Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!  (Read 17453 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »
At long last we have finally taken the plunge! Early Retirement for Bob and I.  Almost 8 weeks in our special place, we cannot believe it, and then back out in September! Sounds a bit crazy but haven't had a moment to post sorry! We arrived late on Tuesday evening and our feet haven't touched the ground. All I can say is that Kalkan is ready for the season, it is looking beautiful, same lovely people and we are now looking forward to enjoying some quality time in the place we love. 

Tomorrow is even more of a special day, as looking forward to meeting my partner in crime and spending time with Lizilu and Automan celebrating his birthday celebrations!
I get to spend my birthday here too in June.

By the way I am not allowed to call it Retirement! we are calling it a "Lifestyle Change"  :D :D :D :D

Have so much to report back even in 4 days but watch this space!

Sx

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13955.0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:32:52 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Shirl & Bob - We've Finally Gone and Done It!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 04:30:48 AM »
I retired a couple of years ago, after a month got a part time / casual job which ended up taking the Mick as I was working near enough full time so I ditched that. I now volunteer 2 days a week at the Royal Navy Museum Services & a Royal Armouries site just to keep my brain active. I spend a couple of hours a week recording a radio show on a little Internet radio station who only play music from the 60s, The rest of the time I play bowls or wander around Hampshire with my camera walking around taking photos, I love it. Enjoy your well earned "Lifestyle Change".

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:41:26 AM »
Thanks Albie, your retirement sounds idealic! who knows I may one day get a little part time job, but at the moment we are planning on spending as much time in our second home as we can!  :D :D :D

Well as you know we are here! I won't bore you with our last 4 days in paradise, but thought I'd tell you the following!

We arrived very late on Tuesday evening, Easyjet flight this year, and very impressed even with my fear of flying, I survived! Define Tours were there to collect us and we were very soon in our favourite place.  Our apartment was just as we had left it last August, it looked lovely, so all was good!

Wednesday was a blur, due to the time difference we only managed about 5 hours sleep, but we were up and about early, I did my early morning run, (promised myself I would do this every day, but we shall see!  first thing I noticed was how cool it was compared to August! but still lovely.  We had a wander through town and met all the same lovely people, oh it was so good to be back! stocked up on provisions, and booked Belgin's Kitchen for dinner.  We have decided to try and do a bit of walking rather than get taxis all the time, but after a purchasing a table and 2 chairs, we had no option other than to get a taxi!!

Belgin's Kitchen!!! well what can I say, other than it was absolutely fabulous food! family run restaurant, have never been before, but certainly on the list to return.  All home cooked traditional Turkish food it was delicious and very reasonably priced. Well worth going if you haven's already!

Thursday - Off to the market this morning, we were there at 8.30am like we do in August, but only just opening up and hardly any people there, so obviously don't need to go so early in May! we certainly stocked up on veg, our trolley was full to the brim! We went to the Beach in the afternoon, the sun was very warm, no beds on the beach yet, apparently next week we have been told.  We took our newly bought chairs! and that's where we sat for the afternoon, it was beautiful, the sea was turquoise, but I only managed to go in waist high! a tad too cold for me yet! A drink in Fener, same lovely waiters in there, I had to pinch myself sitting there looking at that beautiful view, still one of our favourite places to sit and watch the world go by! Bob cooked a BBQ tonight and our favourite green bean dish! you know the one!

Friday - We took the Dolmus to Kas today, 7TL each way, forgetting it was market day, so standing room only, but a kind gentleman gave up his seat for me! Is that what I will get now I am a pensioner!!! The Dolmus went via the Hospital, not been that way before. We went to Mumi Beach Club which we had discovered last year, it's to the right of the harbour, really nice if you find yourself in Kas.  We didn't get back until well after 7pm, what a beautiful day we had.  Chicken curry on the menu tonight, and it certainly was lovely!

Points of note! Although things seem a little more expensive, they aren't when you convert at the current exchange rate, we actually think things aren't too bad.  Anka Supermarket (the old Yali) isn't that well stocked, maybe that will change as the season gets going. Korsan Fish Terrace opens on Sunday, Korsan Meze opened a couple of days ago, beach chairs we think on Monday as is Kalkan Beach Park. Main street not yet closed to traffic, but should be in a few days. Chilly in the evenings, so need a cardigan or pashmina girls!

Saturday - Anyway hope this has updated our week so far, looking forward to today! our friends are arriving in Kalkan!!! Adfab Style! Will report back in a few days!

Sx

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:47:08 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
I'm sat in bed I chilly Staffordshire reading your lovely report and thinking that six weeks today we will be singing our way to Kalkan. I'm sure we will be singing but as my I pad won't let me change it to WINGING you know what I mean. Lots of lovely things planned and just to be in KAlkan for my 70th (no surely you can't be I hear you say) is so special
We have been lucky enough to be retired 10 years now. Been round the world but never found anywhere that has captured our hearts like Kalkan.
Hope we will be lucky enough to meet up for a drink but if not I hope your holiday is special especially as you like us are sharing it with friends who love
Kalkan as much as you.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Aww Joycie not long and you'll be winging and singing your way to Kalkan! Hopefully we'll get that drink, would be lovely to meet you and Brian x

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »
Shirl......you and Bob are certainly relaxing into your new lifestyle with real style! Can’t wait to see/meet you for real in five weeks!  :)

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
Oh Jayne, how amazing that you have taken early retirement and you are in Kalkan for 8 whole weeks. That sounds bliss and I’m so jealous! Well done you. We can’t wait for our time to come. We are back out again in 10weeks time so will miss you again. Have the best time. Sarah x
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:37 PM »
It’s so good to see you two again. So happy for you both and slightly green with envy too!  :-*

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »
I think that "lifestyle change" looks good on you both  ;D ;D
Very jealous and expect you will need to do more posts...you know to keep those grey cells ticking over :-*
Looking forward to hearing how Kalkan's very own Patsy and Eddi get on over the next couple of weeks with all you have planned for Automan's birthday and of course look forward to celebrating with you on your special day really soon!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
Well it's been a busy week,  but ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!

