Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ten puppies  (Read 3103 times)

Offline AnnieM

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Ten puppies
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:32 AM »
Would anyone be interested in giving a home to a puppy?
The Turkish gentleman who owns a clothing shop underneath the bus station has a dog who has recently given birth to TEN puppies. He has no idea what he is going to do with them and I am not sure he can afford to feed them let alone feed the mother. Kapsa is aware of the puppies and I am sure they will do their utmost to find homes for them but maybe someone out there can help. The puppies are in a shelter outside his shop if you would like to see them.
Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2642.0

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Ten puppies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »
Maybe the owner needs ''doctoring'' for allowing this to happen. Kalkan has many ''starving'' dogs already, despite what others here would have you believe. Clearly a sterilisation programme will only work if people comply. I personally believe in culling an over-population of street animals - it occurs naturally and sterilisation, which does not, has other undesirable effects on animals - too unpleasant to mention publicly.
We have 6 cats at the moment - all rescued, nursed back to health, neutered and lovingly cared for. I say ''at the moment'' because the population varies. Usually we lose one or two in spring when the summer visitors arrive and ''steal'' them, and we gain one or two at the end of the holiday season when they are ''dumped'' by their summer owners. We don''t wish to be tied to the house by dog ownership and believe it is cruel to leave them for more than a few hours - they''re not as independent as cats, so any dogs that are ''dumped'' on us are cared for, returned to owners where possible or then taken to the kennels in Fethiye. I find it very distressing to see tearful dogs lying in the middle of the road, seemingly wishing for some driver to put them out of their misery.

r2

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »
I''m sure you will get many adverse comments, R2, in response to your posting, but I would like to say: "well said that person!".

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 04:44:35 PM »
neuter and return sadly is not the answer for the dog population of a small village such as kalkan. neutering a male dog only stops him from reproducing, but the urge to pack, mate and fight in such a senario remains the same from my experience. i currently have my dog in season (yes she is spayed but such a poor job was done by a local vet a few years ago that it still happens though she cant conceive) and once again have a number of dogs around the house fighting and being a general nuisance. all but one is a neutered male. we have children here and so of course the dogs are an extra worry, esp as one is known to have bitten a local child in the summer.
speaking to folk around the village, the general feeling is that the numbers must be reduced, it is a minority here who want to maintain these dogs. i know of people here who havent had an unbroken nights sleep for weeks because of stray dogs running around and howling with the mosque first thing. surely people come first and animals second.

Offline Wonderwall

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 06:15:14 PM »
I''m not sure about "people coming first and animals second".  Who are we to say that we deserve a better life (or even just a life, come to that) just because we are one species and they are another?  Without bringing religion into it, but simply from a moral/humanistic viewpoint if one prefers, then the fact that we are more evolved surely gives us some responsibility not just to cull because something wakes us up in the morning?  There are human beings on this planet who are less worthy of a life, in my opinion, than some animals.

Offline AnnieM

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
I do agree with Rat2 that it`s the owner`s responsibility to neuter their animals but we all know that`s not happening much amongst the Turkish pet owners, most of whom feel neutering their animals is too expensive. I have offered to pay/contribute towards having this dog spayed at a later date and have been in touch with KAPSA but unfortunately there are still 10 puppies to think about. I`ve lived in Kalkan since March and have only recently realised how many stray/abandoned dogs and cats there are. Have some of these animals been abandoned by English residents returning to the UK?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:49:07 PM by AnnieM »

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
I know this topic provokes strong feelings but can I remind members to keep on topic.

AnnieM was asking for homes for the puppies, not inviting a debate on neutering versus culling.

Thank you

Offline chunky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
I have to agree with Rat2, never a truer word said. Peoples, or should I say the caring sharing do gooders, opinion will change their opinion once they become affected by the inherent problems.
Can somebody tell me, what happens to all the doggy do, as there never seems to be any on the roads etc? ;)

Offline Random

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »
I''m sorry I''m actually a little bit confused as to where Rat2 is coming from. He says
I personally believe in culling an over-population of street animals - it occurs naturally and sterilisation, which does not, has other undesirable effects on animals - too unpleasant to mention publicly.
Then he goes on to say
We have 6 cats at the moment - all rescued, nursed back to health, neutered and lovingly cared for
Please, please tell us in the nicest possible way what these
undesirable effects
are and did you know about them when you had your cats sterilized?? If you have information like that surely we should be allowed access to it too. Heaven forbid we only learn about it after having our little precious neutered!
And Chunky I''m not going to ask which part of Rat2''s comments you were referring to but are you complaining that there isn''t enough doggy do on the streets?

All these people who complain and try to put down what the Kapsa volunteers are doing need their brains tested. Yes, maybe there are too many animals on the streets of Kalkan (As far as I know from reading threads on EK, Kapsa has never denied it) but just think how many more there would be if there had been no neutering done at all. In another thread by Kapsa I think they said they had neutered 14 female dogs in the last month or so and that had they all been allowed to reproduce the odds are that 100 more puppies would be on the streets come the spring. Why don''t you all stop griping and give them a hand instead?? I am sure the problem of street animals could be alleviated more quickly if people spent as much time rounding up animals for neutering as they do on line complaining about others!

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
 :( In reply to Rat 2 regarding "Summer Owners" my wife and I have been summer owners for the last 6 years after a one eyed dog was abandoned near our kalkan home. he adopted us! we took on board the plight of us leaving at the end of season and came to an arrangement with a Turkish neighbour who agreed to feed him with the food we left in our absence. this arrangement has worked for over six years now and it is a joy to return and find him still sitting on our steps.
 on a sad note another very old dog "adopted us"in the spring and we looked after him until the end of season . His health was failing and we worried that he would starve in our absence, so after the opinion of two vets we made the  heartbreaking decision to have to have him put to sleep.
We are back out for Christmas and look forward to seeing our one eyed friend.
Good luck with the ten pups. Hope they get good homes

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Patara and Puppies

Started by macrefield mom on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 06:25:05 PM
by macrefield mom

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal