Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Strolling Group on a Thursday.  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Strolling Group on a Thursday.
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »
The wet weather and the storms which have hit Kalkan over this last week forced us to stay inside the house. So when the sunny weather returned on Tuesday Lynn and I took the opportunity to get out and do a bit of strolling - walking with two friends Joules and Annie, we chose to take a walk through the ancient ruins of Patara and then on through to the beach walking over the sand dunes, where we were surprised to find the beach restaurant open to serve drinks.

As we sat on the almost deserted beach enjoying a cold beer a Turkish family who were BBQ on the beach bought over a plate of BBQ fish and fresh bread and we had an impromptu picnic, the fish was delicious and all the better when washed down with a cold beer.

I have posted a few snaps taken on our walk to Patara at:  http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

We caught a Dolmas from the coach station in Kalkan the driver charged the four of us 10 lira each and picked us up again when we finished the walk back at Galemis (Patara Village). We just had time to fit in another beer before he arrived to take us back to Kalkan where we had a well deserved meal in BBQ restaurant.

The ruins at Patara are just fantastic to see and to walk in wonderful winter sunshine, where the Emperor Hadrian, St Paul, Alexander the Great, Annie, Joules and Lynn have walked is a real pleasure.

We intend doing a trip to Myra to see the Lycian Tombs, Amphitheatre and St Nicholas’s Church probable on Thursday next week and are looking for some people who like to stroll and are interested in looking at lumps of ancient stone. We have room for about another eight people to help us cover the 150 lira the bus and driver will cost for the day, which works out at 12 ½ lira each if we fill the bus.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining us:  first come first served as they say. This is not an organised trip by a travel company and is run on the basis that we are just a few friends getting together to walk and share the cost of transport.

These walks on a Tuesday will have the emphasis on strolling and stopping now and again to explore and take pictures and may not suit serious walkers who will be better catered for on the Sunday Walks.

For more detailed info on Ancient Patara follow the link below:

http://www.lycianturkey.com/lycian_sites/patara-kursunlutepe.htm

Regards:  Buster

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2830.0
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:15:17 AM by Buster »
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: Strolling Group on a Tuesday.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »
OMG - I''m seriously jealous - Joules knows how much I want to do that walk - so i hope you will do it again sometime (hopefully when I''m out!!)  I would love to do the Myra stroll too...but regrettably I will be here in cold UK...brrrhh!!

Love to you all - and Annie and Joules - I will be thinking of you next Tuesday..!!   :-* :-*

PS - lovely pictures by the way!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
Great pics Barry -''twas truly a lovely day, summed up very nicely by you.
Here are some more pics courtesy of Annie - 2 even have you on!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=57035&id=518452732&saved#/album.php?aid=57035&id=518452732

Sorry Felicity, yes I do know how much you want to do that walk; not wanting to rub it in or anything but we''re doing the circular walk at Patara (which follows a similar route) with the walking group this Sunday.  Will think of you when we are having our Efes on the beach! :-)
No worries though, I''d never tire of it and will gladly do it again when you''re next here - I will be your neighbour from next week so will arrange something when you pop in for a cup of sugar! :-)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:57:19 PM by Joules »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:58 AM »
OK Joules - thats a date..!!   :D :D  Enjoy yourself - see you soon!   :-* :-*

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
Re: Strolling Group on a Thursday.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
Sorry folks

We have had to change the day of the trip to Myra to Thursday as we foregot that Joules is moving into her new villa on Tuesday.

Wishing Joules great times in her new home in Kalkan.

Buster

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:39:38 AM »
Cheers Buster, and I hope you and Mrs. Buster will be sharing lots of those great times with me.
Got the keys yesterday - WOO HOO.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
Me too - make it when I''m out there..!!!   :-*

Oops - back on topic...slap wrist..!!   :o :o

Offline Joules

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:04:07 AM »
House warming party is taking place when I return from forthcoming trip to UK - mid March (ish) - all of my "new" friends here carrying a bottle of something potent and a tasty treat are welcome...We''re thinking "toga" as the dress code - embellish freely..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Strolling Group on a Tuesday.

Started by Buster on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 11:06:47 AM
by Rachey
xx
Strolling Group on a Tuesday.

Started by Buster on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 09:29:52 AM
by Buster
xx
Strolling in Cappadocia

Started by chinacat on Other Resorts

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 11:56:32 AM
by M n M
xx
Strolling through Turkey

Started by Ozgur on Other Resorts

0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 08:43:47 PM
by Ozgur

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kas amphitheatre

Views: 3451
By: Babadag
Kalkan Map