Still no beds on the town beach, but we are hoping very soon.  We've had a water cut on Saturday due to a burst pipe in the road somewhere, but all was sorted that evening, electric off this morning, the mozzies are here already! and I've been bitten several times! and yesterday a bit of heat stroke and had to retire to my bed at 9pm, but you know what we don't mind because it is so lovely being here.  "We've Finally Gone and Done It" has been the best decision ever! and to add to that my partner in crime is here and we are having a lovely time!

Thank you all for your lovely comments, I will report back in more detail shortly!

Sx

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
The "Mossie Buster" truck was out tonight spraying so hopefully you won't be on their menu any longer

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
Goodness, hope that mossie buster works its magic or I'll be dish of the day.........and then Jayne we'll have matching dresses and bites!!  :laugh:
Carry on having fun!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
I remember now the very first time I came to Kalkan it was May and I got eaten alive byMozzies. Didn't have Mossie busters then. Hope they work for you.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
Are you sure it's the pesky mozzies and not the even "peskier" olive flies? May is usually peak time for the little blighters  :-[

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 05:57:01 AM »
I now take a vitamin B12 two weeks before going out on holiday and then the whole time away, I’ve not been bitten yet 🤞and if I do they never get as bad as they normally do, it’s the yeast I’ve been told 

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 06:14:30 AM »
Sod’s law ,I have just found a bite on my ankle and I sprayed 😢

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »
Oh how pesky are those biting things...be they mozzies or olive flies. I know when we've been in may before, it was the olive flies that bit us...especially during the day! I'm like a magnet for them so take anything and everything I possibly can...I take vitamin B1 from April onwards - not heard about B12 for Mozzies, Lynne T...can always add that to my list if you think it works.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your stay, Jayne...plenty of time!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »
We've been here well over a week now, and the days are rolling into one! It's a fabulous feeling!

Sadly, this morning I have woken up and my face feels like it has done 2 rounds with Mike Tyson! Yes, those pesky mozzies, olive flies, not sure what but they are, but they have certainly got me, and this morning on my face too! Avon Skin so Soft people have told me is good! but I don't have any here, but will certainly try it next time! We noticed the Ghost Busters on foot going round outside our apartment yesterday spraying, but the little blighters are still out in avengeance!

I've actually lost track of the days. All I know is that Lizilu and Automan have arrived and we have had a fab few days. We spent days at the Rhapsody by their pool which has been beautiful such a lovely hotel.  We spent a day down at the Asfiya which again is one of our favourites, eaten at Sade, Begonville, and last night Marina and of course cooked at home too along with a couple of BBQs, all of which have been fantastic! On Tuesday we all went to the Motown Evening at Black and Gold, well I will let my Partner in Crime elaborate but just to say we were all very delicate yesterday especially after getting to bed at 2.30am! but it was a truly Ad Fab style evening, one to remember!  :D ;D

Yesterday we all wandered down through the Lykia estate to the harbour where we sat for a good couple of hours at Fener, we had a beautiful lunch, mine being a chicken fajita salad, it tasted delicious, Fener still is one of my favourite places to be. Lunch definitely sorted us all out! no alcohol for me I had agreed with myself! Sunbeds were calling so we said our farewells until meeting up for dinner at Marina last night.

Back home and the thermometer was reading 33.6 in the shade! wow it was hot. I braved the pool, it is still freezing cold but really lovely for a quick dip in these temperatures.  I am so surprised how hot it is in May, I thought we would be needing a cardigan or maybe trousers in the evening! but you certainly don't. 

We had a fantastic meal at Marina, Mario, George & David are all there, and made us all so welcome.  Lizzie and Automan's friends had arrived and it was lovely to meet them.  We had a fantastic meal, Bob and I went for the peppered steak and it truly was amazing!Their set meal this year is 78TL, anything off the menu, including mezze starters and balloon bread, such good value! and top notch steak to say the least!

I think I am up-to-date now with my blog, but am sure Lizilu will be filling in the missing gaps!

On the down side of things! My Fitbit has cracked!! not sure how I did it, but only noticed it yesterday afternoon!  :'(

Tomorrow is our first boat trip, so will report back soon.  A new one for us this year, and we are looking forward to it!

Sx
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:39:34 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Sat in bed eating a piece of toast reading your lovely report and wishing my life away till June 23rd. Have a lovely boat trip and look forward to hearing all about it.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
We've found it's B1, not B12!

B1 is the principle part of yeast (as in Marmite).  Since the little critters don't (apparently) like Marmite , the B1 is supposed to be effective.

Since we started using it, it seems to work - start on one a day a few days before departure).  Doesn't stop the Olve flies. but then what does, apart from DEET?

In the end, if it works, it works - you just have to try everything until you find what works for you (note that mossies have a favourite blood group as well - not a hoax, that bit).

B1, Garlic and alcohol, if they're not dead, they're happy!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Finally joined

Started by Mick the Loiner on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 06:55:33 AM
by kim21
xx
Can it finally be true?

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 11:42:25 PM
by itstime
xx
Finally - it's arrived........

Started by happy days on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 10:18:33 AM
by Chris_S
xx
Shirley's back for 2015 Finally!!!!

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

70 Replies
Last post April 13, 2015, 07:55:19 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Efes

Views: 3033
By: misty
Side Temple