Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: FLIGHTS  (Read 11163 times)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: FLIGHTS
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »
Next year's blessings?  M-m-m-m, let's think.

Fundamentally, it comes down to departure airport.  Birmingham, Stansted and Gatwick are all 1-1/2 to 2 hours away; add the three hours you need to be there before and you're setting off 5 hours before a 4 hour flight.  Add to that the cost of fuel/parking, or taxi (not a major difference) and you've added in another £200-250 to the bill.

The much maligned (and much deserved) Luton is about 45 minutes, taxi is £20-odd, and when we arrive back at time starting with a 0, you can be home in bed before you have to get up.

(I haven't gone into how dire the assistance is at Gatwick, not that it's brill at Luton, either, but that's another story)

Now that Monarch is no longer with us, Monarch's slots became available.  TC were selling flights in those slots when they didn't have them this year, and had to cancel most of those flights.  easyJet took the principle Dalaman slot from Luton, hence they become favoured airline for the present, purely on lack of choice.

tui don't go from Luton at all and as they are prohibitively expensive, wouldn't even pop up on the comapre prices radar anyway.

Jet2 are Stansted and Birmingham only - see previous comments.

BA are Gatwick only as well, but since they tend to run out of drink by Paris on the outbound flight, well, you get the picture.

Pegasus are Gatwick only as well, see previous comments.

Which leaves Heathrow, which is about an hour on a good day (if there is such a thing on the M25), but means doing the stop and dash for the Dalaman flight in Istanbul - this is a shade more hassle than I (or my partner in crime) would contemplate.

So there you have it - it's looking like easyJet for the present.

Unless the Lottery comes up, and then it'll be a private charter Gulfstream (other executive jets are available) that will fly when you want (roughly - ATC permitting), you avoid security, they don't run out of food and drink, there's no babies screaming nor 6 year-olds kicking the seat, and you get more than 31 inches to the prisoner in front.

Remember when cabin crew/flight attendants were called hostesses or stewards?  Doesn't the job title tell you everything about airline attitudes to the paying customer (or SLC as they're known in the industry (=Self-Loading Cargo)).

Yes I know I'm cynical, but we have to just do what we're told and accept it, don't we?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 01:30:13 PM »
We have tended to use Thomsonfly (now TUI) flying out of Stansted. The flight departs at 07.00am on a Monday morning and we are usually settled in our accommodation by mid afternoon. The return flight leaves early afternoon Turkish time and arrives at Stansted at 16.30hrs. These flights are more expensive but we feel that it's well worth the extra cost. We have flown with the now liquidated Monarch from Gatwick but much prefer the convenience of using our local airport. As other people have stated it's all a bit of a lottery and no airline is without their faults.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
We booked easyJet at £373 return for the two of us last November.  tui have never been below £992 (and that was yesterday, normally £1220) from their nearest airport 2 hours away.

No Contest.

Incidentally, TC may be thinking of selling their airline: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-thomas-cook-grp-airlines/thomas-cook-mulling-airline-sale-sunday-times-idUKKBN1KI0MI

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
We had decent service from easyJet this year and they were by far the cheapest and also the best flight times - 6.30am from Manchester means you arrive in Dalaman midday and 1.40pm return means you get home for the Manchester rush hour...but I can live with that! The old Monarch flights were similar times...but as EJ were operating these flight times in 2017 before Monarch went bust, they haven't taken the Monarch slots..which means theoretically they are still available for another airline. Come on Jet 2, you can clean up!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
BTW, it looks as though the early Summer flights for EJ will be released in October this year
http://www.easyjet.com/en/schedule-release

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 11:26:40 PM »
 It's Easyjet all the way for us this year again. We've saved a whopping £1000 again this August compared with our old TC outbound and (good old) monarch inbound routine of old. For us it's worth setting our alarm for 3am and every hour onwards on the day of release and we will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. As K4E said, fab times from Manchester and a pleasurable flight with a decent seat pitch, plenty of on-board  refreshments  and best of all, speedy boarding. We will hopefully be experiencing this again all over again on Thursday...bring it on  8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:28:21 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
Following on from my original post on this thread I checked the cost of our flights that we booked in july for next year...Well Grapple my grape nuts!! our already expensive flights have have gone up double in price ..(and that's not including the James Martin pedigree chum that was on offer but does include "early Worm" deal is that for din dins next year  >:D!) how they justify that I don't know..sooner more flights start going to Turkey the better so far they have cut flights and created there own demand and charge as they see fit..thieving gits! >:(
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Gelin

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
Totally agree Blue Lizard. I've just booked flights for a bit of winter sun in Tenerife in January. Les than £300 for 2 with luggage. I know it's a popular route but it shouldn't be double that to Dalaman.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »
Cheapest  non special offer flights I have seen recently for 2019 to Dalaman were  from Dublin.  We normally fly out of Leeds  or Manchester, recent prices for June   and September coming in around £900 excluding seat bookings or baggage .  Price from Dublin  £400 and they are better flight times early morning departure and mid afternoon return . ::: Cost of 2 return Leeds /Dublin tickets  £100  bringing total to £500 ,  While we would have to stay at Dublin airport  for  6 hours out and return   and put up with the additional travel times fro extra flights 4 hours  , we are seriously considering  the  £400 saving  =  several meals out at our favorite top restaurants  and return transfers

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
On the dates I fly to Dalaman I can fly from Heathrow to Sydney return by Virgin for £678 smackeroonies!   now how does that work if you aren't being shafted :o >:D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:35:56 AM by Blue Lizard »

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
Welcome to the world of Alex Cruz and Michael O'Leary.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
Brian  jp - I did the Dublin route in September - I was very lucky with the fare and got Birmingham to Dublin, Dublin to Dalaman return for just under £140...yes, i know!!!  Even with an overnight stay at a local hotel we came in circa £200 per person better off!

You need your walking boots though because the Ryanair stands at Dublin might actually be in Kilkenny.......

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
And Dalaman is probably Denizli Cardak or Rhodes (even Ryanair wouldn't try landing a 737 at Castellorizo!).

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »
Thomas Cook have some very cheap flights at the moment from around £60 return during November.

I am coming out on the 21st for a few days, on one of them, and if I can will stay at a hotel rather than opening up the villa just for me.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that stays open over the winter.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2018, 04:58:24 AM »
Zinbad are open all through the winter. Good location.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »
Also Kleo pension looks good and reasonably priced. We’ve booked Kalkan central suites for new year but it’s an apartment as we wanted the freedom to cook etc, for a really good price. Try looking on booking.com, it’s a good site and lots of choice.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2012 flights, when are they released - good daytime flights wanted! Best airline

Started by emmabroadhurst on Flights and Travel

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 09:23:35 AM
by Cuddles
xx
Flights.

Started by fidimax on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 04:18:37 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Oct flights.....

Started by onelove on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 04:29:15 PM
by alisonh
xx
flights?

Started by molly on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 09:18:01 PM
by doug46b

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal