Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Second year in Kalkan  (Read 3130 times)

Offline annawiththebanner

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • Everything comes to those who wait!!
    • Share Post
Second year in Kalkan
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:18 AM »
Hallo everyone,
Well we have been back for only one week and miss Kalkan so much already. The water cuts did not dampen our spirits but maybe the town announcement system could let visitors know by announcing say in English as well as Turkish so we may have had a chance of knowing in advance and preparing by filling baths etc.
Kalkan is stilll the same magical place and the Kalkan people are so friendly and helpful if a little more intrusive than last year, when looking around shops and passing by restaurants in the evening. Haldun, a young barman at the Kleo beach bar was a breath of fresh air always full of smiles and he became ''our son'' for the week. The only downside compared to last year was the amount of ''stray'' dogs wandering around and a tremendous fight broke out at the above bar one evening as all were enjoying a sunset drink. Two dogs had been lazing around at the feet of customers and three other dogs appeared and caused a full blown fight which ended up just about on the table of a group of customers and this could have been very nasty as the dogs were totally out of control. We were at the next table and felt it was not the ideal way to relax. Later on it was up to a customer at the neighbouring restaurant to strike a dog to break yet another fight up. I am an animal lover and did not enjoy seeing this but the dogs should be shown by staff that they are not welcome to join the customers of their premises. Has anyone else noticed this increase in the dog population since last year. Some of the dogs are tagged and we would like to know what that means.
Apart from this our second year in Kalkan just made us want to return again and again. The whole town has a special aura around it and was our best holiday yet. Being in our 50''s did not deter us from letting our hair down one night at the Moonlight Bar and dancing our little legs off for an hour.
The beach is still so clean and inviting and lovely to see the Turkish families strolling along it in the evening from Grandma down to babies. We will be back!!!!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2091.0

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
Re: Second year in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
There were a couple of nasty dog fights when I was there in May which were quite upsetting.  It is noticeable this year that they are going around more in packs, seem more vicious towards each other and not so many are tagged.  Apart from that, I think I also had the best holiday so far in my several visits to Kalkan.

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
I have noticed an increase of dogs over the years, I personally am a little bit scared of dogs so sometimes it''s not very nice when they follow you everywhere.

I think the reason there are so many dogs is because the tourists feed them, to me there is nothing worse than having a nice meal & there is someone next to you feeding the cats & dogs, it''s not nice having a cat jumping up you to get food or a dog sniffing round you while you are trying to eat, I think it''s a little bit unhygienic!

I don''t want this to be a negative posting about Kalkan, it''s just an observation and it definitely never spoils my time in Kalkan.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »
I am a huge dog lover, but still feel a bit uncomfortable when the larger beasts are barking at or following me, especially further away from the centre.  We saw what could have been a nasty incident near to the taxi rank.  Some teenagers were milling around by the top of the road down to the harbour.  Two large dogs barked at each other nearby and one of them, in running away, almost knocked a young girl off of her inappropriately high shoes.  Luckily, she did not stumble too far, choosing instead to drop to the floor, to the obvious amusement of her friends.

That said, I would rather see the cat population more aggressively controlled that the dogs.  But, overall, I do not theink that there has been any great change in numbers over the 4 years for which we have been visiting.  On the positive side, did anyone else see the puppies at Doyum or the giant and sleepy alsatian at Belgin''s Kitchen?

Offline peun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »
I don''t often reply to posts, but felt I could throw some light on the subject of why some of the dogs in Kalkan have tagged ears.  This is because they have been neutered.  If you see a cat with a bit missing from its ear, this is for the same reason.  Linda from ABI and colleagues collect money during the year then pay a vet to come and do this.  There do seem to be a few more packs of dogs running around this year, but not nearly as many as when we first came to Kalkan around 11 years ago. 

Offline jstjdsunshine

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
Something needs to be done about the dogs, see my positive reports on the last two weeks in Kalkan, elsewhere on the forum, however dogs are an issue. I witnessed a brutal dog fight which upset my kids, and most nights the stray dogs woke us up barking - it was annoying. There were also a lot of stray cats and again cat fights woke us up on occasion.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »
Please could we start a new topic about dogs so this holiday report doesn stray off topic

Cheers (and sorry for the pun!)  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by pattaya on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 12:06:11 PM
by samson
xx
NEW YEAR IN KALKAN

Started by rushie on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 02:07:45 PM
by Reygirl
xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by Roxie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

17 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 02:50:52 PM
by chris
xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by FrancisDonald on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 04:15:32 PM
by Roxie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal