Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Forest Fires  (Read 2186 times)

Offline NormskiD

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Forest Fires
« on: July 31, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »
Awful scenes on FB etc of the terrible fires in southern Turkey, animals burnt to death and property destroyed. Hope the Turkish people can stay safe. As the world has not got enough to contend with at the moment.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14358.0

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
Re: Forest Fires
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »
True. It must worry people in Kalkan as the limited amount of water pumped to the area from saklikent. After the fires in the hills around islamar were shown to have difficulty in getter water to the fires. It does make me think that if a fire got out of control low down on the big hill how quickly it could spread with the updraught with the hill being so densely built on. All restaurants and cafes are such simple places where fires can start. I wonder if anyone is now considering risk assessments on what to do in the event of a fire. You only have to remember how quickly the fire in the harbour a few years ago took over before it was brought under control. Perhaps a pumping station from the sea with hook up places should be considered to places or risk. It’s clear building is not going to slow down but this should be done in conjunction with fire control and risk.

Offline NormskiD

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »
Totally agree Ray, you do worry about the infrastructure when emergencies happen. Sadly the Turkish authorities don't seem to be up on these things. Lets hope the fires don't spread I believe Bodrum is now under threat, though it is a fair way from Kalkan.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:51:33 PM »
This is why the chopping down of olive groves etc to build illegal villa over the other side of the hill is wrong. Bulldoze them up BURN them. Get some plastic greenhouses up. Apply for electric and water hook up then when they have the certificate to grow tomatoes move them and build some villas with bloody great pools. No sewer waste pipes just runoff. Less water in reserve to fight fires. People buying these places without planning permission. Mad.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Forest fires

Started by teke on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 09:18:14 AM
by teke
xx
Calor gas fires

Started by headroom on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 07:02:23 AM
by Korderekid
xx
Turkish Forest Fire Antalya

Started by kensarrived on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 08:25:24 PM
by kalkan wife

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Shopping

Views: 2537
By: turkeyfan
canal walk