Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Taxi Dispute  (Read 33546 times)

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Taxi Dispute
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
 :-* Thanks Felicity.!!

Offline kevsimo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »
Hi again,

Cosetta made some excellent points which reflect the information that I had also been given about the local situation.

Obviously sensible long term solutions lie within the local political & business community. The taxi drivers clearly need greater regulation in terms of how many operate, the prices that they try to charge and their threatening behaviour towards  local businesses and tourists.

Clearly avoiding using them whenever possible and staying more local to town etc may start to hurt them financially. But as I mentioned in my original post my concerns lie with my friends at Paradise (and other villa owners) who are a little further out of town and risk losing business because greedy taxi drivers are dictating how they operate their business. I also resent the fact that the actions and attitudes of the drivers should start to dictate where myself and others can book our holidays.

I am encouraged that so many people are obviously in broad agreement, but also a little frustrated that nobody in the local community can apparently see the bigger, longer term picture. I will stop as I am obviously preaching to the converted, but once again appeal to everyone and anyone on the forum who can exert any local pressure to try to do so.

Many thanks KS

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »
Hi,

Being new to this forum, I have just spent about an hour reading through all the posts on this thread. As a non-drinking, car-owning Kalkan resident, I have never had occasion to use local taxis, but I sympathise with those who have. I am, however, affected by the situation – it is often impossible to park close to the local supermarkets because of the number of taxis parked immediately outside – their drivers then have the gall to accost me and mutter insults when I refuse their services.

I agree that boycotting will hurt the taxi drivers, but I don’t believe this is an effective solution to the problem. The number of cars in Kalkan has risen dramatically in the last year or so, partly perhaps because of boycotting, and Kalkan has only exacerbated the problem by increasing the No Parking zones. The parking problem can only get worse, particularly when the new development on the hill above Akbel, similar future projects and existing empty properties become populated.

It’s probably a good thing the Mayor doesn’t read this forum – as Cosetta has told us, criticising him is maybe not good for one’s health. To have the power they obviously have, taxi drivers are probably protected by a ‘higher authority’ – with a reputation for being a similar health hazard. ‘Kalkan Taxi ‘ is clearly not a ‘family business’ but a cartel of owner drivers.  I would guess that the company is in a no-lose position, taking a percentage of takings but not having to compensate individual owners when they ‘go bust’. The Mayor is clearly responsible for issuing too many licences – I wonder why?

I think my ‘solution’ to the problem would be on the lines of:

• Cut taxi licences by 50%
  • Provide a low-cost ‘park and ride’ service with 3 or more car parks. The new grossly under-utilised bus terminal car park could be one and others could be located at KiÅŸla and Kalamar. DolmuÅŸ should run at, say, half hour intervals (with a published schedule) and stop at strategically placed intermediate, clearly marked fare stages. This service could provide employment for drivers displaced by 1 above – if they’re not too greedy. A maximum of, say, 3 taxis should be allowed to wait at the car parks to take overflow passengers who don’t want to wait for the next bus.
  • Taxi fares should be strictly regulated with appropriate fines for over-charging.
  • Full-time Kalkan residents should have permits to use the limited parking space in the centrum.

I think our influential Turkish friends should be asked to put such suggestions to candidates for the next local elections and ask for the problem to be addressed in their manifestos. If not addressed, the problem will escalate and just be another nail in the coffin for Kalkan’s future as a tourist resort.

r2

Offline jane on hols

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2008, 12:03:48 PM »
Is this dispute still going on? we arrive in 2 weeks, and usually we walk to the Kalamar beach club, but rely on a "free" taxi to take us back. Will this still be the case, or would we have to walk back up that hill?
Thanks, Jane

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
Hi jane - unless anything has changed in the last few weeks - no free taxi to and from the Kalamar beach club.... >:( >:( :(  Sorry
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline jane on hols

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »
Oh dear, they must really be suffering then, as I for one will not use the club if i have to walk back up that hill!

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2008, 01:38:27 PM »
Are they still running free water taxis to any of the beach clubs? 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »
Jane..if you ask them to call you a taxi, the man behind the bar will do so..... or he might say"madam!you are a taxi!!" ;) ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2008, 02:59:02 PM »
John
Do you know what they are like uphill with about 3 litres of Efes onboard?
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »
Last night I learned some new information from an influential member of the Turkish community here regarding the taxi situation.  Apparently some -- perhaps most -- of the shuttle buses and boats being operated by various hotels, pansyons, beach clubs and supermarkets did not have a license to offer these shuttle services legally. A general meeting of taxi drivers and businesses and hotels took place. The taxi drivers complained about the illegal shuttle services being operated.

Since then, some of these same establishments have applied for a legal license to operate shuttle services, and that should be forthcoming ... eventually.  At least one hotel has gotten a licence and is operating a shuttle service.

It was suggested that anyone taking a taxi request and require that the taxi meter be operated throughout the journey, however short.  If the driver will not oblige or says it is broken, don''t take that taxi.

The other suggestion, mentioned here already, is find a specific driver you feel is honest and reliable, take his phone number, negotiate a price with him but don''t broadcast it to others (or here online).  And, very important, do not call your friendly taxi to pick you up at any supermarket.  The supermarkets have assigned taxi drivers and an outsider coming to pick you up there will cause a fight, verbal or otherwise.  Meet your driver a short distance away.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
I think the licence issue may be just a red herring used to try to justify stopping the shuttle bus services. When I was at the Samira Deluxe recently I was told the service was fuly licenced but this made no difference to the taxi drivers opposition to the service.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
Cosetta - are you saying that all the taxi boats operated by the beach clubs and hotels have also stopped now?  I have asked this question a few times but noone has replied?  Would be interested to know so that I can inform my villa guests.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2008, 08:04:11 PM »
My understanding is that the beach clubs shuttles have stopped but as i don''t use them myself, hopefully someone else can confirm if any are operating or not.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »
maybe the taxi cartell are going to run a yellow submarine from the harbour? >:D

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
At last - the perfect solution to this problem.  I will rent these out at £10 a week.  Any takers?

http://arthousedesign.co.uk/powerblades/products.html

John  ;D

No good for my mother in law then, weight limit 300lbs, she''d need 2 sets.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline kevsimo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
Thanks again to Cosetta and r2 for a more informed opinion & some good suggestions. I do hope that there are genuinely moves afoot behind the scenes to resolve this issue.

With respect to the beach club water taxis, these were all running as normal two weeks ago. Particularly enjoyed the Palm Beach Club.

Regards KS

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2008, 05:58:05 AM »
beach club water taxis are running.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Taxi prices

Started by nerissa on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 10:33:21 PM
by bwp
xx
taxi number

Started by deepasforever1 on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 07:13:35 AM
by deepasforever1
xx
Kalkan taxi

Started by alisa_wonder on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
by DRBD
grin
Cheaper than a Taxi!

Started by Rudolf Hucka on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 07:17:35 PM
by Chris18648

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

70''''s night at Kleo

Views: 4010
By: alisonh
Korsan