Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: taxi strike  (Read 6558 times)

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
taxi strike
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »
be warned....taxi drivers are apparently on strike saturday 19th july for one day.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2046.0

Offline JACQUIVIVA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: taxi strike
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »
Why are they striking ? and are they likely to strike again, Rudolf do you have the number of Sherpa who has the lamas they may be needed  :)

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
Nearly but not quite. I understand that there is to be a meeting with Taxi Drivers, Hotel Owners and Restaurantsand the local authority and as a token the taxi fleet will stop work whilst it takes place.
Could it be that at last the "fishing fleet" of uninsured drivers offering cheap fares and transfers is to be questioned.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »
bryher
I thought the Taxi''s in Kalkan were all registered. Are there un-registered yellow taxi''s plying their trade around the village?
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
With respect Sir you miss the point of my reply. At no time did I suggest unlicensed taxi cabs "running round the town".  Unless you are totally unaware you must know that some English residents are making transfers to Dalaman etc.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »
John - as we all know there are non Turkish people in Kalkan who engage in working illegally, which is what I believe Bryher is referring to whether it be "chauffeuring people to the airport or building work or villa maintenance etc etc ....
We are all entitled to take friends to the airport, but as you say not strangers for reward

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »
John

You know very well that I was not referring to taking family members to and from Dalaman, I do it myself of course.  I was referring to those who regularly make transfers for money. Please can you not always try to make a joke of a post. After our recent truce I felt some affinity in our love of K and our mutual respect of the local people.

Not to deliberately upset the regulars again but surely it is wrong to take away what is legitimate Turkish business, properly insured and taxed and substitute what must be an uninsured business enterprise since the equivalent of a UK PSV licence is required in Turkey for anyone carrying passengers for profit and it includes cars even carrying just one customer.

Perhaps someone could convince me that I am wrong. Cost is not a good reason.    

Thank you Kevincat, exactly what I was saying    Tom

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
Hi
The word ''gosh'' suggested a joke was about to be made to me??
Em
Em

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:27:44 PM »
Well, add me to the uninformed.  The only non-Turks I know who are doing business here are in partnerships with Turks and are running regular, visible, legal businesses.  However, it doesn''''t surprise me to learn there may be some doing illegal business, but I don''''t know them.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »
I don''t understand why the word "Gosh" implies a joke about to be made.

Offline panda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
I just had to join in order to put straight the remark about people working illegally in Kalkan, lets put the record straight how many people can put hand on heart and say that they have a work permit. I have heard that they are very hard to get and why should people have the nerve to take work away from Turkish people.

I am sure that anyone that writes on this forum that has permission will quickly reply.

Panda

Offline kalkangrover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »
I think this thread has gotten a bit off topic but apparently the "meeting" between taxi drivers, hotel owners, etc. must not have gone down too well as there are reports of fights breaking out. I saw one hotel employee today with black eyes as a result.

Kalkan Grover

BTW - I work in Kalkan legally with a work permit. If you''re keeping tally Panda, put one in the plus column.

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 11:14:15 AM »
There are also quite a lot of girls out here that have dual nationality that most of you would not be aware of. Thus a work permit is not required.

Just looked at the title of this thread and then what i have posted thats one huge deviation!!!!!!!!!
Not sure if anybody wants to move this post.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
Last night the taxi drivers were surrounding the hotel shuttle buses and trying to prevent people getting off in Kalkan, leading to the fightıng. We spoke to a family who were on a bus while this happened, they eventually managed to get off but were pretty upset and worried about how they were going to get back to their hotel in Kalamar bay.

The reason given for the strike, by drivers at the taxi rank, was that the hotel owners had refused to discuss to halting their shuttle services, there was no mention of Dalaman transfers being an issue.     

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »
Hi
It is a shame that there are arguments and possible fights over the taxi/hotel minibus service issue. If I am right, I seem to remember messages about this some time ago? Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can enlighten us?
Em

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
When I was in Kalkan during June it was muted that the Hotel that I was staying at were considering a return shuttle at night ,only one . Some days later the Manager told me that it was being challenged and that a meeting would have to take place.Last year whilst we were there some holiday makers were ,allegedly,pulled from a hotel shuttle bus.Later that week a shuttle bus driver was punched by a taxi driver ,allegedly.I say this because of course I was not witness to any of this.
My Son took me on holiday for my birthday this year and we had a wonderful time.A considerable cost however was added to the holiday by taxi fares at night to return.Some 12,some up to 18ytl. per journey depending on the time.Multiply that by fourteen and it is a considerable cost.(plus tip).My Husband and I have always accepted that as part of our holiday,but it did come a bit hard this year. I have to accept that I will have to stay nearer to town in future (as back surgery prevents me climbing the hills ) ,and I love my usual holiday Hotel.Surely,there must be a compromise ?Chris.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »
I asked our taxi driver last night if there was a problem with the Dalaman transfers, he said there was the problem being the low prices being charged by ADDA and others undercutting the taxi prices and taking their business.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
can''t they see that Adda and other transfer companys are bringing people to Kalkan..many of which will be Taxi customers during there stay?
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »
I didn''t think Kalkan licenced taxis were allowed to collect you from arrivals anymore - only private tour operators like Adda, Enes, Abi etc...I think it extends to any licenced taxi that''s not from Dalaman ???
if that''s the case, the private tour operators aren''t the problem for Kalkan taxi drivers, it''s the authorities in Dalaman.

The REAL problem is less people are using taxis because of the fare hike!!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »
Hi kalkan4eva - you are right the Kalkan taxis can take you to Dalaman but cannot bring anyone back as their " taxi colleagues " at Dalaman operate the same restrictive policy i.e they can bring people to Kalkan but cannot return with another fare.
This means that they always travel empty one way so have no possibility of getting a return fare to defray their expenses.
I suppose that some other operators such as ABI and ADDA may be lucky enough to be able to do this and travel both ways full.
But the simple solution in this obviously competitive business, would be for Kalkan taxis to match the other operators fares - or is that too easy ??

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

grin
Water Taxi

Started by sausagedog on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 07:53:54 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
new taxi prices

Started by samson on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 09:09:59 AM
by MartynE
xx
Water Taxi

Started by caradog on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post October 16, 2019, 10:11:05 AM
by caradog
xx
Taxi Dispute

Started by Annie on Flights and Travel

136 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 05:58:05 AM
by kalcamp

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3316
By: tramline
Babadag and son