Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Your virtual Kalkan Holiday  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Your virtual Kalkan Holiday
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »
We were due to fly out last Friday, instead of our usual first night meal at Alternatif we were sat on our drive having a social distanced VEDay drink. Being Tuesday we would have done our usual, drive to Calis Beach and ferry over to Fethiye for the market.
No doubt we would have had a few drinks at Fener watching the boats leave for a day around the bays, so here’s a photo of Janet enjoying a nice cool mint lemonade

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 09:07:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that. What a difference. Your post has done the job for me as we have never done this trip from calis beach to fethiye. Can you tell me all about how you do it where calis is etc. It sounds like a great way to go there. Thanks Ray

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
We’ve always found this the easiest way to get to Fethiye, no worries about finding somewhere to park. Calis is the next town along from Fethiye off the D400 from Kalkan. Once you turn off D400 you take first exit off roundabout then You follow the road to the next roundabout and lights, turn right then park behind the row of shops. Walk down to the wooden bridge and the boats are on the left. It’s about 20TL return, they leave every 30 minutes and chugs over the bay in about 20 minutes.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
Sounds great. Thanks for the information. Hopefully give it ago in September. Regards

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2020, 05:32:24 PM »
It is a great way to get to Fethiye,  relaxing & going past the bird/ nature reserve where on a good day are hundreds of butterflies.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2020, 06:15:55 PM »
Seen my grand children today in person for the first time in weeks on a walk. Hard to keep apart but we did. They are all coming for our hopefully October 10 days in kalkan. I told them about the visit by boat to fethye and they can’t wait. Lunch in fethye and a bit of a barter in the market. Back for a swim. Heated pool. Drinks and down into town for dinner.  Taxi back. Kids to bed.  Drinks and sleep. tomorrow more fun. Lol

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »
Our virtual last full day today, pop to the market for a wander, will have to have a banana & honey gozleme from the lady in the square. Then we’ll go in to town to see Ozay at Missilver to get yet more jewellery for Janet. Decisions, decisions do we people watch at Merkez or Fener? I need to pick up a replacement pottery sleeping cat from the shop by Gourmet after I broke the other one recently. Think we’ll spend the afternoon by the pool before our usual last night meal at Alternatif, think I’ll have a steak tonight.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
Sounds like a plan. I can taste that now. It does make me think. How on Earth are all those people doing without the tourist business. Restaurants. Shops. Taxi drivers. Car rentals. Boat trips. Supermarkets may be the only ones ticking over. I don’t know what help they are receiving from the government but just putting food on the table could be hard. Wonder if the market traders are still working. I would think that those selling fruit and veg and farm products will need to sell as those products that are grown won’t wait but just be wasted. When you think of families like Adams on the cliff he grows 99% of his food for sale in the restaurant with no customers must be challenging. Hope things improve soon.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
I love this thread... thank you everyone

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
I’m virtually writing this from the airport, up early and popped into town to collect our pre ordered sandwiches for lunch from Merkez, we’ve done this on a couple of times now and it beats arm & a leg airport food  and airline meals. Hit the road and stopped off at Calis Beach for breakfast with our friends Sam & Lee who are residents there. A smooth run down the D400 to Dalaman as usual and no speed traps to catch me.
Here’s to the next time we can actually come over for a proper holiday.

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2020, 11:45:51 AM »
Oh yes.... We must look like crooks as we have been stopped at least 3 times in the last 10 years. Same place just as your going down the hill a few miles from the tunnel. Last year the cop said. Where are you from. I said near manchester. He said who do you support. City or united. I said I’m 67 have lived near manchester all my life but have never been to either. He smiled and said ok Ryan Giggs off you go. I thought he was called Bryan Riggs but thennn. Perhaps the cop was a part time market trader he was a happy cop. I said see you next year. 🤪

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
We were due to fly out last Friday, instead of our usual first night meal at Alternatif we were sat on our drive having a social distanced VEDay drink. Being Tuesday we would have done our usual, drive to Calis Beach and ferry over to Fethiye for the market.
No doubt we would have had a few drinks at Fener watching the boats leave for a day around the bays, so here’s a photo of Janet enjoying a nice cool mint lemonade

Sorry I missed you on our virtual flight last Friday. Like you we were sat on our drive enjoying a very pleasant VE day celebration with our socially distanced neighbours. We would have been to Kinik market today, had lunch in one of their lokantas - real turkish food, probably 3 different dishes shared between us, salad, bread and soft drinks for about 38tl. Back to Kalkan and a dip in the pool and a doze on the sunbeds, then relaxing on our balcony with afternoon coffee. A shower and pre-dinner drinks before our leisurely stroll to town and the most difficult decision of the day, where are we going to eat.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 12:27:36 PM »
Where to eat is always the most difficult decision!

Where are you missing most? Where would your first meal be? For me I think it might be Akin

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »
Got to be Baharat. It’s just a great night. Every year we say we will try more new places and usually only fir a couple in because we know that when go back to the ones we love it’s more like a family experience.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 05:07:53 PM »
We are off to Kalkan in a weeks time.   Looking forward to it.   Probably first lunch will be at Adams when we will have a collection of dishes, certainly including his hot fried liver, menemen, mucveri and his green beans in olive oil.
Accompanied by a bottle of Lal, perhaps, or a nicely chilled white.  Decisions, decisions.

We have in fact just had a long weekend in Cordoba, Spain, and had a splendid time.   Much Sangria was consumed and Spanish dishes such as gambas pil pil (one of my favourites) and pork fillet in an almond sauce.   The weather was brilliant and we had all our meals al fresco., surrounded by flowering shrubs.  Well chilled fino sherry was also consumed in some quantity.

We did have to go self-catering  (booked hotel wasn't available) but we are used to that when we go to Turkey.

My son's only complaint was that I had forgotten to have the champagne on the flight.   Must remember that next week on our trip to Kalkan.

OK, I admit it was a virtual holiday but we really did take it seriously and had Spanish food and relaxed.   One day we had a virtual trip around Cordoba itself, another day enjoyed a visit to the fabulous Mesquita, another day looked around the flower filled patios of the town.   All courtesy of various films and you tube.   Thanks to the good weather in London at the time we were able to eat all our meals in the garden and could hear the soft splash of water from a water feature.

We plan to do the same kind of thing for our virtual Kalkan holiday.   I have an online delivery just before we "travel" and will ensure it contains the kind of ingredients  necessary to make at least some Turkish dishes.   I fear the weather may not be as good as it was for the Cordoba visit but we will make the best of it.

We should indeed be going out to Kalkan next week but  the flight has obviously been cancelled.   Still hoping it just might be possible before summer is totally over but in the meantime will enjoy the virtual holiday.   Certainly plenty of photos of Kalkan now in digital form which we can look at on the TV screen, with a glass of something in hand.

Offline littlebrowndog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 10:43:48 PM »
Our virtual holiday would include a meal in Aubergine, Mousakka, Sade, Baharat and The Small House within the first few days.  We would then just take our fancy on the other days.  By the end of the holiday we would have visited all our favourites as well as discovered at least 2 new ones.  We would drink in Botanik, Black and Gold and probably Mousakka or Aubergine.  A boat trip or two would have to feature as well as a couple of BBQ's at ours with friends that we would be catching up with for the first time this year.  We have already missed our "Easter" trip and should be on our way again in a week but it's not to be.  Our fingers and toes remain crossed for September.  Oh how we are missing our happy place!  Stay well everyone and see you in the Turkish sunshine sometime soon

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 08:58:46 AM »
We’re in France next week and will
Be on ricard and of course gin and tonics. Langoustines and either Chablais or muscadet. Crusty baguette and Camembert. Of course like you Shiela is been cancelled so we had a French evening at home last night. It was great. I’ll try and put a picture of it on here but I’m never very successful. Hopefully and getting more confident that all will be fine at yours in September with our friends then back again in October to just down the road with our family. Even more confident the later is gets in the year. Baharat will roll out the carpet. And adem will be coming to pick us up for lunch. Sure hope it happens. Keep well.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »
Liking your style Ray!   Invite me next time you are having an Italian evening.

Do remember folks the advantage of a virtual Kalkan holiday is that it is probably possible for you to delay your "travel" if you see that the weather at home is going to improve shortly.   We "delayed a day" for our virtual Spanish holiday because the weather in UK was just about to become brilliant.

We are off on Monday for our virtual Kalkan holiday and looking forward to it.   Appropriate ingredients have been order online so we can cook lots of things we would be eating in Kalkan (although maybe not cooking them so well!).   Still have to track down Efes online but at least we are well supplied with gin and tonic and lots of things for mixing cocktails.   

Anyone else going soon on a virtual Kalkan holiday?   Enjoy yourself if you are.   

Still hoping it might be possible to really go there by the beginning of September.   There is talk about Turkey trying to open up soon for international flights.

Cheers,

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
There must be some more people on a Virtual Kalkan Holiday soon - We have been enjoying LAL in the UK.. nice but not the same!

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
so I'm 9 days away from my virtual holiday (it's actually now 389 days but I can't bear that!) and it's time to start putting things aside to pack.... suncream and toiletries purchased, the case scales are permanently attached to the handle so that I can obsess about how many pairs of white linen trousers I actually need to take.

We're on a 6am flight out of Birmingham so will be hitting Kalkan around 3.30 pm.  We're staying in a different apt this time, but it's in the block next to our usual haunt, so I guess we will be straight into  Anka to be some provisions before a spot of sunbathing before dinner .. Fener has been our place of choice the last couple of trips but you never know where we might end up..for sure we will be found in  BSG and Yakamoz at some point before we head back to the apt. 

Our first full day is due to be spent on a Meis boat trip with Bob&Jane , Lizilu20 and Automan and a few new friends in the making so we will be packing the factor 50!!

Sigh!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kalkan 360 virtual tour

Started by hobbo on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 08:26:23 AM
by Wendy
xx
New virtual tour of Kalkan

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2015, 09:44:42 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
Kalkan virtual tour with interactive map..

14 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 06:33:46 AM
by onelove
xx
Preview of Kalkans Virtual Tour (work in progress)

23 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 07:54:15 PM
by sarahmarie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal