Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antalya to Kalkan  (Read 5105 times)

Offline LordHarrington

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Antalya to Kalkan
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
Hello
Can anybody tell me what the journey from Antalya to Kalkan is like?  We are arriving for a month in August and one of our party hates windy roads with sheer drops etc.  Looking at a map it seems as though we would take the coastal road, does anybody know if this would be a hair raising experience for a person with a fear of heights?
Thanks for your help!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2829.0

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Antalya to Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »
I think you would be better to use Dalaman Airport as parts of the road from Antalya do look out over sheer drops into the sea.

The last part of the drive between Kas and Kalkan is as far as I am concerned one of the most beautiful in the world but if you were extremely frightened of heights it might not suit.

Regards Buster

PS:  You could always blindfold your passenger so that you get to enjoy the fantastic views ;D
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
Alternatively you could drive over the mountains via Korkuteli and Elmali - a bit shorter - not quite as pretty and deffo not quite so scary..!!

Cheers!

PS - the coastal drive is wonderful though and very spectacular in parts - especially the last bit as Buster says!

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »
I''ve driven several times on the last bit of the journey between Kas and Kalkan and agree that the coastline is just beautiful but haven''t ever thought that it would frighten anyone who has a fear of heights.  I had a transfer from Antalya for the first time when I went at new year and I wouldn''t rule it out again if the flights worked out better than Dalaman for some reason.  However, it is a very long journey and wouldn''t suit anyone who doesn''t travel well in a car (or if you''re extremely impatient to get to Kalkan!)

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »
I drive this route a lot and think the mountain road is equally as lovely at all times of year- especially when there''s snow on the mountains as there was at New Year, or during the spring/autumn months when the fields and flowers are colourful. Had beautiful drives over the mountains last summer too. I like driving through the towns and villages, stoppping at Kortukeli en route from Kalkan/Antalya for the best lentil soup and meatballs in the whole wide world! My favourite part of the sea route is the road to Kalkan from Kas - and this can be enjoyed easily on a leisurely scooter ride - although you need good padding!! I drive to Antalya very comfortably in 3 hours by car but don''t know how long it would take on a motorbike...it would hurt my rear end too much anyway and I try to avoid ''helmet hair''! :)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »
The coastal road after Demre up to Finike also has many twists and turns that could conceivably frighten your passenger.  As the most beautiful part of the drive is between Kas and Kalkan, and this you can do anytime, I too think the mountain road is your best bet.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline LordHarrington

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replies, what a great forum this is.  I''ll think we''ll take the mountain road based on your advise.
Thanks again!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
antalya bus to kalkan

Started by Mmm on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 06:48:48 PM
by Mmm
xx
Bus - Antalya to Kalkan

Started by Ashley on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 09:04:37 AM
by amber
xx
kalkan to antalya ?

Started by kazaroni64 on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 01:54:48 AM
by Bucellarius
xx
Antalya to Kalkan

Started by Kalkankiwi on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 08:35:40 AM
by DRBD

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal