Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Aubergines  (Read 7755 times)

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Aubergines
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
Following on from the ''what''s in your kalkan fridge'' topic. I thought it might be intersting for forum members to let on about their favourite ways of cooking an aubergine. this versatile vegatable is called a ''patlacan'' in Turkish and in kalkan there is a very popular restaurant named after it. it''s in the harbour near to ''Salt and pepper''s except it''s down the steps and along a bit. by Trios
  My OH loves aubergines and I am always having to think up exciting new ways of cooking them to keep him happy, he even eats them with his bacon and eggs in the morning.
  So any tips on livening up an aubergine dish would be greatly appreciated as I''m running out of ideas

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2360.0
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:08 AM »
when you buy your aubergine ..throw it away and eat the bag ..it will taste nicer! ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
See an earlier cooking post for a link to a recipe for Imam Bayildi (and try the real thing at Kaya!)
The French dish Ratatouille also has aubergine as one of its main ingredients.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »
I''m with Blue Lizard on this one....unless it''s smothered in lots of other things to give it flavour, I''m not a fan  :P. When you roast it with other veg, it goes horribly rubber-like and is always left on our plates...yuk!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:27:15 AM »
Dear Hel66

This starter was given to me at a dinner party and was so delicious and looked so good with the striped slices of aubergine that I asked for the recipe which is as follows:

1 or 2 large aubergines, cut vertically in long, thin strips.
Brush strips with olive oil on both sides.
Cook in batches on a ridged skillet, turning them regularly until browned in stripes.  As each batch is cooked leave it to cool on kitchen paper.
To serve, place on a large flat dish and sprinkle with lots of crumbled feta cheese and chopped parsley, add salt & pepper.

I must confess, I haven''t tried to do it yet as I need to get a mandolin to slice the aubergines next time I''m in the UK. I hope you''ve got a steadier hand than mine!

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »
Thanks very much for that butterfly, I will certainly try that.
 I was told of a lovely recipe the other day with an aubergine.
cook an aubergine in an open flame until soft,peel it, mix into a bechamel sauce and cook with cheese. It should end up like a puree
 I think I''ve found the mystery of the popularity of the aubergine and the need for Turk women to be constantly lighting and cooking on real fires.
  It''s absolutely delicious. My OH has had it three times already this week!!

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »
Lucky man ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »
Lilly :o

Offline Del

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »
The best recipie for aubergines is the Italian Melanzane. Peel the aubergines, salt and drain in a colander for 30 mins. Toss in flour, fry in olive oil till slightly brown.
Prepare as a lasagne with a tomato sauce with lots of garlic [no meat], morrazella &  parmesan cheeses. Finish the dish with sauce & then parmesan cheese. bake for 30 mins in a medium oven & finish under the grill to brown if necessary.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »
Here are 2 recipes from the Lazio (Rome) region:

Baked eggplant with parseley & garlic paste --
Cut the eggplant in half.  Fork it and salt it, place it cut side down on a plate for 1/2 hour to drain off some of the "bitter" moisture in the eggplant.  Meanwhile prepare the topping: chop up a lot of parseley and garlic to taste.  Mash this together with olive oil and some salt until you get a rough paste.  Use a mortar and pestle or a blender. Spread paste thickly on cut sides of eggplant, place in oven dish brushed with a touch of olive oil, cook in medium oven until eggplant is soft (fork enters easily).

Pasta a la Norma -- sometimes called pasta al forno
Ingredients: canned or ripe peeled tomatoes, salt, pepper, tomato paste, fresh basil, olive oil, fresh mozzarella, grated parmesan.

Crush or cube the peeled tomatoes. Prepare a thick but simple tomato sauce with the tomatoes, a soup spoon of tomato paste, a lot of fresh basil, salt, pepper and olive oil. (no onions, no garlic).

Slice the eggplant(s) about 1/4" thick, fork, salt and drain them.  Then fry them in a bit of olive oil (the more you drain them, the less oil they absorb).  Drain the fried eggplant slices on Scott towels or equivalent.

Slice the mozzarella fairly thinly (buffalo mozzarella if possible. Should be very light, not dense or hard).

In a casserole dish brushed with a bit of olive oil place a layer of fried eggplant, then cover that layer with several slices of mozzarella, then add a layer of tomato sauce.  Make at least two layers, ending with any remaining mozzarella.  Top all with parmesan. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes.

Simple, filling, nutritious, delicious.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 12:03:45 PM »
Dear Del and Cosetta

The recipes you''ve given sound delicious BUT what could be used as a substitute for mozarella that''s sold here?

On a similar vein, I should really appreciate if someone could tell me:

the proportions and ingredients to make up self-raising flour;

what could be used instead of creme fraiche in a recipe;

or would know of places where you can buy gelatine, cinnamon sticks, vanilla pods and sea salt crystals;

or has any other tips on replacements for vegetables that appear in European recipes that you can''t buy in Kalkan such as celery and asparagus.

Butterfly

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
A pretty awful hard local Turkish mozzarella used to be sold here but I haven''''t seen it this summer except at Migros in Fethiye.  What else you could use ... not sure, maybe fresh kasar sliced.  Because of mozzarella not being available here, I wait until I go somewhere that I can buy it to make any recipe calling for mozzarella.

Creme fraiche ... the only substitute I know is cream mixed with whole yoghurt.

Gelatin you can buy in Yali.  Comes in a small flat package.  Should be in the baking section.  Cinnamon sticks are sold in the market.  Rock sea salt, never saw it here.  Vanilla pods, there is only vanilla sugar.  Best is to bring them from the UK next time you come.

Asparagus exists but later in the season.  I bought celery stalks 2 weeks ago in Fethiye Migros.  The first time I''ve ever seen them.  They do sell celeriac in the market but that''s not the same thing.

Offline Del

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
Hi Butterfly, you can add baking powder to plain flour, usually 1teaspoon to 225 grams of flour to create self raising flour. If you can''t find baking powder you can add cornflour to bicarbonate of soda which will work fine. Add more if you are baking sponge cakes etc but if making a dough, pastry or batter 1tsp is 
sufficient.
Can''t really suggest an alternative to mozzarella, very thinly sliced halloumi may work but I''ve never tried it.
If whatever you''re cooking requires celery personally I would omit it, add a liitle extra onion & possibly some fresh parsley.

Hope this helps.

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »
Dear Cosetta and Del

Thank you so much for your helpful replies.  My mouth is watering thinking about the lovely new aubergine recipes I''m going to try.

Butterfly

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
baking powder = kabartma tozu

corn flour = mısır unu

bicarbonate = karbonat

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal