Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkantalya  (Read 16981 times)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 44
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkantalya
« on: September 28, 2018, 06:45:50 PM »
As a long time lurker on this board I said I would write a report of our next trip to show support for Enjoy Kalkan.....so here goes......we (me and hubby, mid 50s! are relatively new  (6 years) to the delights of Kalkan and indeed Turkey but have made up with it with our  tenth visit looming. We love our holidays, even more so since hubby was diagnosed with leukaemia 2 years ago. He remains well and we are making the most of every minute . He has given up a demanding job and now works part time so more scope (but less cash)  for holidays. We keep trying to find an alternative to Kalkan but don't think it exists .
This year we had two weeks in Kalkan in June and a sneaky ten days in Dalyan in April. We loved Dalyan but it's not Kalkan .
This trip is going to be slightly different but I think I can write about it here as Kalkan features. Tomorrow we fly to Antalya where we spend a couple of days before travelling to Cirali, Kas, Kalkan (5 nights), Fethiye , Dakyan and fly home (Surrey)  from Dalaman in two weeks. We were given the idea by Kalkan4eva who we met in a very small car en route to a day in Meis!
I love the preparation for holiday almost as much as the holiday itself. Usual routine is to lay out stuff on our sons bed about two weeks before and ponder over it. Son is currently living at home with his fiancée in order to save money so the spreading out of stuff is much curtailed. probably a good thing as we are only bringing carry on luggage due to our touring itinerary .........our 5 nights in Kalkan is in an apartment with a washing machine so plenty of opportunity for clean smalls!
Anyway we are off out to,friends tonight , just reminded hubby of the dreadful,hangover he had last time we flew to Turkey so he's elected to drive . Result!
Next time I write we will hopefully be in Antalya and even more hopefully not to,affected by the impending hurricane. I don't have room for a pacamac or a brolly!
I

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=14071.0

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkantalya
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
Sorry for the itinerant commas in my report!

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 11:10:21 PM »
So I write this from my hotel room in Antalya, (Mediterra Art Hotel)  we were recommended the hotel by some Kalkan friends and although it is very dated, it's clean and brilliantly situated in the Old Town. Our flight from Gatwick was uneventful, the plane wasn't full so we asked if we could move seats. They said we could, subsequently a huge group got on and surrounded us....there were three babies under a year and a couple of toddlers.......lots of crying and seat kicking but I tried to keep positive. It was very different In Antalaya airport, it is so much bigger and busier than Dalamn. There must have been several flights arriving together and there were at least 500 people to go through passport control. Single line queues as well but I picked a good 'un! Trying to find our driver was a game in itself, there were so many drivers waiting, I had to read one side of the 'road' while hubby did the other, a bit like a royal walkabout!  Twenty minutes later and we were here, dumped our bags and hot footed to the nearest bar for wine and sustenance. Absolutely fab atmosphere, Saturday night is  very alright in Antalya ......I had a lasagne made with meatballs which I enjoyed, hubby just had a toastie. It's now 1.10 am local time so sleep beckons ........we have a ground floor room about 19 yards from the breakfast  area so earplugs are primed.  Rubbish wi fi so hope this posts

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
Wonderful a holiday post 😁 enjoy your time in Turkey . I can’t wait to hear more.
Lynne

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
And please can we have some photos too 😊
Lynne

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
Alison, Turkey can be an adventure, enjoy whatever you do on your way to Kalkan.

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:14:11 AM »
So that's Antalya done and dusted 😉 We had breakfast yesterday, our co diners were a mix of Turkish, German , Dutch, Chinese and Japanese people - Antalya is a cosmopolitan place indeed. We spent the day doing a ( self guided, indeed self made up) walking tour of the old town. It is very pretty, lots of eating, drinking and shopping opportunities too, although the shopping will probably be limited to scarves this visit due to hand luggage situation. We'd expected terrible weather due to the first hurricane in modern Turkey hitting ( the forecast on Friday had been dire)  but we were blessed with lots of sunshine and a few clouds. A light lunch at the top of the old town followed by a glass of two of vino overlooking the harbour. A nice view but not a patch on the view we love! the old town becomes quite sedate in the afternoon but then becomes lively at night. We chose our dinner spot based on that tried and tested method of walking around and seeing what 'looks nice' ......had a lovely meal, shared some grilled calamari which was fabulous and en we chose our old faithfuls - lamb chops for me and kofte for hubby.  Prices very good, we had that, plus a huge plate of complimentary fruit and a bottle of Deluca for the equivalent of £30 . We were given a very nice table but ten minutes later the band showed! Three musicians playing and singing Turkish songs - they were very well received by the rest of the diners and certainly created a great atmosphere but was it loud! I'm a little hoarse this morning. We are just packing up now and off to Cirali we go.  We both said we are glad we came to Antalya but are also glad we were only here a couple of nights as it's very busy and impersonal - as you would expect in a big city. We have already caved in on out planned bus/ dolmus transfers and booked a transfer - such good value and less time used . 

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
PS We will try harder with photos - we never take many ourselves....usually come back from holiday with pictures of one of us sitting in a restaurant with a drink taken by the other 😉 Hubby took a few yesterday but the wi fi here isn't good so won't upload yet

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:19:24 AM »
Apologies again for typos and bad punctuation- it kills me to see it too!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
Loving it Alibobs, thank you  :-*

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing your holiday Alibobs. It's nice to hear about your experiences in the different areas and I can't wait for the Kalkan instalment. It sounds as though you are having a great time and I really appreciate you taking the time to write.

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »
Wonderful, enjoy your holiday, we never take photos either and I managed to load 3 on the website this year . I’m still waiting for some lovely likes 😔
Lynne

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
Oh my days, this blogging is hard work!  So a great transfer from Antalya to Cirali ( arranged via Alper in Kallkan, by far the best deal) Arrived at the Hotel Villa Monte at lunch time, dumped our bags and went straight for a walk to the beach and the Olympos ruins. Weather again better than forecast but very windy and intermittent cloud. Reading about issues at Dalaman yesterday I think we have been very lucky. Cirali really is a one street town - reminds us so much of holidays we had in Greece in the 80's. we had an excellent pide and gozleme for lunch and then hubby had a haircut.......back to the hotel ( very simple, family owned, very friendly people) for a freshen up and then out for an excellent dinner, steak for hubby, mixed grill for me, complimentary mezzes and dessert .....again the magic £30 mark. We strolled back down to the beach after dinner for drinks, 2 humungous glasses of wine, 20 lira each. That plan for tomorrow is breakfast followed by a day at the beach, then a trip up to the chimera at dusk followed by dinner at the beach where we had drinks tonight. Need to finish now, got to listen to Counterpoint with hubby 😉  the waiter took some pics tonight but they are on hubby's phone, this is my tablet, will try and do something in the cloud so you can see them

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
Tried twice now to post about Cirali and it's been lost - on our way to Kas now - will try and recap

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
That has happened to me Alibobs, many times and it's so frustrating. I copy it to notes now then paste it back when the wifi is good enough. I've even emailed it to myself before now and then copied and pasted etc Hope you recover it as I'm very much looking forward to reading.  :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
lizilu - funny that!

Exactly what I learnt to do!.  Apart from encouraging you to correct the unspelling check, and correcting the wayward punctuation, it does mean you can make your contribution in easy stages, rather than enforced sessions.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
So third time lucky telling you about Cirali, am e mailing myself as advised so hopefully this will be kept. I do remember at school that the first effort was always the best so apologies. Day 2 in Cirali - we had a lovely Turkish Breakfast in the garden of our hotel - the Villa Monte has only 8 rooms , the owners are from Antalya and nothing is too much trouble for the guests it seems. The hired help I think was Thai and it was a bit disconcerting as she bowed each time we walked past but she could whip up an omelette and fry eggs like a Local. We spent the day on the beach and in the evening took a taxi to the Chimera. I'd read up on the trip and they advised sturdy shoes, a torch and to be aware it's a kilometre climb up and then the same down on rugged terrain.......omg they were not kidding. The walk up was ok, it was dusk , it was steep in parts and there were some small steps, some steep steps, some gravel, some rocks ......if ever you've walked from the Likya to the Yali it was like that and then some. We got to the top as it turned dark and it was amazing to see the little fires dotted all over the landscape ......Id heard that it can be disappointing on some occasions but not last night. It was really dark, no moon so the effect was heightened. Coming down was far more tricky - our taxi man had given us torches, without them it was black - we met some people coming up without lights and tried to help them as much we could but it's not to be recommended. Hubby had a hip replacement last November and I was so fearful he'd slip and dislocate it but we made it - it was so slippery in places.  I'm really glad we did it - one of those places you need to see with your own eyes. A bit far from Kalkan but if ever you are Antalya bound do it. Dinner on the beach , mixed grill for him , chicken shish for me, great balloon bread and fruit for afters.....along with a beer and bottle of wine we hit the £30 mark again , it seems to be the bench mark of the holiday. Another great breakfast today, the highlight was a crispy fritter which appeared to be just batter......nice with a bit of honey on anyway! Transfer to Kas turned up as planned - I think they sent Turkey's very own Lewis Hamilton......not the most relaxing journey, hubby who is a bit of a speed merchant himself was hanging on to the passenger seat with both hands......such a windy road , driver seemed to accelerate into each turn on the wrong side of the road but we made it safe and sound. Checked into the hotel ( Cinar Butik)........£30 a night, I know why but it's clean and has a four poster bed!.?! .............went for a walk, had obligatory pide lunch and now holed up in a beach club, white wine 60 lire a bottle......... Our plan for tomorrow is to return here and head down to Kalkan about 4pm........I think our 'travelling round Turkey by bus and dolmus' may turn into a taxi, at 100 lira it makes life so easy .......... Now debating where to go for dinner........first world problems indeed   Sent from my iPad

Offline Alibobs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 03:16:17 PM »
Ps The photos are not happening - tried every which way but faile d☹️

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
Hi Everyone

Wonderful to read these blogs, sorry there is a bit of an issue with the photos at the moment which I am fixing  :)
Any other issues along the way do let me know... looks like EK needs a little bit of maintenance  :angel:

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 09:08:52 AM »
Fab read again. I love to hear about others experiences and it gives me inspiration to try something different in the future. I love a little holiday within a holiday. Maybe we will try Cirali and Antalya in the future.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal