vodafone Turkey website and he still denied it saying it wasnt on his system so could have been a fake  ??? :o

To stop me going on and on (I could talk for hours about this!) to cut the story short, I got no-where as the UK Billing Teams computers had no record of Vodafone Turkey (at the time even though I had a text welcoming me to Vodafone Turkey the bills still showed it as the TelSim not Vodafone)

If you want some fun - if you look at the Vodafone UK website you cant roam in Turkey using International Call Saver, but on the non UK vodafone websites (eg Vodafone Turkey) then Turkey is included in the International Call Saver package!

Think its big company left hand right hand syndrome!  :D

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »
I didnt realise Orange was a problem in the UK - Im on the 3 network now - lets just say I can see why you get free calls to retrieve your voicemail !!!!!!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30:04 PM »
I used Vodafone in Kalkan and the charges were exactly the same as in the UK......however I know people that have had horredous bills on their return so its seems they are all over show when it comes to Turkey !!!

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »
Misty
True enough, I had all this out with Vodafone on my return in September, like Jon wopping great bill £475. I have now changed my price plan to one that has call saving advantages for countries like Turkey that are not part of the Vodafone passport plan. Still call costs are £1.25 per minute, but not £1.65 per minute that I got stung for last time. I have also got per second billing not minimum 60 second segments as my previous plan.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »
We have a cheap nokia phone which we bought from Baris(opposite the old dolmus station) for use in Turkey..we use a phone card if we want to phone home..that way we have no surprises !!!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 08:13:08 PM »
Try a sim card from www.oneroam.co.uk - just use it to replace your existing sim to call the UK. Turkey to UK 41p per minute. Incoming calls free.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »
I have an old Siemens A55, which I take out with me and use with an Aria sim card. It''s an ex English Orange but, as I have had it in use out there for a number of years, it seems to work ok.
I initially started using Avea because they didn''t cut you off after 3 months like Turkcell. And, although any credit seems to disappear after 3 months, I only have to top it up when I arrive at Dalaman and it re-appears. I always try to take a new 100 kontor card home with me for this purpose.
Coverage is generally pretty good and improving to almost Turkcell levels and for 100 kontor I get to phone UK for 10 - 15 mins or, for calls to Turkish friends and companies it seems to go on forever. SMS to uk are only 2 kontor each, I believe.
I also take an English mobile on Virgin. Then friends and family can text using their free allowances and nobody has to pay exhorbitant SMS fees.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Possums

• Happy Wrinkly Girls
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • The beauty of age
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »
I have always used Sim4Travel www.sim4travel.com whenever I have travelled abroad - Kalkan or worldwide.

From Turkey to the UK the following rates currently apply:

Make a call =                25p per minute
receive a call =             FREE
send sms =                  39p per text
call voicemail =            25p per minute
check credit =              FREE
add credit =                 FREE
Customer Services =    25p per minute

£15.99 will buy you £10 credit + £5.99 for the SIM
£32.99 will buy you £30 credit + £2.99 for the SIM
£50.00 will buy you £50 credit + FREE SIM

The SIM remains activated for 270 days from your last incoming or outgoing voice or text message.  It''s a simple thing to just send an sms to it to keep it activated.

I''ve never had any problem using it wherever I have travelled to.  Can recommend!

Possums (Rosemary)

Offline Dimetime2

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »
Hi,

I have looked at the Turk Cell prices and unless i have got it wrong they charge something close to 33p a minute to make a call on the prepaid tariff. It seems expensive but this is how i got the figure:

50 units Cost 9tl (£3.37 at 2.4tl to £1 exchange rate)
4.4 units per minute to call landline or turkish mobile (turkcell - turkcell cheaper)
50 units divided by 4.4 = 11.36 minutes = 33p a minute

Is this correct because if so the sim4travel works out cheaper at 25p a minute without all this hassle of registering the phone plus you can just use an old mobile from home and leave it out there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Mobile phone useage.

Started by Alex on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 10:44:22 AM
by BarbH
xx
importing a new mobile phone

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:34:42 PM
by clooneyrooney
xx
Mobile Phone Stuff

Started by Wendy on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 08:40:21 PM
by jinfizzz
xx
Sorry, just a little question re mobile phone!!!

Started by Lizilu20 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 06:22:54 PM
by Lizilu20

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Iso's

Views: 2561
By: pw
Kalkan Harbour