Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!  (Read 17455 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
It's still cold tortoiselady but bearable although once in you get used to it. We're off to Kekova next week so hoping it will have warmed up a bit more  :D am sure in another 3 weeks it will be fine for you. :D :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:56:29 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
New pool in the back garden tortoise lady. In full sun and shallow with nice roman steps. You’d ge my vote. Not keen on the sea. Have a great holiday.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 07:44:15 PM »
Didnt everyone have a crush on Starsky..?
Bit disappointed the exchange rate is dropping but its better news for those that live there, as the cost of living has risen so much..dont mind a few less lira in my purse if it brings a bit of relief. Only 5 years ago we were getting 2.30...pretty sure I have a picture sitting in Merkez and the rate is on the board behind me...must check!
The sea will have gone up a few degrees in the next week or so...its been ordered :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 04:33:19 AM »
I think your right k4e we remember the rate well below 3 when we first came to Turkey  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:50:03 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
Hot news from the beach all the beds and umbrellas are out today, only a few cushions so far, but we've been told the rest should be here in a few days. 15tl for 2. Same price as last year  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:05:17 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
It's about time isn't it. We missed the beach last week, every day hoping they'd be out. That'a good news Jayne.

9 weeks today...

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »
Fingers crossed for the cushions for a couple of week's time! We can remember the exchange rate being 2. Something too........but you're right K4E much better for the locals if it drops a little! Kalkan is such value anyway   :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »
When we first went to Turkey it started out at 18,000TL and ended up after two weeks at 23,500TL.

Before the YTL, of course!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
I remember the days when we were Turkish millionaires  ;D ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 06:01:22 AM »
Well it is Saturday and not exactly sure where this week has gone, but we’ve certainly had a lovely time.

Well as I said the beds arrived well into the evening, but it didn’t matter they are fab, we await the cushions they are arriving this morning, we had them made from a shop in town, and after a bit of a debate, I chose red!!

Wednesday – I think that is where I got up to! We spent the whole day at the beach, and as you know the beds and umbrellas are now all out.  Hopefully the cushions will be arriving next week, but there are a few there at the moment. 

Thursday – awake early and we went for a very early morning walk and had breakfast at Muar Café at the beach, it was so tranquil down there, we shared a Turkish breakfast and a gozleme, all of which was delicious.  It was to be a pool day today, but that was fine our daily exercise was out of the way early.  My fitbit is definitely keeping us on track, and we are making sure that we get our steps in each day. It seems to still be working okay, despite the fact that I cracked the screen a few days after arriving, not sure how I did that. We called in at the Fish Shop on the way back to buy some Mezgit, as we were going to cook fish and chips tonight, chips in the Actifry, we knew it would come in handy out here! And who would have thought it, apparently yesterday was National Fish and Chip Day, and we never knew! Oh well a day early, who cares!

Friday – Well today turned out to be a Road Trip on Foot!!! Not planned but what a fabulous day we had.

We were out of the apartment at 7.30am and first trip was up to Kalamar and back home for breakfast, but half way back we decided to carry on into town.  On arriving by Hunkar, the fire brigade were there, and what seemed like absolute chaos, cars backing up and hooting, people running around, it turned out that they were lopping the palm trees in the middle of the road.  Branches were crashing down into the road, and in no time at all they were cut and cleared away, and peace was resumed again!
It was actually quite fascinating to watch! A stop off at the greengrocers and the bakers. They seem to have a vast range of things in the bakery this year, including beautiful freshly made gozleme, maybe we have just missed them before, but we needed to buy one and it was delicious.  Talking of bread, we have been buying the Ramadan Turkish bread this week, and it is so good, but only available until the end of Ramadan, so definitely going to be buying more of it.

In no time at all, we had been home for breakfast and then back out again.  We walked down to the beach, by which time dark clouds were appearing, followed by thunder and then rain, but in no time at all the sun was out and boiling hot again! We walked out to the lighthouse and it was so nice seeing the beach from the other side. We then decided to walk along the path towards caretta and find the little cove that is just before there, so beautiful, but rather rickety steep steps down to it, so we just admired from the top.  Along to the beach club for a nosey, not many people there, but lovely all the same, then the steep climb up to the Lykia Hotel and back along the path which came out along the Kalamar Road and Johnys bar, my fitbit was reading over 17,000 steps, so a well deserve watering stop at Johny’s was in order!

It was after 4pm, so back home and TV now in full working order with all the channels, so the French Open it had to be before getting ready to go out for dinner.

We had booked to go to Seaport tonight, so a quick drink in Fener Bar, oh how we love that place! And then only a few steps next door to our table overlooking the sea, wish I could post photos because it was beautiful. I chose the Chef’s special which was chicken cooked in a champagne and brandy cream sauce with prawns and mushrooms. Bob had stuffed seabass with shrimps, crab and spinach, all of which was delicious.  We had complimentary starters, and were so full that we couldn’t manage a dessert, sadly though because I had my eye on the lemon cheesecake on the menu. Never mind, we are definitely going back so maybe next time! It was very reasonable priced too and I would certainly recommend going if you haven’t already!

The harbour was very busy tonight and everywhere full of life, we stopped off at Yacht Point for a night cap, by which time it was getting on for midnight! Fitbit reading over 20,000 by this time, so a taxi home was definitely on the agenda!

A perfect end to a perfect day. Fun in the sun was had by all! Wonderful!

Sx

Exchange rate 6 in town tonight

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »
It all sounds lovely Shirl! Fun in the sun indeed. We love to walk around Kalkan discovering different places but probably won't be so adventurous in a couple of weeks time as I expect it'll be much hotter than when we are normally there in October!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
What a fabulous lifestyle change you are having Jayne. It's lovely to have updates from you, thanks for posting and we are missing you both like mad.  :-*

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2018, 12:53:27 PM »
Love that walk, Jayne....we once went a little further along a path above the Yali Hotel (or whatever its called now) and it just leads to a house that has a lot of barking dogs that feel like they're going to come over the gate at you...I'm not frightened of dogs but was petrified. We often start along that path when we're out on our walks and then remember where it leads and double-back..quick sharp. You're smashing FitBit, keep it up and the cheesecake can be scoffed without a care in the world :)
I think when a job breaks out on Kalkan, its always BIG job, no matter how small...I cant imagine what it looks like now with all the trees lobbed off!
We are also huge fans of Fener...might just bump into you there NEXT WEEK ;D ;D ;D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
Next week K4E!!  how exciting - another report to enjoy with my breakfast!!  Will you still be there on 1 July? we normally overlap by at least a day!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 05:47:08 AM »
Well it's Wednesday and where are the days going let alone the weeks! First things to report is the weather is getting hotter by the day and locals are saying 40 degrees by Friday! Is it really only June, because it feels like August temperatures! Not complaining though! Exchange rate averaging around 6 at the moment and looks like a new mini market is about to open opposite Coriander where the builders merchant used to be, and before that I think used to be a supermarket. Still no sun bed cushions on the beach, although Kleo have a few and seem to be on a first come first serve basis. The guys in there are so nice :D.

Anyway talking of the beach that's what we have been doing for the past 3 days and it has been fab! The sea is warming up too.
This life style change is great, we haven't really planned our days other than a boat trip here and there, next one booked next Thursday and can't wait! Car hire booked for tomorrow and my daughter arriving on Friday so very excited about that, so guessing lots will be planned for the next 10 days  :D

We're off to Adam's Restaurant tonight and Belgin's Kitchen Friday and Seaport again for Saturday so need to get those steps up on that Fitbit! Talking of food we had a lovely lunch again in Fener yesterday, our absolute favourite place this year! Love it! K4E may well see you there very soon and even on a boat trip!! ;D  :D hope you've got that case finally packed, not long now!

Think that just about covers our lazy week of fun in the sun. Will report back soon with the next update!

Forgot to say mozzies not good still being bitten! But no worse than it was! Babs I've told them your on your way  ;D

Sx

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 05:53:39 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
Yes, maybe we will see you on a boat trip.. ;D ;D
The old Kartin supermarket/Builders Merchants is going to be a Superdrug type place - I understand!
Not long till your daughter's arrival - how exciting! Obviously it pays to be earlybirds on the beach whilst the cushions are in short supply...always next week isn't it? I do LOVE the beach though...cannot wait to be on one of those beds...with or without cushions ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2018, 07:13:05 PM »
We'll definitely be there, earlybirds for the cushions!  :laugh: I just hope we don't share a favourite sunbed on the beach K4E!
Shirl, you just keep topping those mozzies up......then maybe I'll escape unharmed!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2018, 05:39:42 AM »
And it's Friday :D
Well, we've had a fab couple of days although a bit eventful! Firstly. we left one of our bags down at the taxi rank at the harbour with 2 phones and a kindle in it!  We didn't realise until we got back, but after a quick call to the Marina Restaurant, thank goodness it was still there! They kindly put it in a taxi for us and within 15 minutes of realising we'd left it, we had it back!  We are so grateful to those guys in Marina! And then to top it all, on Wednesday we spent a few hours at the Pirat, and yesterday I realised I couldn't find my kindle yet again! Sure enough I had left it there. Thankfully again Regae had found it. So again am very grateful!

Anyway... we had a fab meal up at Adam's on Wednesday evening and it was lovely to see him and his family. His daughter who has recently married was there too. Food was delicious and I had the shrimp casserole as I always do with liver to start and it was fab. That view from the top table is one of the best, absolutely stunning! It was great to see that he was busy too  :D

Thursday... we had a car booked today so going out and about and that's exactly what we did. Morning spent around Kalkan. Up to the market first thing for fruit and veg. Needed to pick up a water melon for our visitor who arrives today. We never actually realised how heavy they are. as we don't like them ourselves, but the smallest one weighed over 6 kilos! Thank goodness we had the car! We are however addicted to the cherries! 5TL a kilo! Anyway we are now fully stocked up with so much fruit so it's going to be a healthy week! Because the scales are being mean!! ;D

Next stop was Arcelik.we've been promising ourselves an electric water cooler and finally we now have one, and all we think is why on earth didn't we get one before, it's fab! Shopping done and now time for some fun in that sun. It was boiling today, I think the hottest day so far, more like August. First stop was down to Kalamar and a nosey in the beach club as we are planning a day there on Sunday. Oh that steep hill down to it! Eyes tightly shut until we were parked up! It looked beautiful, so we are looking forward to spending a day there at the weekend. After a quick drink to cool off, we went again back up that hill and en route to Patara beach. It was so hot and the sand felt like it was on fire, but the sea was like a warm bath and fairly calm. We spent a lovely couple of hours there, it was beautiful. Making the most of our air conditioned car we had a drive along to Kinek and Xanthos before finally coming back to Kalkan for a bbq. A perfect day was had by all.

Friday.... a day of rest today around the pool is the order of the day we think and into town tonight for dinner   :D

The mozzie sprayer was out last night and drove round twice, so hoping they will give me a break now!  ;D

Exchange rate has been around 6 for the past few days in town.

Sx
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:01:24 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
Oh, I'm loving your reports Jayne. This lifestyle change lark is very appealing and can't wait until we can do the same thing. I think Shirl needs to buy a lanyard with a bag attached so that the wayward  Kindle can be kept safe and close to home at all times.  ;D

Have a lovely weekend and give our love to your special visitor when she arrives.  :-*

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »
Lizilu, do you think I should run a little kindle bag up and take it out with me?  :laugh:
Enjoy your time with your special visitor Jayne.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Finally joined

Started by Mick the Loiner on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 06:55:33 AM
by kim21
xx
Can it finally be true?

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 11:42:25 PM
by itstime
xx
Finally - it's arrived........

Started by happy days on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 10:18:33 AM
by Chris_S
xx
Shirley's back for 2015 Finally!!!!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

70 Replies
Last post April 13, 2015, 07:55:19 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal