Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Our first new year in Kalkan  (Read 5033 times)

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Our first new year in Kalkan
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:18:19 PM »
We went for our first New Years visit to Kalkan and thought we''d share our thoughts.

Firstly weather - really lovely in the day, like late spring in the UK and great for walking, touring and just relaxing. Pretty cool at night, definitely need winter coats and restaurants with a good log fire. Not as cold as Manchester by the sound of it, which went down to -7 on New Years eve. 

What to do? Well other than local walks, relaxing with a good book and catching up with friends, we found it a great time of year to see some of the local sites without the crowds. We visited Myra, Xanthos, Gombe, Patara and Saklikent. I''ve attached the link for some photos, as you''ll see many of the places were practically deserted. We also went walking with the lucky residents and even though it rained we loved the views over Olu Deniz.

New Years eve - Was fab, I think we made the right call. going to Kaya where we could stay by the log fire and have the extra electric heater in the background to keep off the chill. Plus the guys brought in extra special wines for the night, wonderful extra large king prawns and fantastic steaks. Many folk came up from the harbour restaurants to join us, having braved the cold despite outside braziers etc. What was also nice was that all the families came in and it was a really special event. Lots of dancing, singing and fireworks.

New years day- I believe we witnessed the first New Years Day swim which was a charitable event to raise money for eye surgery for a local waiter. So fun and worthwhile.

Eating out. As well as Kaya which offered great food and fabulous hosts, we went to Iso''s -never been before and was delicious, Sofra, I thought it was a bit pricy for what we got, but service was great , Trio as good as ever, and had lunch at what was Arena but can''t remember the name now, lovely guys who used to work at the Samira Deluxe.

Eating in. The fruit and veg was as fresh and delicious as ever, plenty of choice and all the shops / markets were open for the essentials. Great meat and fish so we could some wonderful feasts inside as well.

So overall view, loved it, even more relaxing, more time to talk to our local friends, and a great time to see some of the many fascinatiing sites that are around the area. Will definitely do it again.

Here is the link http://picasaweb.google.com/jamiesonbeverley/NewYear2008#
BJ

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2792.0
Carpe diem

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
Re: Our first new year in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »
Thanks for a great report, glad you had a good time - Ive moved this topic into holiday reports  :)

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »
Great photos, stunning scenery, especially the snow-capped mountains.  Looks like you had a fabulous time, particularly on New Years Eve in Kaya.  Erol and Kadir always the perfect hosts and those extra large king prawns are my absolute favourites!

Alison

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:06:09 AM »
Couldn''t agree more, weather cooler & wetter this year but even so, better than here in the UK. We love the Christmas/ New Year time in Kalkan & surrounding areas, so many different things to see & taken in.
Christmas not shoved in your face, but the New Year Build up getting stronger, all in all great time.  We walked along Kulova beach, the snow on the high mountain in the back ground, the sun shining and very warm, the sea & wind the quietest we have ever seen in the many years of going, collecting driftwood for our fire at home.  Good Chill time.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Pebble

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »
Lovely pics Bevjam.  Nice to see some of our good friends having a great time in Kaya on New Years Eve.  I am determined to be there this year.  ;D ;D

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »
Great report and photo''s. My OH has been nagging me for years to go out for New Years Eve. When he reads your post and sees your photo''s I may well have to relent!

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone. Went online today to look at TC prices for next New Year. Wasn''t sure if they''d be up yet. Cost has doubled year on year...... that really is taking the you know what

BJ

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
having been to kalkan for the last three  christmas and new years we have noticed that when thomas cook first release the flights for that time of year they are really high. just to test the market probably. you have to keep an eye on it as they go up and down. its a matter of catching them at the right time. the year before last we booked in august and got the two week flight for £179. we did not book the last one until october as they had started out at over £500! we got a flight going out with thomas cook and a return with onour air for £279. not so bad but we did notice that they crept up again after we booked.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »
The airlines are not daft I think you will see all popular destinations (mainly non euro zone) have been target for increases or no discounting.

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
Thanks IanB and Misty, I just wish other operators would fly over winter, it''s just a case of supply and demand. I''ll keep an eye on this and see if it reduces further into the year

cheers
BJ

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
Been keeping an eye on TC''s website, and maybe times are getting tougher for the big boys. I wasn''t expecting them to cut prices until May onwards for New Year, but they''ve halved it to match last years prices already, Manchester to Dalaman circa £260. So if you fancy New Year it''s looking more sensible.

BJ

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by pattaya on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 12:06:11 PM
by samson
xx
NEW YEAR IN KALKAN

Started by rushie on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 02:07:45 PM
by Reygirl
xx
Second year in Kalkan

Started by annawiththebanner on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 01:05:58 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by FrancisDonald on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 04:15:32 PM
by Roxie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mini Mee.JPG

Views: 2872
By: Lindy
Harbour