Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Taxi Dispute  (Read 33557 times)

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Taxi Dispute
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 06:19:45 PM »
Hi Kevincat
Well I think that''''s where they''''ve got us. Villa owners are unlikely to abandon there villas even if they could afford to, and if they sell, it''''ll be to another villa owner. Villa owners will do everything in there power to keep a happy smiling Kalkan image because they want the rental income from the foreign tourists of which there are a potentially infinite number.
  I think that local politics may go something like  ''''If you vote for me I will guarantee xy&z for you'''' and ''''the newly found wealth from the tourist trade will be divided amongst ourselves thus'''', I don''''t think it''''s quite the free for all it appears, it''''s probably much more organised, This is a small town, outside business isn''''t welcome because it upsets the agreed cakesharing already in place
 Shuttles cut into the taxis business so they feel agrieved, without them there''''s more cake
 What we do as tourists without a vote is up to us, but if you don''''t get in a taxi someone else will
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:51:05 AM by kalcamp »

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »
I don''t care about taxis disputes, burglary''s, or any of the other negatives things,I LOVE KALKAN and cant wait until 18th August and have just booked the New Year there too  8)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Do we think its time to lock this ?

Welcome your opinions

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
personal opinion is that it shouldn''t be locked. In the feint hope that anyone with any influence in Kalkan is reading this then locking the subject may make them think that tourists don''t care about the subject. It seems that it''s pretty obvious that many people do care and are angry at the current situation. Only my opinion of course and others are entitled to disagree.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 07:36:13 PM »
More than happy not to lock it if there is still new viewpoints or comments to be added  :)

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 08:07:20 PM »
Agree with itstime - can''t see the need to lock this thread.

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
I didn''t mean literally ''I don''t care'' I do care, but it won''t stop me going, I was just feeling excited about going and thought ''What the hell I don''t care about these things''.  :-X

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
Jon
Keep it open as this is a serious topic that effects everyone here - whether it be tourists or residents
It seems symptomatic of some Turks views be it taxi drivers - restaurants or builders - that foreigners are only here to be exploited
It really needs to be sorted out otherwise it will be to the detriment of everyone - including the Turks themselves
Kalkan is already the most expensive place in Turkey and people will go elsewhere

Offline slodge

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 10:06:39 PM »
The whole ''taxi dispute'' will not stop me going to Kalkan but i will make sure that i stay within walking distance of the Town.  I just feel very sorry for those individuals who own business either up on the top road towards Kas or far out in Kalamar bar.  If the situation continues surely visitors will just hire cars and the taxi drivers will still get no business

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
I have just heard from a Taxi driver who tells me that business is very bad!! This must mean that the boycott of taxi''s and people walking is starting to have an effect.  If we all keep walking something must eventually give.  I know this is difficult when your villa is way up the hill, but you could always get a taxi just half way and walk the rest.  It''s worth giving it a try and tell the taxi that you can''t afford the whole journey.  I take the taxi up from the harbour to the taxi rank and then walk the flat part along the Kalamar Road-they don''t like it but I always tell them the fare is too much for the whole journey.

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »
Jon
I would like to see the thread remain open, at least for a little while. the taxi debate was locked last time and i don''t understand why ? the level of contribution to this thread demonstrates the passion for improving Kalkan and getting it back to what it once was. To lock it would be to "brush it under the carpet" as has been remarked upon
There are many more pages /threads on say restaurant reviews so to lock for reasons of repetitiveness does not stack up.
The rules of the forum should of course be respected at all times.

I think that the taxi drivers should try and find ways of optimising their business - look for opportunities, such as offering villa owners a competitive discount if their guests use a particular driver, doing a deal with the supermarkets and beach clubs and restaurants to encourage the use of taxis. Campaign to be allowed to operate at a rank in the harbour area to give guests a cheap way up the steep (albeit short) hill etc etc.

if it comes down to politics and the voting of the locals, then surely even the taxi drivers who are eventually forced out of work will think twice on where they place their X on election day along with all the other locals whose businesses have failed due to decline rather than expansion.

If this forum can make a difference due to the continued concerns of visitors and villa owners then maybe, just maybe someone will listen.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 10:14:15 AM »
A side effect of the high taxi fares will be a change in the make up of visitors to Kalkan.

We have a large villa that in the past was let out to large families or two families traveling together. Over the past five years, we had built up a number of regular visitors, but after last year when they arrived to find taxi fares doubled and our arrangement with the Samira Deluxe for them to use the hotel shuttle cancelled, all decided to holiday elsewhere this year.

We have managed to replace these bookings but mainly with groups of 8-10 young people (so far the villa is intact) fo whom the taxi fare is not such an issue as they either walk to and from Kalkan or split the taxi fare.   

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
From talking to our local friends, problems began because the Samira Deluxe offered not only a shuttle service to their guests but to all the local villas. Apparently the shuttle ran continually, taking people into town and back as well. I can understand how this would have caused huge resentment to the taxi drivers, who were obviously seeing a lot of potential custom taken away from them.

Of course, it has now got completely out of hand and unfortunatley their actions are going to harm local business in the long term. We usually spend several days of our holiday at the beach club at Kalamar but because this time we had to pay for taxis we only went once. The problem there is that the beach club paid the drivers a flat rate for a taxi ride regarless of where it came from in Kalkan and they now want the journeys metered.

The only way I see things being resolved is if a rival taxi company started up in kalkan or that some sort of compromise is made between the local businesses and taxi drivers.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
Jayne,

Your friends are misinformed, the Samira Deluxe had been offering use of its facilities including the shuttle bus for many years (at least 6 to my knowledge). In fact many of the local villas were built by the owners of the Samira and use of the shuttle bus was part of the purchase agreement.

Regards

Alan

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »
Hi Alan

I do not dispute that the service ran for many years, however what started as a shuttle operted solely for guests and a then a handful of villas, extended to everyone in the area, both into town and back.

Jayne

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »

whilst there last year (august) SD were operating shuttle bus for guests only (intermittently  between taxi abuse), and at set times of the day  not continually.
whilst I was there this year they tried operating the shuttle bus for guests only at set times  (only lasted one day before being closed down)

It appears the SD have tried to compromise

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
I''m sorry but I don''t quite understand what all these exchanges of grievances are going to achieve? We all know that the taxi drivers are out of order but what can anyone do about it by posting these stories? If the owners of the various apartments and hotels can''t or won''t do anything about the situation then what good is it doing when we all moan about it? What is needed is some of the more influential people of Kalkan to become involved, how this is done I am not too sure but a lot of us must know perhaps one person who could voice our concerns to the relevant authorities. Yes businesses are suffering but if they are complacent about it then the only thing to do is boycott the taxis. I know it is a matter of concern to a lot of people as to whether to drive or not to drive but to pick up a car at the airport and drive yourself instead of getting a transfer will cost as little as £135 per week, the current rate for transfers is around £90, yes the tank has to be filled and petrol is expensive but you would have a vehicle at your disposal for the duration of the holiday. Taxis are costing from £4 per trip, multiply that by 2 (round trip) and then by numbers of trips during your stay and a hire car soon becomes a much more attractive proposition. We always advise guests to hire and we have found a good company which we always recommend. Seeing surrounding areas is poor bonus and quite frankly I find driving in Turkey a pleasure, stay away from the bigger towns and the roads are a doddle and on the whole very quiet.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline bluefudge11

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
I am not sure  what these exchanges will achieve other than keeping forum members informed about things that are going on in Kalkan (oh wait a minute isn''t that the point). What is the point of continually telling people that the restaurants are good in Kalkan or the people are friendly or the views are great. Are we suggesting that we should only continually discuss the good things?
I think the more the issues are highlighted and discussed then the more  likely something may  be done,

If i had booked through a travel company and sold a holiday that included a shuttle bus then i would be asking how I would be compensated for the extra cost of a Taxis - maybe the likes of Thomson have some influence.

Hiring a car is fine unless of course you fancy an Efes or  two with your meal and your transfer is not included as part of the price of the holiday

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »
I was told but cannot confirm that some local gov folks are occasionally reading this forum, and I think they do know that people are disgruntled over the taxi issue.  However, taxi licenses are part of the spoils.  The few times we rented or lent our villa, we informed our guests they needed to rent a car and they did so with no complaints or problems.

I don''t see the point of closing the thread simply because it is the only outlet for foreign guests to highlight what needs to be improved and this issue is decidedly a problem.   If Kalkan gets a new local government in 2009, maybe a new solution will be found.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »
Headroom
I am not sure whether you live in Kalkan or not but your view that everyone should hire a car - wow !!
Have you tried to get into the centre recently or park - it''s a nightmare - we need less cars here, not more
As for you advising guests to hire - as bluefudge11 rightly says who wants to drink and drive here [or anywhere] so people don''t come into the village at all
It may be that your guests and other villa owners guests don''t want to hire a car - and don''t want to pay for expensive taxis and eventually don''t want to come

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan taxi

Started by alisa_wonder on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
by DRBD
grin
Cheaper than a Taxi!

Started by Rudolf Hucka on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 07:17:35 PM
by Chris18648
grin
Water Taxi

Started by sausagedog on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 07:53:54 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
new taxi prices

Started by samson on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Oli & Beth @ Fenner

Views: 77
By: antler
Olu Deniz