Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Buying Property in Kalkan  (Read 5628 times)

Offline harrisonp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Buying Property in Kalkan
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:03:21 PM »
Hi, my name is Paul and this is my first time on the forum, I am considering investing in property in Kalkan but am nervous about it! Can anyone give me info on the property market in Kalkan, good, bad or ugly! As much info as possible would be great!

Thanks

Paul[/color]

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1831.0

Offline harrisonp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Buying Property in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:09:57 PM »
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

I would recommend you use the search facility on this forum as there have been numerous posts on this subject.

In a nutshell you will find a whole range of experiences, from those who feel they have been ripped off, to people like myself who are 100% happy.  As Lantana said on a recent post – caveat emptor applies here in Kalkan as much as anywhere else in the world.

If I could offer one piece of advice it would be get to know who you are considering buying from before you pay a single penny.  Find out independently about people who have bought from that seller.

You may be aware that there is currently a legal problem preventing the sale of property to foreigners, however it is expected that this will be resolved.

John

Offline marking

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »
It''s very easy to buy a property in Kalkan,
 Expect the unexpected once you''ve paid your money.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
"in a nutshell you will find a whole range of experiences, from those who feel that they have been ripped off".  John its not a question in some cases of people thinking they have been ripped, its a case of they Have been ripped off.  We have friends and know of people in this situation still.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »
Easier said than done sadly :(

Offline freeat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:28:43 PM »
DRBD          What could be simpler than naming a name, why is this a problem?

Offline rhythm

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »
Hi Paul and EK fellows,
Unfortunately we have been hearing these stories about villa owners who are having trouble with their villas even after 1 month of their purchase, or who are in court with the builders. Let me tell you what has happened here shortly:
In kalkan we have such holidaymakers who has been choosing kalkan for their vacation even for last 15 years, and of course they have had so many good, local friends (I am a local as well) in shops, restaurants, bars etc. Right after foreign investment burst out 6-7 years ago, these good, local friends were not late to make their own way to earn money, actually with a good will which was helping their old, good foreign customers/friends have a house here, and of course they would earn money. That was where the problem started: These good friends who may be the best in cooking, driving, hotel management etc. started building villas for their clients/friends; without a licence to build, without experience in the field. Finally the roofs were leaking, the door handles were coming off in the first year of the building etc. and I have some british friends (villa owners) here who had to rennovate their 1-2 years old villas spending 20-30 thousand pounds.
Here are my suggestions Paul and EK members who think of buying here:
-Like the Feds said, find and talk to those who have bought from the seller,

-Always ask and check for invisible costs of the building: architectural plans, isolation, insulation, the material and workmenship quality, the quality of the concrete they use for villa and for the swimming pool (separately) etc. These are invisible but essential costs of a house, which should make you think twice when you are preferring to buy the, say, 5-lira villa to 7-lira one

-Please do check if the architect and the builder is chartered. There are people in kalkan who are qualified in both, but more people who knows nothing about it but keep building.

-You can compare&contrast 3D works of a particular villa and the villa itself of the builder as there are people who couldn''t get what they were promised.

-Even better to check architectural plans of a former building and literally walking in the villa, checking if builder has really done his/her job or cut down on the expenses instead.

Don''t be shy, dont think that you owe them because they offered you a tea, beer or a dinner but ask these points. Eventually you are not only buying a villa but buying a life here, which must be nice and happy right from the beginning. And that is what we deserve, isn''t it?

Best wishes,

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »
Better still, don''t buy a new property at all - buy one that has been there for several years so that any snags will be readily apparent!  ;)

Offline harrisonp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 07:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the prudent advice. I will be out in Kalkan in July for 11 days viewing severall properties.

Would I be right in saying that some prices are dropping at the moment?

REgards

Paul

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:55:39 AM »
There are a large number of resales on offer now, not sure if you''re looking for an apartment or a villa? Either way the good thing about a resale is that the snags have normally already been found, the surrounding buildings are normally in place and quite often the furnishings are in with the sale so you can redesign things at your leisure.
We have one apartment for sale in our block of three and I know the price has been held but will accept offers is very much a part of the conversation

BJ
Carpe diem

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »
Turkish news today reported property prices continue falling and no end to this in sight.
Foreigners can''t buy property at the moment, there is a ban.
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
See thread ''change in law effects foreigners purchasing property and land''

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Do you regret buying property in Kalkan ?

Started by Honey on Buying A Property & Real Estate

14 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 10:05:57 PM
by hobbo
question
ban on buying turkish property

Started by theinspector on Buying A Property & Real Estate

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 05:07:26 PM
by Christine Kalkan
xx
Buying Property in Turkey

Started by Hummingbird on Buying A Property & Real Estate

3 Replies
Last post December 13, 2021, 06:10:14 AM
by bella9525
xx
Buying "village" property

Started by Poly on Buying A Property & Real Estate

0 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 01:04:26 PM
by Poly

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal