Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just back from first visit to Kalkan...did we like it - no!  (Read 12102 times)

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Just back from 2 weeks in Kalkan - did we like it?  No - we LOVED it  ;D 

After a 5 hour delay on our flight from Glasgow  :-[ we arrived at about 6am, with dawn giving us a breathtaking first view of Kalkan bay...the magic had begun.  Stayed at the Bellamina apartment at the Emir and it was perfect in every way.  Apt kitted out beautifully and the Emir is in a great location with fabulous pools and views.  Brilliant.  After a doze and waking with that glorious realisation that we were on our hols with no work and no worries and guaranteed warmth and sun we were grinning - and spent the whole 2 weeks with broad smiles at our holiday choice.  Had our first lunch at Trio - lovely and we just marvelled at the deep blue of sea and sky as the sunlight sparkled on the water.  Had we arrived in Paradise?

We spent most days lazing by the pool at the Emir, chilling and swimming.  Lunch in most days - simple bread (how divine is Turkish bread?), tuna, cheese, delish salad and those wonderful tomatoes.  It''s so good eating fresh, local produce that''s not imported, forced, chilled and tasteless.  Goes some way to explaining the 5lbs I gained (nothing to do with the Efes and wine consumed - honest!).

We treated ourselves to a private boat hire for the 2 of us - went on the Zeus with Mehmet.  Had a brilliant day and we even helped to catch fish for our lunch which Mehmet barbecued along with lamb and chicken kebabs, fabulous salad, aubergine etc.  Thanks to the forum for the recommendation - it was a superb day and Mehmet is delightful.

We also did a jeep safari - again highly recommend it.  Started at Xanthos which was heaven for me as I love Greek/Roman history.  It was wonderful to wander round the ruins, see the mosaics casually covered up with gravel.  Loved it.  Then we stopped off at a carpet co-operative.  It was actually really fascinating to learn how silk and carpets are made.  The women weavers work at a blinding speed.  The inevitable hard sell wasn''t too bad, and the fact that we already have 3 Turkish carpets which turned out to have been bought from one of their sister co-operatives meant they left us alone sharpish!  Then on to lunch by one of the river-side places by Saklikent.  A very good lunch with high quality produce - created with care and thought, not a typical "coach-party" experience.  Lovely.  Then off into the gorge.  Cannot recommend it highly enough - what a laugh - especially the initial wade across the stream!  We wore our Crocs which were ideal.  A few folk hired the shoes there and all complained that they were uncomfortable and no different to having bare feet as they could feel every stone and pebble.  So, get Crocs or other waterproof (and secure) footwear.  Then off road again on the way to Patara''s west end. We didn''t swim, but had a romantic walk along the beach - lovely.  Then back to Kalkan.  Superb day, and only 2 jeeps so not many folk.  Perfect.

Restaurants - you''re not joking when you say there are too many restaurants to count!  Now, what follows is our personal taste and what we like will no doubt be different to others'' opinions...so here goes! We went to Aubergine on our first night and were disappointed.  Felt it was all style and no substance - had far better and cheaper meals elsewhere.  Our favourites turned out to be Coast, Kosk and Ozalp, with Akin''s and Kaya not far behind.  Coast has a very different feel to everywhere else - both in menu, service and decor.  It was the only restaurant we went to that had women working  - and they were lovely.  Brilliant service and delicious food.  The steaks were incredible - the Marble steak (like a pierre braziade for those who''ve tried that in the Haute Savoie in France) was perfection, as was the Jameson steak.  The bar is a good place to sit and people watch too.  Ozalp was just lovely with fabulous Turkish/Ottoman cuisine - again impeccable service and good fun too.  Kosk was dignified and one of the waiters must be George Hamilton IV''s brother - uncanny similarity!  The most beautifully presented food, and delicious to boot.  Akin''s and Kaya and so cheap and delicious - I''m a convert to Menemen and if anyone has a recipe for it please could you send it to me?  We sometimes stopped at Utopia for a drink or two- another great spot to people watch and marvel at how many folk can fit on to one small scooter (our record was 4 full-grown men and the scooter still managed to make it uphill!). 

