Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: water tanks and generator  (Read 3118 times)

Offline katmanjock

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
water tanks and generator
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:38:53 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Just back unfortunately and feel I need to improve my apartment.I read an old thread from DRBD regarding the installation of a water tank.I think Charlie was going to get back to you with info on the cost and wondered if you if you or anyone else can tell me approx  cost to have one installed.I will only have 4 people at a time in my apartment.Also does anyone now approx costs for a generator that would suffice and where to buy one.

many thanks
Kev

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2155.0

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Re: water tanks and generator
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »
I don''t know if a genny is necessary. A few people I know have battery powered storage systems for low - energy requirement essentials such as lighting. You might look into that as a cheaper alternative?

A water storage tank on the other hand is vital. No costs I''m afraid since the villa I bought came with a vast 30,000 litre reservoir with flow switched pumps to all outlets.

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »
Best to go to Benli, opposite the market entrance and down the road a bit. 1250ytl for water storage, pump and all the pipework and fitting. They''re reliable and if it doesn''t work properly they''ll gladly come out and make sure it does, as long as you talk to them nicely. Good luck

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 06:39:10 AM »
Katmanjock   have pm''d you.  DRBD
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline katmanjock

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info,its most usefull.I will check out Benli and in the cooler month of October it will be a pleasure to walk around inquiring at other shops.Thanks again

Kev

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »
One of my neighbours installed an above ground 2000 litre opaque polypropelene tank about 2 years ago. His apartment isn''t used much and now it is a lovely shade of bottle green inside thanks to algae.
A friends'' engineer son, who works with water and stuff, advised me to not install a reservoir at all as it is a breeding ground for all manner of nasties.
Better to use water from the pool and smell of chlorine than risk legionaires disease.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline katmanjock

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »

Hi Grumpygrampy
Great name wonder where you got it from!!Thanks for your info,something to think about,I wont be getting a large tank but really need to have a shower in the height of summer and want to clean dishes as the smell and mess isn''t too pleasing.I need to find out what type of tank suits my limited use and how to clean/avoid legionaries etc.Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Kev

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »
Kev,

Our water tank was already there when we moved in so no idea of cost I''''m afraid.  As far as back up electricity is concerned, I looked into the cost of a generator and found it to be quite expensive - sorry I can''''t re call the price, but I think it was several hundred pounds. 

What I did instead was invest in a battery.  It is only connected to a limited number of electrical circuits, but it will give us light, TV and internet for up to 4 hours.  This is normally more than enough.  I wish I could remember if it cost 200YTL or £200, but whichever, I thought it was good value.

If you want details of who installed it just let me know.

Regards.  John

Hi TheFeds,    Could you please let me know the name and contact number of the guy who installed it for you, sounds like areally good - quite cheap - idea.....thanks
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:05 PM »
Some information on water storage and tanks.

1) Tanks should be positioned so that they are in a cool place. Idealy water should be stored at 7*C or below, to prevent bacteria growth. Tanks should not be positioned in direct sunlight.
2) The Tank should be well insulated to prevent heat gain.
3) The tank should be made from a ''neutral'' material such as UPVC or glassfibre with a smooth internal surface.
4) Any metal components inside the Tank should be made from a non-ferrous material.
5) Water should be drawn through the Tank ie: inlet at one end and outlet at opposite end.
6) The inlet water from the ball valve should ''fall'' into the Tank to stir the water to prevent stratification.
7) Tanks should be sterilised with a small amount of Sodium Hypochlorite solution (Chlorine) at a dose rate of approx. 50 parts per million.
8) Overflows should be provided with a mesh screen to prevent insects crawling up them.
9) Any access hatches should be made of the same material as the Tank and be securely fixed with air tight seals.
10) Any breather vents should be fitted with mesh screens.

If the above, is carried out then you will have good quality water. However, in Kalkan many of the Tanks are simply concrete or brick boxes rendered on the inside. So I would not recommend drinking the water from them.
The other point to consider, is that most Tanks are located underground or at the side of the pool and are therefore below the draw off points inside the house. This means that they will require a pumping/pressurisation unit to deliver the water to the point of use.
You should also consider the use factor. If you have left your property empty for a long period with no water draw off, then run the taps for a while to get some fresh water into the system.
I would recommend that Tanks are Sterilised on a regular basis, say once a year.   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cleaning your water reserve tanks

Started by Cosetta on Living In Kalkan

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 08:33:17 PM
by felicity
sad
Septic tanks

Started by limetree on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 11:06:21 PM
by teke
xx
Toilet paper and septic tanks

Started by felicity on Accommodation and Hotels

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 09:27:54 PM
by felicity
xx
Water Water every where but none to drink

Started by tiamaria on General Discussion

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 10:39:37 PM
by tiamaria

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal