Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20 - 50 Shades of May  (Read 16463 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The secret Kalkan diary of Lizilu20 - 50 Shades of May
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:48 AM »
Wednesday 23rd May 2018

Monday was Automan's birthday eve and what could be better to start the celebrations than a sunset at Patara then back to Bob and Jaynes for a BBQ.
The day was a little overcast at times but the sun constantly burst through so seemed perfect conditions.

We pitched up at Shirl's, where the mini bus picked us up and off we set armed with wine, beer and nibbles. The Knobbers have never been to Patara before so we eagerly watched their faces as we pulled up at the majestic dunes. They didn't diassapoint! Their jaws dropped in unison and up they scampered like mountain goats while we followed until we reached the peak of the second dune. Patara beach was virtually deserted as it swept out below us, all 12 miles visible to the eye and the sea shimmering like Megan's veil as it gently lapped at its shores.
This is Automan's special place and one of his birthday presents from some other friends from home is a tiny jar of Patara sand that they collected when they were there back in Easter. They gave him this before we came out and he's been carrying it around from room to room until he finally got to sink his toes in the silken sand once again.
We stayed at the dunes for around half an hour before moving on to the beach itself, where we pitched our towels and got stuck into the wine. We had visions of a sky full red, gold and yellow as we romantically sipped our drinks and marveled at the sight if Patara's famous sunsets.
Sadly this was not to be as the sky was now thick with cloud, no sun visible at all as we waited, and waited and waited until it got to 8.20pm, almost black and still no sunset.
Are we the only people in the world that pick the one bloody day in the whole year that there is no visible sunset at Patara? Yup, that just about sums it up!
Never mind, we had a brilliant time, frolicking on the beach and we laughed and laughed until it was time to head back to Bob and Jayne's for the sumptuous feast that awaited us.
The laughter continued and the drinks flowed as we feasted on Bob's delicious fayre. We had chicken sis, mouthwatering meatballs and green beans with tomatoes (one of my favourite Turkish meals). With home made hummus, haydari and a beautiful salad and crusty bread to accompany. It was absolutely scrumptious and the birthday eve celebrations continued until the early hours. Thank you Shirl and Bob for being amazing hosts and for washing our smalls too! Automan is extremely grateful for that as he was at that stage of contemplating turning his last pair inside out!

The big 50! Oh my words what can I say! What a brilliant day we had yesterday.
Unbeknown to Automan I'd asked our friend who has a sign writing business, to knock us up a couple of banners and she didn't disappoint. They were a good 3 feet long with various pics of him at his worst, or best possibly! The one with him naked with a guitar covering his modesty seemed to draw the most attention! I'd conspired with Shirl and she had gone undercover on a mission, firstly to Adem, then to alternatif where the banners were secreted until the big day.
We arrived at the harbour to be greeted by Adem outside Yildiz 3 with a firework and strains of happy birthday! Automan's face was a picture. Especially when he glanced up at the boat and there he was, emblazoned across it above the gangplank, surrounded by balloons, tinsel and bizarrely Christmas decorations, jingle bells etc. Adem had really gone to town at decorating the boat, what a superstar.
We set off on our way when suddenly the boat started lurching about and we felt like we were on a rollercoaster, definitely no chance of kaputas today. Poor Shirl's face took on a green tinge as we held onto our towels for dear life! It finally got a little less choppy as we moored up by snake island and we enjoyed the start of our day of fun on the high seas. As we continued on our tour, suddenly alongside us, were  2 dolphins jumping high and matching our speed. Adem instantly stopped the engines as we eagerly waited for another sign of them but it was to be a tease and no more sightings for us sadly. We lazed about all day, with the occasional bang of burst balloons disturbing our slumbers, also Mr Knobbers snores reached a crescendo at times too.
At cake time, out came Adem with the most delicious and amazing cake and a pair of guitar sunglasses for Automan to wear while blowing out his 50th birthday candles.
It was an amazing day with amazing friends and new friends we made on the day, who joined in our celebrations with gusto! All too soon it was time to head home, weary and shattered after a day on the party boat.

Last night we continued the birthday celebrations at alternatif, where the 2nd banner was proudly adorned in the trees, surrounded by balloons.
Shirl you did good girl and so did Alternatif. The food and atmosphere was amazing as always. The juiciest steaks washed down with drinks a'flowing. Perfect.
We finished off the night with champagne cocktails at Yakamoz, sat regally on those thrones like kings and queens. The perfect end to a perfect birthday.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 08:45:17 AM »
Wow! - what an amazing day & wonderful birthday for Shaun!   The pictures looked great including the Christmas decs!   Just loving your reports Lizilu, keep them coming,  a week today and we will be hot fitting it to London Stansted x

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 08:56:50 AM »
Oh Lizzie what a fabulous account of Automan's day yesterday! We had an absolute ball and we were so happy to be able to join in the celebrations! Automan's face was a picture so many times during the day! So glad he had a fantastic time.  Day of rest today but looking forward to meeting you later for a late lunch at the harbour! :D :D

Sx

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
Fantastic!  Once again - very happy birthday Shaun!!  Did Alternatif treat you to that bizarre foam stuff we got covered in last year? 

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
What a wonderful birthday celebration. Sounds just perfect can't wait to begin mine.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
What an absolutely fab report, Lizilu. Sounds like Automan is making the most of his landmark birthday with more than one opportunity to celebrate. Although I'm glad the undies situation was sorted...not good to be wearing 2-day old undercrackers on your birthday now is it?
What a shame about the Patara sunset, especially for the Knobbers who've not seen it before. I'm sure there'll be another chance-maybe not this holiday as you are really packing in the activities. I'm exhausted after a day out on the boats...cant imagine how you managed an evening out too..! Love Jimmys though...their cocktails are decent as well!

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip to Meis - you sound like you are having the best time!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Automan's birthday sounded amazing......and I'm so glad he had clean undies for the occasion!  :laugh:
I'm also looking forward to hearing about Meis.....each year we say "maybe we'll go this year!"

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
Keep them coming lizilu.   We are out again very shortly but will not be able to match your very full life style.   More just dozing in the shade with a book and a glass, with the odd dip in the pool.   

We have booked a boat trip though and looking forward to that.    Not good on water but will be taking tablets and hoping for quiet coves.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Friday 25th May 2018 - live from Meis

Wednesday was a sad day. We waved off our friends, the Knobbers who were going home, after enjoying a lovely late lunch together at Aubergine and  had a relatively early (for us) night in preparation for our early start on Thursday.

Yesterday we were up with the larks and on our way to a holiday within a holiday. The Meis express car collected us from the Rhapsody at 8am and soon we were driving along the beautiful winding D400 coastal road to Kas. Next stop was the ticket office where we handed in our passports and collected our tickets for the ferry. It was very smooth, we stored our cases and went off in search of breakfast as we had an hour or so to kill.
After a light breakfast of menemen for Automan and a cheese toastie for Shirl, we boarded the ferry and set off on our way across to the Greek island of Meis/kastellorizo where we are staying overnight. The crossing was very smooth and within half a our or so we arrived and checked in to the Megisti hotel. Wow wow wow! Words cannot describe how beautiful this little gem of a hotel is. It's perched at the opposite end of the bay and our room has a sweeping view of the whole of the harbour, Kas and the mini islands of the bay between. Truly magical.

So we quickly emptied our overnight case and went off in search of adventure, mythos and retsina. We found all 3 within 5 mins and were soon settling into Greek culture.
For lunch we ate at a beautiful family run restaurant called Lazarakis, overlooking the sparkling sea and the bay. The church bells ringing and our tummies rumbling indicating we were good and ready for some Greek cuisine.
We enjoyed pork souvlaki, chicken souvlaki, Greek salads and creamy garlicky tzatziki with crusty bread, washed down with a carafe of wine and lashings of mythos. All this with a view to die for.
We then walked off our feast, passing quaint brightly painted restaurants, shops and houses and around the back streets of this beautiful island.
Back to the hotel then for a siesta on the terrace overlooking the bay, with direct entry swimming platforms where we inched our way into the turquoise sea, as clear as glass and as cold as ice! So refreshing.

Last night we ate at a table directly next to the sea at Athina's restaurant, named after his daughter who is studying at university in London. We were accompanied by a turtle (also named Athina) who stayed by our table all night bobbing her pretty wizened head up periodically for a titbit that we threw for her. She particularly enjoyed the shells from our juicy  jumbo prawns which were as big as our out stretched hands and creamy, buttery and garlicky. We greedily finished then off, licking our buttery fingers. Oh my word they were amazing. For mains I had goat roasted in the oven all day which was infused with thyme, garlic and cinnamon and melted in the mouth. Automan had lamb also cooked the same way, Bob had stuffed dolmades and tomato and peppers and I cannot for the life of me remember what Shirl had but no doubt she will remind me later. This is probably because by the time Shirl had made up her mind, I'd already downed half a carafe! After our feast fit for a king, we weaved our way home, singing 'show me the way to go home' tunelessly and having photo shoots, Shirley Valentine style by the edge of the sea, goodness knows how we didn't end up in there!

This morning we have feasted on a sumptuous breakfast and I'm writing this, sitting on the balcony, overlooking the bay, having just watched the Meis express dock and the speedboats zooming away, crammed with people off to the blue cave.
Shirl, Bob and Automan are off on adventures up to the castle but seeing as my knees are a bit dodgy today, I thought I'd do my duty and report back like the dedicated roving reporter I am, keeping hydrated with the well stocked and free mini bar to keep me company. The sunlight is bouncing off the sea and the boats are bobbing away. Me? Ha, I'm in paradise.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »
Efharisto for such a lovely report. We've been to Meis a couple of times and as already reported are off again at the end of June. Such a lovely place for a mini break not sure I'd want  to spend a whole holiday there. Mind you it's worth it for a bottle of Metaxa to bring back to Turkey.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »
*sigh*
A beautifully written report - I was totally transported there, can even smell the sea...What a fabulous holiday you are having and Meis really is the icing on the cake. Such a gorgeous spot and I'm sure an overnight stay there is truly magical...in 2 short weeks we'll be in Turkey, although not Kalkan. After reading this, I wish we'd made our "road trip" Meis this year...maybe next time!
Yamas :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
That sounds amazing Liz. Def on my list to do
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »
Lizzie another fab report, only you could describe it as it really is, just reminiscing now of that fantastic view from the balcony where you did your blog?  What an amazing 2 days we've had. Simply magical and very very special!
K4E not long now, imagine the packing has begun!  ;D
Sx
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:00:40 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
Sounds absolutely amazing.......you've certainly had a holiday to remember lizilu!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
Tuesday 29th May 2018

Firstly apologies for leaving this last report until today but the pull of the washer was far too strong. Hate that unlike an apartment, in a hotel, unless you pay for laundry service, you arrive home with 2 suitcases full of pongy clothes. I managed to clean my bikini's on the go in the shower like treading grapes but couldn't do this for all the washing. I'm just glad that Bob and Jayne offered to wash Automan's undies so I didn't have to squelch those through my toes.  :-\  I convinced him before we left that 5 pairs was enough so I could use his luggage allowance for my essentials, but didn't bank on the fact that I'd then have to somehow clean them.  ::)

So Friday was our last day in Meis. It was bliss sitting on our balcony, the sun's rays sweeping in, but me shaded perfectly, watching the maid frenziedly push herself in the posh swinging chair, feet pushing off against the wall for maximum impact and watching the Greek village world go by. While I was blissfully blogging, the other 3 scampered up to the castle and Automan climbed like a mountain goat up a very rickety ladder to balance precariously on the top turret, waving and shouting to me across the bay, while I took no notice as I had my head in my ipad, merrily blogging away. When I say merrily, I mean merrily. I remembered waking up thirsty during the night and glugging down the large glass of water on my bedside table. It was only when they returned that Automan reminded me that the water was in fact a minibar gin and tonic he'd made for me the previous night, and it was actually 6.30 in the morning, as he'd witnessed me down it in one. No wonder the musings were a'flowing.
When they arrived back, we spent a few hours on the beautiful terrace and witnessed the fantastic sight of the massive Rhodes ferry dock in the bay. The huge ship en route from Piraeus managed to sweep in and out without having to manouvere, goodness knows how, probably years of practice. Her booming horn alerting us, firstly she was almost here and latterly that she was off on her travels. It certainly was a sight to behold.
All too soon it was time to check out and we ambled alround the bay, passing all the pastel buildings, finally meeting up with Shirl and Bob in the duty free shop.  Shopping done, we parked ourselves in a taverna and scoffed gyros and quaffed beer and wine until the Meis express beckoned us back to Kas.
We arrived back in Kalkan approx 6.30pm ish and after a quick shower Automan and I traipsed back into town for our penultimate night. Shirl and Bob preferring to stay in.
We ate in Trio. Consistently one of the best (INMHO) restaurants in terms of food quality, ambience and attentiveness. The price very competitive this year as previously we've found it to be one of the most expensive restaurants. Not so this year. We even had to send a bottle of wine back as we think it was ever so slightly corked, it kind of fizzed on the tongue with a musty taste and smell. No problem, it was swiftly replaced and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening.

Saturday was our last day and was as Shirl described in her blog today. A dull day in many ways and before we knew it saturday turned into sunday and we were back down that D400, the road of joy upon arrival and despair as we headed back to Dalaman and on our way home. Our only consolation that we will be back in 9 weeks with 2 of our girls to keep us company.

We had a ball and Automan had a fantastic birthday thanks to lots of people but especially to Bob and our entertainment manager Jayne, who made his birthday really special.  :-*l

I'll finish off with a few random bits and bobs tomorrow as work is calling right now and sadly it's back to reality with a bump.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:01:02 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
Ahhh Lizilu, the pain of departure only made slightly better by a swift return to our Happy Place...9 weeks will fly!
I've really enjoyed reading your wonderful holiday reports, thank you so much for sharing and look forward to more to come very soon!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »
Lizilu, your reports have been brilliant! I feel only you would knock back a G&T first thing In the morning thinking it was water!  ;D ;D

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
I’ve loved reading your reports - you have a fab writing style!

Sorry we won’t see you this year xx

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
A fab finale Lizzie but only for a few more weeks when we get to read your blogs all over again, thank you for such a fun 2 weeks, we enjoyed it so much! Missing my partner in crime though!

Sx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
Wednesday 30th May 2018

Random ramblings;

1. The Rhapsody - fab hotel, beautifully refurbished to a very high standard and Antonia the manager is a superstar. We can highly recommend. They decorated our room for Automan's birthday and our bed was transformed into towel works of art with flowers and petals adorning the swans. Our room had a magnificent floor to ceiling window view of Kalkan bay and the harbour.

2. The knobbers -  Our best friends at home accompanied us on our first ever holiday to Kalkan in 2009 and haven't been back since. They absolutely loved it and will be back again.

3. This one's for Shirl - Always break in new sandals before wearing this one pair in Meis, even if they have diamonds on.  ;)  We were on tenterhooks she was going to break a limb as she tripped over her own feet at least 3 times.

4. This one's for Automan - Always check which side the lift opens before headbutting it,  to find the door behind you opening with amused holiday makers smirking at you.

5. Giant prawns in Meis are a must, as is a steak at Sade and Alternativ.

6. Aqua cafe on Kalamar road well worth a walk up to for lunch.

7. Never go to Patara beach to watch the sunset when no sun is actually available to the naked eye.

8. Seriously contemplating only taking 1 pair of undies for Automan in August, 1 shirt, 1 T shirt and one pair of shorts, the rest of his baggage allowance will be made up of slimline tonic as I have put the best part of 9lbs on and that's with only eating 2 healthy meals per day and no snacks between meals. No ice cream consumed at all, however I did eat my body weight in chocolate coated Turkish delight as a midnight feast on 2 occasions.

9. Sweet Dreams - see number 8. Crispy chocolate coated Turkish delight, like mini eggs but with TD in the middle. Milk choc coated soft ones and white choc apricot are a must. Upon reflection, I know what contributed to my downfall.

10. Thank you for all your lovely comments, responses and thank you's. Hopefully I will continue again in August but with no Hutch to my Starsky, Patsy to my Edina, Thelma to my Louise, Cagney to my Lacey, Saunders to my French or Monica to my Rachel  ;D I'm not sure there will be much to write about.  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Bodrum

Views: 3287
By: blondie
Such pretty flowers