Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Will Kalkan be good value next year?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Will Kalkan be good value next year?
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
The tourist rate on Channel 4 Teletext page 546 shows the sterling to Lira exchange to be only 4.5% down since this time last year whereas most other currencies, including the Euro, are 25% down. However, the Turkish inflation rate is 8.5%, and hotels and restaurants and alcoholic drinks up more than 10%. So will staying in Kalkan be good value next year?  Certainly this June we found restaurants dearer than previously with big mark ups on wine - Rendezvous were pulling in extra trade by offering Angora at 20 Lira compared with 25 -30 elsewhere.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2699.0

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Will Kalkan be good value next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »
Hi
I am not sure Kalkan is ever good value for money. That is not why I go there.
What do others feel?
Em

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »
If you think Kalkan is too expensive then don''t go simple as that......

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:24 AM »
I know that for many people in the current recession, the cost of a potential holiday will be very important next year and they may have to make a decision about where to go based on the overall cost. However, unlike countries which have the Euro as their currency and which is predicted to be on a par with the pound within a month, Turkey does represent good value for money.

Kalkan is not a resort where things are cheap but it still can offer good value if tourists are prepared to seek out the very many places which offer good food at reasonable prices and be a little more adventurous.

As an example, we regularly eat at an excellent fish restaurant at the harbour which has a daily special of fresh fish, chips and salad for 12 lira. We don''t have wine when we are in restaurants, we stick to a gin and tonic. The local public beach offers all the facilities of the beach clubs, at a fraction of the price. So in the summer, we go there several times a week and an entire day for four, with sunbed and umbrella hire, lunch and various soft drinks costs about 30 lira. At the beach, you can also take a picnic and your own drinks, another way to reduce costs.

So if you shop around, and make a few slight changes to your usual holiday habits, Kalkan can offer still be enjoyed on a limited budget.
lantana

Offline don

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:26:42 AM »
Stayed at Kalkan now for several years,found the cost of hotels, food, drink etc, going up each year.
Spoke to lots of new visitors in 2008 who loved kalkan but will not return as the cost of eating and drinking
out was too expensive.That got me thinking is Kalkan killing the goose that lays the golden egg.?

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
I''m with Lantana on this. Kalkan has quite a few restaurants and bars where prices are still reasonable. If you eat at the harbour restaurants it can be expensive over a week. But once in a while is a nice treat. With the Euro so strong against the pound at the moment Turkey is becoming more popular than ever as a holiday destination. There are plenty of cheaper places than Kalkan for a holiday, but not many that have the same appeal.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »
I don''t think Kalkan should be marketed as a cheap resort - it''s not! I tell people it''s like a Cornish village but with turquoise sea and abundant sunshine. They should expect to pay the same prices for drinks, dinner, lunches out etc as they would in a Cornish village, but car hire will be cheaper, hiring accommodation will be cheaper and the fruit and veg at the market stalls is delicious and exceptionally well priced. Plus, you are guaranteed wonderfully warm welcome (that''s a bit hit and miss in Cornwall  :laugh:). If people go with that perception they will be pleased on so many levels, not disappointed because they expected everything to cost next to nothing ;) Other resorts are cheaper and "real Turkey" an absolute steal, but Kalkan has developed into a upmarket holiday destination and as a consequence, the prices reflect that - it happens. As Lantana says, you can still eat well on a budget if you''re prepared to seek out the restaurants.

I''ve had many a forgettable holiday on the South West coast and been fleeced for Cornish pasties, cream teas and some often average meals in top restaurants, taxis, accommodation AND it''s rained solidly for a fortnight!

you pays your money you take your choice  ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »
You certainly do...I like in Cornwall but holiday in Kalkan :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 06:26:49 PM »
I like Cornwall too, KP - I hope that didn''t come across as though I didn''t ??? The forgettable holidays have been when we''ve been in a caravan and it''s peed down for two weeks. We''ve walked the kids along the beach in August and made them take off their many layers to get a photo in their costumes, playing in the sand...because we were on a summer holiday!! Shouting "look warm" for the photo. :laugh:
I was trying to say you pay inflated prices in upmarket holiday resorts and you''d pay about the same in Cornwall, or any British rsort for that matter, for meals, drinks etc, but aren''t guaranteed the gorgeous weather we get in Kalkan.

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »
Not at all! My post should have read i LIVE in Cornwall but choose to holiday in Kalkan...ooops...but totally support your comments anyway! We shout ''look warm'' when we take photos, too! ;D

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:04:56 PM »
I still don''t see Kalkan being that expensive......what are these people comparing it to...to come up with these claims ???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan Good Causes

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 12:54:02 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
smiley
Good dentist in Kalkan

Started by MouMou on The Everything Else Area!

26 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 07:21:15 AM
by onelove
xx
Good press for Kalkan

Started by Kalkan Magic on General Discussion

31 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 09:18:05 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Another good holiday in Kalkan!

Started by HolmfirthNicky on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
by HolmfirthNicky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sidyma

Views: 3454
By: Alfaman
Kaya Restaurant