Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Twelve Camels For Your Wife  (Read 929 times)

Offline dearsley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Twelve Camels For Your Wife
« on: April 19, 2021, 03:17:05 PM »
Hello Everyone. Glad the forum has re-opened. I'm sure it's hard work but invaluable to expats. I have written a book about my 49-year love affair with Turkey. The title is above in the subject box and the book is on Amazon as a paperback or e book. Today author and prolific blogger Jack Scott, who some of you may recall wrote a very funny book about his expat life in Bodrum called Perking the Pansies sent me this review of Camels.

George Dearsley isn’t the first Brit to fall for Turkey and he certainly won’t be the last. But his account of a longstanding love affair with the country is a real delight – an astute, beautifully-penned story of an Englishman abroad. What starts as a madcap road trip to Japan in a royal blue Bedford van, twists and turns, anecdote by anecdote, into an entertaining and touching tale of a courtship with the land he now calls home. It made me feel so nostalgic for my own times past. There are some very funny and well-observed scenes about things that many expats will instantly relate to: the unfathomable bureaucracy, the language mishaps, the surprising customs. And there are some wonderful turns of phrases (‘We came, we saw, we conkered. The area was awash with chestnut trees.’). But it’s his depiction of the Turkish people, the friendships he makes along the way and ultimately his affection for a small village 40km northeast of Selçuk (‘There were many more horses and donkeys than cars’) that tugs at the heartstrings. Funny, insightful and poignant.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14351.0

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Camels

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2019, 09:39:42 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
Antler's Day Twelve: A little bit of everything.....

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 10:12:58 PM
by BarbH
xx
My Wife's Birthday!

Started by dshiels on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 11:24:21 PM
by dshiels
xx
Help to convince my wife

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 08:52:42 PM
by misty

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

miss begonvil

Views: 596
By: Begonvil
Kalkan Harbour