Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: ufo s in kalkan ??  (Read 4235 times)

Offline kevywevy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • I only smile when im in kalkan,
    • Share Post
ufo s in kalkan ??
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
Hi all
I was in kalkan last week staying in my villa situated beyond the olive grove above the petrol station.
  I was wondering if anyone witnessed as a group of us did strange rotating lights hovering in the sky to the left side of the harbour ?
 We watched them rise slowly from behind the mountain hover still for around a minute then disappear at rapid speed upwards till out of site.
 mehmet my property manager and mike also a kalkan resident were with me and said they have never witnessed anything like it,i know others saw the strange objects as i could see various camera flashes around kalkan.
 I would be interested to know if anyone on this site had seen the same objects
regards kevin
ps i wasnt drunk

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1523.0

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: ufo s in kalkan ??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »
sorry to disappoint you, these were not ufos but sky lanterns being let off from the mediteran where there was a wedding party.

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »
Kalkankiki you just beat me to it!!  They were out of this world but not quite literally ;)

Offline littlegreenman

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »
No, no you are all wrong that was us, we visited Kalkan for the first time but there were a lot of English & too many Villas, we found the restaurants too expensive & to top it all we had to pay 20 ytl to get a taxi back to the spaceships!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:20:52 AM by littlegreenman »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Im intrigued - so how does paper and wire look like a ufo - do they go off like fireworks or how do they work....somebody please explain..!!   :o
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
There is a lantern inside the paper ''shade'' which is lit and the whole thing slowly rises into the air.  I tried to post a pic of one going off but it was too big and crashed the site and I''m afraid I don''t have any photo shrinking software.

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
Thanks to The Feds for shrinking the pics for me, I have just posted a couple of pics of the UFOs (sorry lanterns - that will never get old ;)) in the Gallery.

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:07:12 PM »
The sky lanterns i have seen are very beautiful.
They are used each year at the Beautiful Days festival in Devon...they float around in the sky for a long time and are quite mesmerising.  :D

This link will give you an idea of how they work, Felicity.

http://www.skylanterns.com/

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »
Hope the wind was blowing them out to sea - a crash landing in a corn field could be spectacular (is there a fire engine in Kalkan?!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »
yeah there is. usually found parked in car park near the old school. the year of the big forrest fire it was seen going back and forward all day and night. Will never forget seeing the helicopters down at the harbour scooping up water and flying off to deposit it on the hillsides. A pretty frightening time.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
there was a huge fire in the hills behind kalkan some years ago,it started in yesilkoy,and spread up the hillsides to the back of kalamar road(behind lizo upwards)....you can still just make out the fireline to this day.the bay was bright orange and thick smoke hung over kalkan for days after..The fire engine looked like Buster Keaton should have been driving it!! it was  manned by men in bright yellow oilskin trousers as seen throughout he world on fire trucks...but they didn''t have shirts on!!the local men were called to volunteer by the mosques and the blokes who stayed at our hotel all volunteered but were declined because of the language problem (not swearing)not being able to understand instruction plus batting it out with a flip flop would have been ineffective!! luckily no one was seriously injured although livestock in yesilkoy was killed.It was started by a farmer who was burning off stubble and went to the lokanta...while away the wind got up again and fanned the flames...(he was put in prison) i would think that with the new prosperity in kalkan now a decent fire engine is now in service...even so i''m not sure burning lanterns are a good idea :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »
Blue Lizard I think that same fire engine is still in service. We saw it last October when there was a storm one Thursday lunchtime. We''d just made it in time to Oz Adana and there were hailstones as big as golf balls. Something got struck by lightening or thunder and the fire engine went past with sirens and lights. It did seem strange seeing that in Kalkan as it''s always so quiet.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline kevywevy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • I only smile when im in kalkan,
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »
ah dam it thought id witnessed something unique ,as they did disappear at high speed ,but so did 5 bottles of wine between four of us as we discussed every ghost ,ufo and urban myth we knew after seeing the lights xx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
New to Kalkan

Started by Mrs P on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 02:53:59 PM
by Mrs P
xx
Kalkan Gym

Started by rosarioguy on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2015, 07:51:52 PM
by felicity

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal