Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Back to reality  (Read 6303 times)

Offline philpot

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Back to reality
« on: August 16, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »
Just back from 2 sun drenched weeks in Kalkan(first time). The place is lovely,we were up above petrol station commanding stunning views. The roadworks did not affect us at all and we were very close. The dogs were seen but rarely heard, the mozzies/flies/wasps were no problem(we saw none of the first and only about 4 of the others!). In fact it was a complete joy. We had a car from Adda for the duration so heart attack hill did not give us palpitations. I did walk down and back 2 or 3 times, Im sure I sizzled when I jumped in the pool to cool off on my return. We only ate out a few times as we had several barbeques and ate at the villa taking in the views. The food where we ate was delicious, the entire Kalkan working population that catered for our day to day needs were extremely charming, and so friendly, a truly nice experience. The guys at Adda were so helpful on our arrival, even showing us how to use aircon etc, which was way beyond what was expected. All in all a truly lovely place and thoroughly to be recommended. In fact the only thing that took the edge off it (apart from coming home), was the pilot announcing on our descent through the clouds (dont you just know youre getting near home), that the temperature in Gatwick was 17 degrees( I still cannot get warm!)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2224.0

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: Back to reality
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
Hi Philpot glad to hear you enjoyed Kalkan, it is indeed a very special place.  We must be somewhere near you as our villa is also just above the petrol station and I sure am missing those views at the moment too!  Roll on September.  Charlie

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do this report Philpot.
Glad you enjoyed your holiday and that the roadworks did not spoil it. It is good to receive a postive report from a new visiter to Kalkan.
Thnak you
Joan

PS We always enjoy reading the Holiday Reports so if anyone else would like to post on their holiday in Kalkan, please feel free  :laugh:

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
I second that Joan. Just love reading the holiday reports and so glad you had such a lovely holiday Philpot.

Offline philpot

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »
Thanks for responses. I will attempt to upload some photos in due course. I just think its good to report the good things-some people are very fast to complain when things go wrong and say nothing when all went well. I forgot to say how lovely Kalkan is in the daytime-our photos cofirm this, it transforms to magical at night. Charlie, we were at villa Panaroma, just up the new road on the hillside behind AEG.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »
Ooh, piccies as well even better!!!
Definitely not enough pictures of where people have stayed(acommodation) and Kalkan itself on the Gallery. It sometimes helps when trying to describe where a particular Hotel, shop or restaurant is. :laugh:

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:16:14 PM »
Hi Philpot

We are also staying at Villa Panaroma in Aug 2009. Any info you can give us about the villa would be much appreciated. I guess because it commands wonderful views that it must be a long way uphill! The owners website says 10 mins walk to town, is this an exaggeration?

Also did you use any taxis back from town after a few beers? I was wondering how much a taxi would cost to get us back to the villa?

Thanks in advance.
Live for today, plan for tomorrow, party tonight!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »
10 minutes into town from above the petrol station is... errm, a slight exaggeration... 15-20 mins is more like it. Probably more like 25 mins on the way back up with a full stomach - so taxis are going to be essential, I would think! :(

Spectacular view, though. :)

Have never actually used a taxi in Kalkan myself, so can''''t comment on prices I''''m afraid.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:40:00 PM by MartynE »

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
Don''t reignite the Taxi debate........ LOL

We stay just up from the Samira Deluxe and I think the Taxi''s are a very fair price...they may have even come down a bit with oil prices being at a record low..... :)

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
We timed the walk down at New Year 10mins to Omars, 15 mins to roundabout which is where the town and restaurants start.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 08:23:21 AM »
EnjoyKalkan Safety

Some posts removed  ;)

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
Wow! I never thought a couple of simple questions from a newcomer would start such a debate (before the removal of said posts!). They were genuine questions and it was never my intention to ignite anything.

Thanks to those who were genuinely helpful and any other info on Villa Panaroma (e.g taxi prices back from Harbour, nearest supermarket, proximity to main roads etc) would be much appreciated.

The website info stated that a hire car wasn''t necessary, I''m beginning to think that we may need one, particularly with a 10yr and a 4yr old child in tow. Does anyone know if the taxis will take kids without us having to lug child car seats into town?

Many thanks  :)

Justin

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »
I would not hire a car parking drinking and driving etc......we enjoy the pleasant walk down everynight into town varying the route for interest.

We never walk back as its to far and to steep after a night in town, you will have no problems with the taxi''s and children. The only advice I would offer is to go for the new mini style people carrier taxi''s as I feel they are safer that the older ones.

We also tend to do a mini shop each evening for a few items and there is no way I will carry them back either !!!

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
LivingProof
Is this your first visit to Kalkan? If so, it''s difficult to explain the location of this villa to you if you do not know other local landmarks.

I walk past this villa almost every day with my dogs, it is in a beautiful situation, with spectacular views but it is very far from town. I once walked into town from just by here, in late May when it was about 32 degrees. I am fit and walk at least two hours every day. It took me half an hour to reach Yali supermarket - the nearest well stocked store and I thought I would pass out when I got there.

To get to the beach or harbour from there would be a further 15 minutes. The main problem with this location is that the down hill walk is also very steep - some of the roads have a descent of 1 in 3 and even managing to keep upright is not easy.

If you are coming in summer, there is no way a 4 year old could manage the walk into the village in the heat - in July and August day time temperatures of 36 - 44 degrees are the norm ,that''s 96 to 111 degrees fahrenheit.

No taxi here has child seats and there are no regulations requiring them. This is a place where you see 12 year olds driving scooters and where two parents and two children on a motorbike (all without helmets) attracts not even a passing glance.

If you hired a car, this would be a spectacular location, without one, with small children, I think it would be very stressful and exhausting.

The taxi fare last year from the harbour to this location was 18 lira per journey. If you estimated 2 return journeys per day, car hire would be cheaper and would give you much more freedom. There are plenty of local companies offering rates of £ 20 - 22 per day even in peak season.

Lantana

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »
Hi Justin,  

Welcome to what we consider our piece of paradise!  Our place is the right hand side above the petrol station (not far from the Samira Deluxe) and we always hire a car.  This serves as our transfer (particularly if you''re only visiting for a week - it doesnt cost much more than a transfer) and then we have the car for running around in during our stay.  I just like to have it to know that we can ''nip'' to the shop or go to the beach clubs when we like.  Its very very hot in August (we''re there from 22nd July until 12th August) and I don''t walk far in the daytime!!  However we usually stroll into the village of a night as we like a few drinks and we always get a taxi back.  The taxi''s charge a different price depending on time of day/night and on our last visit in October we paid 8-13ytl depending on where we got the taxi from - its quite a bit cheaper if you stroll up past the taxi rank.  

I can''t see it being a problem taxi''s taking your children without their carseats - if your happy to not use them.

Enjoy!!

Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
I would not hire a car parking drinking and driving etc......we enjoy the pleasant walk down everynight into town varying the route for interest.

We never walk back as its to far and to steep after a night in town, you will have no problems with the taxi''''s and children. The only advice I would offer is to go for the new mini style people carrier taxi''''s as I feel they are safer that the older ones.

We also tend to do a mini shop each evening for a few items and there is no way I will carry them back either !!!

Thanks Misty

No I wouldn''t ever drink and drive but it seems as if a hire car is the most cost effective way of getting about. I will reserve my drinking for when I get back to the villa  ;D

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
LivingProof
Is this your first visit to Kalkan? If so, it''''s difficult to explain the location of this villa to you if you do not know other local landmarks.

I walk past this villa almost every day with my dogs, it is in a beautiful situation, with spectacular views but it is very far from town. I once walked into town from just by here, in late May when it was about 32 degrees. I am fit and walk at least two hours every day. It took me half an hour to reach Yali supermarket - the nearest well stocked store and I thought I would pass out when I got there.

To get to the beach or harbour from there would be a further 15 minutes. The main problem with this location is that the down hill walk is also very steep - some of the roads have a descent of 1 in 3 and even managing to keep upright is not easy.

If you are coming in summer, there is no way a 4 year old could manage the walk into the village in the heat - in July and August day time temperatures of 36 - 44 degrees are the norm ,that''''s 96 to 111 degrees fahrenheit.

No taxi here has child seats and there are no regulations requiring them. This is a place where you see 12 year olds driving scooters and where two parents and two children on a motorbike (all without helmets) attracts not even a passing glance.

If you hired a car, this would be a spectacular location, without one, with small children, I think it would be very stressful and exhausting.

The taxi fare last year from the harbour to this location was 18 lira per journey. If you estimated 2 return journeys per day, car hire would be cheaper and would give you much more freedom. There are plenty of local companies offering rates of £ 20 - 22 per day even in peak season.

Lantana

Cheers for that info Lantana.

Yes this is our first visit to Kalkan and in fact to Turkey (this is just about the last Med country we haven''t visited). My wife found Kalkan on the internet and it was love at first sight hence our 2 week holiday last week in Aug/ first week Sept.

One of the reasons we chose this villa was its proximity to town, 10 minutes walk, or so we were informed! So I feel a little annoyed that we have been misled. It wouldn''t be so bad just the 2 of us but with 2 kids I feel a hire car is essential and isn''t something that we had budgeted for. We certainly won''t be eating out much if that''s the case. I must take some of the blame for obviously not doing enough research and believing everything I read on the websites.

On a lighter note the pictures look fantastic and I''m sure we''ll have a fab time. I must say that by and large everyone on here seems very friendly and helpful and I''ve learn''t a lot already!

Justin

Offline Livingproof

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
Hi Justin,  

Welcome to what we consider our piece of paradise!  Our place is the right hand side above the petrol station (not far from the Samira Deluxe) and we always hire a car.  This serves as our transfer (particularly if you''''re only visiting for a week - it doesnt cost much more than a transfer) and then we have the car for running around in during our stay.  I just like to have it to know that we can ''''nip'''' to the shop or go to the beach clubs when we like.  Its very very hot in August (we''''re there from 22nd July until 12th August) and I don''''t walk far in the daytime!!  However we usually stroll into the village of a night as we like a few drinks and we always get a taxi back.  The taxi''''s charge a different price depending on time of day/night and on our last visit in October we paid 8-13ytl depending on where we got the taxi from - its quite a bit cheaper if you stroll up past the taxi rank.  

I can''''t see it being a problem taxi''''s taking your children without their carseats - if your happy to not use them.

Enjoy!!

Useful info there Turkeyfan, thanks! Definitely looks like we''ll have to hire a car as the taxi''s seem quite expensive, I was hoping they would be Cyprus prices!

We''re staying from Aug 24th - 7th Sept (last 2 weeks of school hols) as we figure it''ll be less hot than the rest of the school hols (well at least the sun won''t be quite as strong).

Really looking forward to it and thanks again for the info!

Justin

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »
Hi Justin - you''re not the only one to fall into the ''10 minute walk'' trap!  I believed the same thing when I booked a villa for my first visit to Kalkan and found that it was way above the town.  However, we soon got over the disappointment of being unable to walk and because the weather was so hot in August we just spent most of our days lazing in our beautiful private pool and didn''t feel the need to go very far.  At least after the first visit I didn''t make the same mistake again - and I''m sure this won''t be your first and last visit to Kalkan so you''ll benefit from getting to know the place for any future bookings.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
If you have an old lightweight buggy why not take it with you so that you could push your 4 year old into town and hook a booster seat on it. The booster seat could be used in the restaurants to make a better table height. You could then do a mini shop before you get a taxi home (and use the booster seat in the taxi) so it would only be a one way taxi. The supermarkets deliver if you are doing a proper shop. You also might not want to go right down to the harbour every night and may eat in a restaurant nearer your accommodation, making for a cheaper taxi.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I'm back !

Started by fidimax on Introduce Yourself

17 Replies
Last post February 22, 2013, 05:16:47 PM
by fidimax
xx
Back again

Started by lilly on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 02:29:11 PM
by lilly
xx
Just Back

Started by pattaya on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 05:36:39 PM
by pattaya
xx
BA are back!

Started by Cuddles on Flights and Travel

33 Replies
Last post August 14, 2014, 03:16:17 PM
by Chris_S

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Teardrops

Views: 2117
By: headroom
Kas Harbour