Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Coast Restaurant.  (Read 6799 times)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Coast Restaurant.
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:53:16 AM »
I''ve just been looking online, showing a friend different Kalkan Restaurants.  The website for Coast, is no longer available - does that mean it''s the same for the restaurant?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2801.0
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Coast Restaurant.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
Coast Restaurant is re-locating into the Gironda Restaurant building - Gironda has closed down! I understand they were let down by a new chef that didn''t turn up and rather than run the risk of poor quality decided to close down. Halid and Tekin will concentrate more on their building projects and selling properties, plus of course the Just Silver shop during the summer. Coast will be up and running in their new premises for the summer.

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
Does it not seem rather odd that Gironda has decided to close (even before the main season starts) because they have been let down by a chef?  I would have thought they had time to try and find a replacement.  I understood that they were one of the more popular places to eat so it seems a little strange for them to have thrown in the towel at this stage.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »
Very very odd ???

Offline clarborough

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »
And so sad. Gironda served the best Margarita in town!!! I hope they do not change the decor too much I love the bar area.

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:01 AM »
On the outset, yes, I agree it would appear they had just given up too easily. However, this is not just a flash in the pan, the problem with chefs is something they have been struggling with since the season before. It is usually during the winter months that the restaurants review their situations, staff issues, menus and locations etc. They have their building development and sales business which is their primary source of income, plus the Just Silver shop. So they just got fed up with all the restaurant problems and decided to go back to their roots - they do build excellent properties.
I agree with you Clarborough - they did excellent cocktails, particularly Mojito - my favourite. I decided to do a comparison study last summer, (all in the name of research recommendations of course) and considered it to be the best in town!

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:45:29 AM »
I''m really dasa as I really liked Gironda and wasn''t struck on Coast, at least there are plenty of others to choose from

BJ
Carpe diem

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »
We ate at Gironda a couple of times and quite frankly found it not as good food wise as other places but more expensive..the surroundings are very nice and the little touches make it pleasant ..Tekin certainly has an eye for detail..we know him from his Adda appts days and his letoon picnics!!we go for a drink in the courtyard but thats all now...
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »
We ate at Gironda a couple of times and quite frankly found it not as good food wise as other places but more expensive..the surroundings are very nice and the little touches make it pleasant ..

Ditto that. It will be interesting to see what the Coast boys do with the place... Coast is one of our favourites and they are imaginitive and creative guys, so I''m sure it will be innovative, whatever they do.

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »
Hi,
Have to agree BL. Gironda was a nice place for a drink but none of our friends and family enjoyed their meals there. We did however have some good food in the Coast and hope the new venture goes well.
Looks like Rami is moving too!!! All the best to him as well.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
Roxie do you know where''s he moving to?

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
Rami is Adam''s brother (Adam''s restaurant another great venue) he is opening Havana restaurant. It is on the end of the street somewhere near the central carpark if I remember rightly.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »
Rami was one of the partners of Havana about 7 years ago.  Then it was a very successful restaurant.  Not sure why it closed but all the partners seem to go their own way and Rami opened up where he is now.  It will be good to see him back there.  The situation of Havana restaurant is superb with fabulous views , it is situated just opposite Cafe Zula.  Does anyone know if Soner is going with him?  I wish him well in his new venture.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 10:36:37 PM »
Gutted Gironda is closed but then Coast is also one of my favorites so all is not lost, hope they do not change the interior to much.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 07:35:18 AM »
I''m with you, Misty. I love the interior of Gironda - especially the courtyard.

I like Coast, although it''s not one of my most favourite places to eat, Someone once said on this forum that they felt like they were in Ikea when they were eating at Coast,and whilst I like Ikea, I hope they don''t do a Swedish style makeover of Gironda - I''d be gutted  :(

Does anyone know who''s moving into Coast''s premises?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
Hi Kalkan4eva - that was me....who said Coast was liking eating in Ikea..!!  (I''m keeping my head low!!).  :o :o

Neither of those my favourites - but its horses for courses.....!!!  As long as IBO doesnt close - and that IS my fav..!!!  :D :D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline killabeezz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
Any news of ''Jimmy'' or ''Hasan'' from Gironda ? ( Both top guys and very professional )
Hope they both have been re-employed or have found work elsewhere :(

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
Felicity...as you failed to get the cleaning job in Ibo''s you could try Coast they might take you on  :) :)

As for like eating in Ikea........you can''t get two large hotdogs and a cold drink for £1.75 in Coast !!!! 

I''ve also heard that it is one of the fast food chains looking at taking on the Coast premises...my only concern is if you siting in what was Gironda''s those big yellow illuminated double M''s across the way are going to be a bit off putting !!!! 

>:D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
you won''t get an after eight mint for £1.75 now they have the rent to pay on Gironda!! 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
Good point, BL. It''s a lovely spot and it will probably cost a fortune to rent - I really hope they haven''t made a mistake. I felt the food and the clean modern decor of the old Coast premises really complimented each other, and Gironda always felt like the complete opposite of that - very traditional.
Look forward to hearing the first reports of you early birders or residents when it opens. We''ll certainly be giving it a try when we''re out this year.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Coast Restaurant

Started by BAS on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2017, 06:23:11 PM
by BAS
xx
Coast

Started by kalkan4eva on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

17 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 01:08:56 PM
by EK Moderator
xx
Coast

Started by Alex on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 01:09:31 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Coast

Started by lolly on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 05:37:53 PM
by lolly

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

View of Kalkan

Views: 3501
By: claire
Antalya