Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: cost of installing solar panels  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
cost of installing solar panels
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »
Hi all,
Just wondering as to how much it would cost to fit these to service our three bedroom villa. We can have as many as 8 people staying.
Thanks Steve

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2744.0

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: cost of installing solar panels
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »
For all the work, including panels, water tanks, plumbing, electrics, pump etc, expect to pay about 3000 lira.

We estimate that our solar panels save us about 100 lira a month in electric costs but we are a household of two. If you have a villa sleeping 8, with all those guests taking a minimum of two showers per day, you could probably save 3 times that amount.

Lantana

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
Thanks very much Lantana. It certainly seems to be saving you quite a bit. We will now have to see who can install them for us.
Thanks Steve

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:51:14 PM »
Is it correct that the solar panals only heat the water, or am I wrong and they are sufficient for other electrical needs?
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »
I expect the solar panels Lantana is referring to are just for water heating, to date I have not noticed any photovoltaic (electric) panels in Kalkan.

However, despite their high cost, given the size of my electricity bill last year it might be something worth considering. I would be interested in hearing, if anyone elso on the forum has any experience of installing then or information about their availability in Kalkan 

Regards

Alan

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:18:24 PM »
I''ve been researching solar heating and PV panels recently - I''m designing a new hot water & central heating system for my villa using solar heated water and a woodburning boiler stove. I would like to use PV energy to power the solar pump and control system but don''t think I''ll find all the necessary equipment in Turkey.

PV panels are available and I believe Benli can supply - I saw a small panel in his shop last week. I find the information on PV is a bit confusing. A 1KW panel is roughly 7 sq m but that, I believe, is the theoretical output - the best quality (expensive) panels are about 23% efficient and most give about 10-15% yield. So, you''ll need about 30-35 sq m of panels to produce 1kwh per daylight hour. In UK installing such an array of panels would cost about £30-40k (before grants that are not availkable here) and they would provide the equivalent of an average UK annual electricity bill (counting electricity sold back to the grid through reverse metering). 30 sq m of panels take up a lot of roof or garden space and recoup of costs would probably exceed my lifespan, so I''m concentrating on the heating side of solar energy until PV prices drop.

I think Lantana''s information is correct - you don''t have to spend a lot on a solar system just for water heating. The evacuated tube systems are more efficient but more expensive and not necessary in this climate - UK yes, Kalkan no. If you have an uninterrupted water supply (storage tank and hydrofor) the single roof tank type is ok. If you don''t, you''ll need the double tank (one above the other) system - the upper tank is a cold storage feed tank for the lower (solar heated) tank. Of course you can avoid roof tanks altogether by having an indoor storage tank system - more efficient but more expensive.

I hope my information helpful and (particularly regarding PV) is correct, but if it''s not I''m sure someone will correct me and I would welcome more expert knowledge.

Regards,

r2

Offline poacher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: cost of installing solar panels - less intrusive design
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »
We are looking to install (water heating) solar panels but are anxious not to disrupt the view of villa''s close behind us.  Has anybody come across a more ''compact'' installation i.e. one where the the cold-water feed tank wasn''t plonked on the top of the whole array?   I appreciate the ways these things work but but dont wan''t a tall structure on the very top of my villa.   I could place the panels & tank on the flat-roof of the villa but then it would be lower than the hot-water tank whivh is in a small room at the very top.   

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I''m not very technical - but what about installing a pump to pump the water from your solar panels to your hot water tank and around.  We have a pump on our roof to pump the water around when the mains pressure water is off.  It automatically kicks in when the water goes off so that we hardly know when the water is off (except for a slight drop in pressure) - so I''m sure something like that might work for you..??? ??? ???
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »
Poacher,

Yes, as I mentioned in my previous post. The following links should help you understand the systems that are available. The ''heatbank'' is probably the most sophisticated and flexible, allowing you to integrate solar, boiler, heat pump, wood burning boiler stove and electric energy as you wish. You could use a pv powered pump (requires a 60x30 cm pv panel) for your solar, so the relative heights are not a problem - you would need to use glycol in your solar circuit because it would not be a ''drainback'' system. Hope this helps.

r2

http://www.heatweb.com/
http://www.solareks.com.tr/en/Pumped%20System.htm

Offline micmac

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »
I wonder if frost is a problem in Kalkan? If not glycol probably wouldn''t be needed in a solar panel system. If you want to pump water around your solar panel without the storage/header tank you would need to store your water in a ''unvented cylinder'' which would pressurize the system to the mains pressure and allow you to store the water off the roof. this would also require pumps and controls. A bit more sophisticated than the atmospheric systems enjoyed in this part of Turkey. I don''t know about local by laws, etc so you would need to look into that as well. Hope that helps a bit. :)

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
Frost not often a problem but I have seen ice on puddles occasionally so I think glycol would be wise on a non-drainback system. The beauty of the heat banks is that they are fully vented and the water in them never changes, so there is no limescale build up. Hot water is at mains pressure but never mixes with the storage water, heat transfer is by an extremely efficient stainless steel plate exchanger. All pumps and controls are integrated into the heat bank. No byelaws to worry about and no special skills required - definitely safe for DIYers. Made in England but they will deliver to Turkey. I do not represent the company but will probably be buying their products.

Offline poacher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »
Thankyou, one and all, for your replies - I will give it some thought and then cime up with a cunning plan.

Thanks
P
 ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Solar Panels

Started by Super Saddler on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 04:11:55 PM
by Roxie
xx
Solar Panels

Started by Jik on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2014, 09:06:35 AM
by WaylonArocho
xx
Solar Panels

Started by Brandongirl on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2020, 04:54:36 PM
by felicity
xx
Solar Eclipse

Started by Blue Lizard on The Everything Else Area!

12 Replies
Last post March 22, 2015, 12:48:00 PM
by Chris_S

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan

Views: 2791
By: Lizilu20
sun