Shopping - horrendous!  How do you choose from so many lovely places?  I got 3 bags from BSG after much deliberation and searching (my OH was amazingly patient!).  Not all for me...my Mum is going to be more than happy with her Hermes Kelly!  Bought pashminas for all my girlfriends, OH bought excellent quality T-shirts and a lovely pair of shoes from the market.  Wonderful! 

So, did we enjoy Kalkan?  You bet!  I was prepared to bit disappointed - could all the comments on this forum be right?  Could all these people really have claimed to have found the perfect place for a holiday, or were they all taking the same medication?  :D  You''re all right - Kalkan is special.  It reminded me of some of the wee Cornish fishing villages with narrow winding streets leading to the harbour - except with guaranteed sun and the genuine, infectious hospitality and good nature of the Turks. 

We loved it so much we''re contemplating doing something we''ve never done before - going back to the same place!  Kalkan''s magic has got under our skin and we need another fix!

Can I thank Jon and all the forum members for the wealth of information and insight the forum provided - it was invaluable in helping plan for the holiday - a fabulous, perfect, wonderful holiday! 

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1755.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
Re: Just back from first visit to Kalkan...did we like it - no!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this report.
I always think that a "First-timer''s Report" is the best independant opinion that this Forum can offer.
Thanks again
JoanH

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
smashing that you liked it!welcome to the club!!must admit you had me intrigued with the heading "did we like it NO"..you are also right in what you say about the waiter who looks like george hamiltons brother...he sometimes joins us for a drink in the moonlight after work,the safari was our favourite as well ,high up in the mountains ,clean air and terrific scenery ...great!! and no carpet co-operative either,haven''t eaten in Coast yet but it''s on our "to do" list for in a couple of weeks time......i just know you will be back? ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »
You poor things - you have obviously been bitten by the bug as well. Don''t say you weren''t warned!

Coast is our favourite as well. Well, one of our ten faves anyway...

...however, there is one thing you didn''t mention that most people rave about after their first visit... the toilets! You know what I mean, especially if you went in Kosk and Coast - but did you try Ibo Terrace?  ;)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »
I agree infact I''m battling out with Felicity as to who will get the job as cleaner when on retiring out to Kalkan....I have age on my side so I''m favorite to win......back out in August and looking forward to sampling the delights  ;) ;) ;)

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Have to agree it is a shocking place isnt it, shockingly addictive, as you travel around the world you end up comparing everything to Kalkan and whilst there are many wonderful places so far for me every other one has a little something missing when we compare, got the shake''s already as this year we are giving it a break HELP and trying out Akyaka please god I hope it is good. Glad you had a super holiday.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
What a lovely report ! It reminded me of how I felt the first time I visited Kalkan.Even though Jon and I have had our house in Kalkan for 2 years now we haven''t explored much so there is still lots we want to do and the jeep safari is definitely on my list. I agree about Coast, did you try their desert cocktails?? Mmmm Divine. Only 1 day to go until we go back and I''m so excited ;D 

Julie xx
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:39:36 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:11:18 PM »
So glad you had such a lovely time. Reminded me, not that I need much reminding, of just why I love Kalkan. Twelve years and counting, I still can''t help feeling overwhelmed with joy when I see that first glimpse of the bay. Back out in three weeks time and simply can''t wait  :)

Offline Hilary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
This fab report is just contributing to how much we are looking forward to our holiday. Not long to go until August
thank you

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:20:28 AM »
What a lovely report, thank you. So glad you loved Kalkan and equally as glad that you found this forum so helpful. Well better go .... got a flight to catch TODAY!!!!!!!!!

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »
So pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your first visit to Kalkan. We''re going for the first time in ten days time, have been really looking forward to it for months. After reading such a glowing report about your holiday getting even more excited now, (didn''t think it was possible). Always great to hear someone else''s first impressions. Thanks Rachey!!  :laugh:

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments on my report!  What a lovely forum this is  :D

MartynE - I forgot to mention the loos!  All the places we went to had spotless facilities - but you''re right, those at IBO are just beyond belief!  I walked in and just laughed - amazing!  Food''s nice there too.  I also forgot to mention Gironda - what an amazing bar they have on the first floor - beautiful.

Now we''re looking to book again mid/late September after the Ryder Cup has finished.  The trawl of the internet for an apartment and flights begins today!  Then just have to clear the leave with our work and the next countdown can begin  :)

Offline chris coomber

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
We travelled with Mhemet on a private trip to Konya and Lake Van he is a top, top guy.
Interested in the private boat hire what were the costs please?

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »
Hi Chris,

Please could you start a new thread for the boat trip question

Thanks  :D

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »
What a fab report, Rachey!
We thought our first trip would be a one off...but this year will be our fourth visit.
Our mates laugh at us and point out that there are plenty of other places to visit in the world...but then we laugh at them cos they haven''t discovered the dlights of Kalkan yet!!

Offline Magi

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »
It is now 4 weeks since we returned from Kalkan and already we''re looking for flights for october. it was our 15th visit. I started a thread late last year, Alternative to Kalkan.  We felt we should really try somewhere else  just for a few days, before making our way to our beloved Kalkan. We felt maybe we were getting into a rut.  Amongst the places suggested was Akyaka, and after looking it up on the net, we decided to try it out. It is a beautiful little place; the beach is lovely, but too shallow for keen swimmers. We stayed there for 4 days and spent most afternoons on or by the river watching the antics of the geese.  One day we drove into the countryside - about 20 minutes along the Mugla road and then turn left. We didn''t see one car during our drive along that country road which took us about an hour, and the countryside was glorious, awash with the most incredible coloured poppies.

We stayed at the Yucelen hotel, which we can thoroughly recommend. The food and service could not be faulted. If you just want to chill out, then Akyaka is ideal.

On the minus side, we were, unfortunately, the only English speaking guests, and the village was dead in the evenings.  Maybe it was too early in the season, as quite a number of the shops and restaurants were still closed. We were ready to return to Kalkan on the fourth day and see all the friends we have made over the years.

During our next visit to Kalkan, we''re wondering if it''s possible to go to Cappadocia, or is it too much of a journey? I''d appreciate any comments.

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »
Thanks for that Magi we are going to Akyaka for a week, but in high summer,sounds like our kind of place, we too wanted to get out of the lets be safe and go to amazing kalan rut, but we have tried to do it before and then spent a lot of time wishing we were in Kalkan. However you have made it sound like a good choice for us so am now well and truly looking forward to it 1 week Akyaka one week Turunc, we can always return to Kalkan later on in the year or next if we havent been cured of our Kalkan bug.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
Hi Magi - just to let you know that this summer we will be driving to Cappadoccia and back.  We think it will be about 8 hours drive so we are going to do an overnight stop each way to break the journey up and make it more like a day and a half travelling time.  I understand that the scenery is well worth the drive as opposed to flying (which you can''t do direct from Dalaman anyway) - so am looking forward to it and having the freedom of our own transport - I will post a report upon our return!!

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Hilary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
we had a lovely holiday in Akyaka when my daughter noww 12 was 2. Very family friendly and relaxing. some lovely fish restaurants by the river with river trout on the menu. word of warning though, the mozzies bite with a vengeance and are very abundant by the river

Offline holidayfever

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »
Thought that might be the case, will have to pack the mozzie spray, little pests.Thinking the river and sea combo will make a great change. roll on 6 weeks today.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Just back from 1st visit to Kalkan - only one complaint

Started by chrissy1 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 01:26:39 PM
by skauser
xx
Just got back from our 4th visit

Started by ladybird on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 12:11:43 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
When did you first visit Kalkan?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

52 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 12:56:47 PM
by alshepuk
xx
1st visit to Kalkan

Started by Theshooters on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 11:51:51 PM
by foreverkalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal