Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Marriage for foreigners  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Ozgur

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Marriage for foreigners
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
 According to the Turkish marriage legislation and regulations, a Turkish national and a foreigner or two foreigners with different nationalities can get married in Turkey,
which can be done only by the competent Turkish authorities.

Two foreigners from the same nationality can marry in Turkey either in the offices of their own Country''s consulate or embassy, or in the Turkish Marriage Offices run by local municipalities.
All the marriages in Turkey, Whether they are foreigners or Turkish,
has to be conducted by the Turkish authorities and should be regulated according to the
Turkish Civil Code and its related regulations.

Foreigners who want to marry in Turkey must provide their marriage licences issued by the proper Civil Status Register of his/her own country and proove that they''re not already married at the moment. Otherwise, Turkish relevant authorities do not conduct these marriages.
This means that the married couples cannot again be married in Turkey under the Turkish law.

Conditions for a valid marriage

Capacity to marry: Only those persons who have sufficient mental capacity to make fair judgments are allowed to marry. Mental illness is, therefore, a bar to marriage. In addition, a person must have reached the minimum age of 18 to marry.
Absence of consanguinity: Marriage between close relatives is prohibited.
Already existing marriage: Monogamy is one of the essential principles of Turkish family law. A second marriage can not be entered into before the first one is terminated.
Waiting period: Married women whose marriage has been dissolved cannot marry before the expiration of nine months from the date of dissolution. The divorce decree may also state a waiting period within which the spouse may not remarry.
Sickness: Certain sicknesses, such as epilepsy, hysteria etc, constitute a bar to marriage.

Necessary documents for the marriage

- Passport, or official identification card, or birth certificate, which has to be translated in Turkish by relevant authorities.
- Health certificate, which has to be taken from a State medical institution in Turkey.
- Petition of the marriage. To start an action, the groom and bride must file a petition of the marriage at   the Municipality (Belediye), called as "Evlenme Beyannamesi" in Turkish.
- Four passport size photos belonging to bride and to groom.
- Certificate of Capacity to Marry, which states if a person is single, divorced, or widow. To be taken from the proper Civil Status Register of his/her own country. *(Source: Turkish Embassy)

So, I''ve decided not to marry...
  Joke!
  I didn''t find her yet. ;)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3087.0

Offline routemaster

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Marriage for foreigners
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »
When you find her, send her number to me.

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
Interesting - thanks for that.
Can''t see why the bit about Epilepsy though, I must say that annoyed me  >:( - I have sleep epilepsy and it''s a condition not a sickness, you can''t catch it!! (Mine is controlled so don''t worry that I will start breakdancing on the floor)  :P
I know this is the bureaucrats that have decided this but I have to disagree with their thought process - if any - here.
Can''t comment on the hysteria bit - well I could but best I keep my trap shut. :-X

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
Looks like I won''t be marrying a Turk - always in a constant state of hysteria  LOL  ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »
Have to say I was surprised to say the least that having epilepsy appears to be a barrier to marriage. I had hoped that the world had moved on from the old outdated ideas on this particular condition :(

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »
As a former clinical psychologist, I must say that ''''hysteria'''' was never a ''''sickness'''', it described a condition and a propensity to act in certain ways, but was never an illness / sickness.  It no longer exists in the current official psychiatric diagnostic manual (DSM) in the US, having been redefined and reclassified.  Can''''t say about the UK but most probably it is also no longer a recognized entity there either.

Re epilepsy or other such ''''illnesses'''', such a law is rather arbitrary and discriminatory, no? 

Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Have a truly wonderful marriage

Started by Wally on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 08:01:12 PM
by Wally
xx
Best place for marriage proposal

Started by Emmaph70 on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 09:48:31 AM
by Kalkandream
xx
Marriage - Health Test

Started by Lougie on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 08:43:37 PM
by Wendy
xx
Foreigners to meet with police in KaÅŸ

Started by tiamaria on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 06:29:59 PM
by tiamaria

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

kalkan

Views: 4215
By: theinspector
Islands at dusk