Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Only gone and done it......but am having buyers remorse....  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
So after months of scouring sky scanner on an hourly basis for decent flight prices for September ( thanks Martyn Lewis for screwing up the November Easyjet release...)   i got caught up in the new routes from Dublin to Dalaman with Ryanair and have booked!

We are paying £45 each way from Birmingham to Dublin (including bags and seat reservations) and Euro 72.50 each way from Dublin to Dalaman....... it works out at a total cost of £228!  Yes we have to have a night in a hotel in Dublin but we will still be sub £300 per person...
........ then I remembered how much I dislike Ryanair....... ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13922.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Re: Only gone and done it......but am having buyers remorse....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
Well done it sounds like a plan. Looking for flights for next year and so far they're extortionate.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »
72.50 Euro...from Dublin to Dalaman?..Do you have a seat or are you in the overhead lockers? ;D >:D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
Just be sure you're actually going to Dalaman - remember they once tried to sell tickets to Bergen that landed in the Shetlands (it was the nearest they could get!).

Personally, I would NEVER fly RyanAir, purely on moral grounds.  BA (aka VuelingMax) may be the next in the race to the bottom.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Just think of all the extra money for boat trips, cocktails, etc. when you're cursing the flight. It'll be worth it.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
Yes definitely worth it Hayley  :D :D

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:12:45 PM »

I don't have a problem with Ryanair and don't really understand why there is so much moaning about them.  I have probably used them 20 times over the years and in return for a very cheap fare (often an 800 mile flight for less than the cost of the 30 mile train ride to the airport) have always got an on time flight in a new/newish plane.

In fact I wish Ryanair would start a few UK to Dalaman routes and put some pressure on the other airlines to lower their prices.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »
I agree Alantj. Never flew with them until very recently and did a 4 hr flight to Canary Islands. New plane, very pleasant, helpful staff and as they now take hand luggage of you at the departure gate no faffing about trying to squeeze it into the overhead locker. When they released the flights Dublin to Dalaman last week they were 40Euro each way. Needless to say I just had to go for an additional week :)
I think the other carriers need some competition.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »
I wish they'd taken on the Monarch slots from LBA!

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
Blue  Lizard - yes, we have seats...and 20kg of luggage and 2 cabin bags for that price

Chris S - I guess you understand how i am feeling then.....

Atlantj - that makes me feel much better - i just need to get over myself!!

Everyone else...it's September before you get the travel blog about what it was like so hopefully we will get a few good reports of the journey before then!!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
Cheap isn't always better!

If you're happy with the service then good luck to you.  Especially if it actually goes to an airport that's actually near where you want to be going!

Now this is my view:

The low headline price doesn't always reflect a low total price, especially with the add-ons, which O'Leary's business model has rubbed off on to everything else, from buying your own food on board, to charging for the tickets, etc., once part of the price.  This O'Leary model now applies to almost everything else, from concert/theatre tickets (extra charge to actually book the thing, and extra again to collect it from the box office!) to everything else that now has an essential add-on instead of being in the price as it always was.

The aircraft are new-ish, because he doesn't buy them.  Like most (budget) airlines, he leases them until the engines are worth more than a new aircraft, cancels the lease and gets a new one.  The aircraft may only be 3 years old and often may be scrapped.  Ask yourself who's paying for the £10m aircraft in these circumstances?  Could it be the passenger, perhaps, with £35+ for printing a boarding card, etc?  Let's not even think about the ecology aspect of scrapping new aircraft, the £2500 charge the cabin staff get charged for their training and uniforms, and the other employment issues that keep raising their head.  You may think the aircraft could be used by another airline, but this happens less and less, since airlines configure the aircraft specifically for themselves, and this isn't useful for other airlines, and the interior would then have to be thrown away, anyway.

BA/Vueling are plummeting down the customer approval ratings, by using this model, and others are going the same route to perdition.  Whatever happened to the 'customer is always right', and more importantly, customer relations?  RyanAir happen to take up the majority of Trading Standards cases in Eire, ever asked why?

Ask yourself if you really want to go the route of standing on a flight, paying £2 to use the loo and, as O'Leary said, no luggage, just buy what you need when you get there, and dump it when you return!  Nice.

No Thanks, I'll pay more to get the best I can get, because I deserve it,  even if even that experience isn't as good as it once was.

Sorry if you're offended, but by heading for the bottom line, all you're doing is encouraging the eejit.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
Cheap isn't always better!

If you're happy with the service then good luck to you.  Especially if it actually goes to an airport that's actually near where you want to be going!

Now this is my view:

The low headline price doesn't always reflect a low total price, especially with the add-ons, which O'Leary's business model has rubbed off on to everything else, from buying your own food on board, to charging for the tickets, etc., once part of the price.  This O'Leary model now applies to almost everything else, from concert/theatre tickets (extra charge to actually book the thing, and extra again to collect it from the box office!) to everything else that now has an essential add-on instead of being in the price as it always was.

The aircraft are new-ish, because he doesn't buy them.  Like most (budget) airlines, he leases them until the engines are worth more than a new aircraft, cancels the lease and gets a new one.  The aircraft may only be 3 years old and often may be scrapped.  Ask yourself who's paying for the £10m aircraft in these circumstances?  Could it be the passenger, perhaps, with £35+ for printing a boarding card, etc?  Let's not even think about the ecology aspect of scrapping new aircraft, the £2500 charge the cabin staff get charged for their training and uniforms, and the other employment issues that keep raising their head.  You may think the aircraft could be used by another airline, but this happens less and less, since airlines configure the aircraft specifically for themselves, and this isn't useful for other airlines, and the interior would then have to be thrown away, anyway.

BA/Vueling are plummeting down the customer approval ratings, by using this model, and others are going the same route to perdition.  Whatever happened to the 'customer is always right', and more importantly, customer relations?  RyanAir happen to take up the majority of Trading Standards cases in Eire, ever asked why?

Ask yourself if you really want to go the route of standing on a flight, paying £2 to use the loo and, as O'Leary said, no luggage, just buy what you need when you get there, and dump it when you return!  Nice.

No Thanks, I'll pay more to get the best I can get, because I deserve it,  even if even that experience isn't as good as it once was.

Sorry if you're offended, but by heading for the bottom line, all you're doing is encouraging the eejit.

I am not offended but do think you are describing a mythical version of Ryanair, in part created by the eejit who like the free publicity and the fact it reinforces the message that Ryanair has the cheapest fares.

There are no charges for the loo or standing only seats and I have no problem with extras costing extra when I have usually paid less than £50 for the flight. Your description of why they have new aircraft also seems mythical, I looked this up and found that their average age is 6.5 years, this is lower than most airlines because they have bought so many planes in the last few years not because they are retiring aircraft early.

Overall I have no problem with Ryanair's approach as the service is pretty similar to all the other budget airlines and you get what you pay for. I have more of a problem with getting on a BA flight and being charged £4 for an M&S sandwich.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
Lets remember the flight is a means to an end...and its only 8 hrs out of your life.
I'm not a fan of Ryanair, or Thomas Cook but I'd fly with both of them if they offered the cheapest fares for the flight times I want.
We just want to get to Turkey paying as little as possible for our daytime flights.
You've done the right thing, Haybo and what's not to like about an overnight stay in Dublin  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »
My point is this:

O'Leary wanted to have standing and paid for loos.  He'll always find a way to charge extra for something.  Just wait…

I don't have a problem with cheap fares per se, but low headline prices force competitors to try to match them, resulting in deteriorating service, and the inevitable add-ons.  If you don't want to be treated as SLC (Self-Loading Cargo - airline phrase) then your options are over-inflated fares to make up for the ultra budget ones.  In effect, the rest of us subsidise the ultra low fares, if we can afford them.

The average age of the fleet is somewhat controversial.  RyanAir themselves say its 5.5 years (http://bit.ly/2GcUoQc), other websites calculate it according to their own type databases, which don't include all variants, so some aircraft get left out.  The figures are further skewed by EI-SewV, a Boeing 737-700 which is 16.5 years old and only has 60 seats (the current ones have 189); basic maths tell us the effect that has on 'averages'.  My point was more about the practice of scrapping relatively new aircraft, which ultimately has to be paid for by the passenger.

And as for the BA sandwich, I agree.  Vueling model themselves on RyanAir.  (The boss of Vueling is the boss of BA, in case you wondered) - so you can see where the idea came from.)

At the end of the day, cheap is fine - we all have a choice.  But reduced standards and quality isn't, especially when the industry is forced downwards to compete, and you're left with less choice and more airlines going bust.  You get what you pay for - Pay '70s Skoda, get '70s Skoda, and I don't see the current, much better quality, Skoda, not selling, do you?

And don't even get me started on their employment ethics… >:D

Just my opinion of course, I have a very low tolerance of what 'budget' really means!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
My point is this:

O'Leary wanted to have standing and paid for loos.  He'll always find a way to charge extra for something.  Just wait…

I don't have a problem with cheap fares per se, but low headline prices force competitors to try to match them, resulting in deteriorating service, and the inevitable add-ons.  If you don't want to be treated as SLC (Self-Loading Cargo - airline phrase) then your options are over-inflated fares to make up for the ultra budget ones.  In effect, the rest of us subsidise the ultra low fares, if we can afford them.

The average age of the fleet is somewhat controversial.  RyanAir themselves say its 5.5 years (http://bit.ly/2GcUoQc), other websites calculate it according to their own type databases, which don't include all variants, so some aircraft get left out.  The figures are further skewed by EI-SewV, a Boeing 737-700 which is 16.5 years old and only has 60 seats (the current ones have 189); basic maths tell us the effect that has on 'averages'.  My point was more about the practice of scrapping relatively new aircraft, which ultimately has to be paid for by the passenger.

And as for the BA sandwich, I agree.  Vueling model themselves on RyanAir.  (The boss of Vueling is the boss of BA, in case you wondered) - so you can see where the idea came from.)

At the end of the day, cheap is fine - we all have a choice.  But reduced standards and quality isn't, especially when the industry is forced downwards to compete, and you're left with less choice and more airlines going bust.  You get what you pay for - Pay '70s Skoda, get '70s Skoda, and I don't see the current, much better quality, Skoda, not selling, do you?

And don't even get me started on their employment ethics… >:D

Just my opinion of course, I have a very low tolerance of what 'budget' really means!

O'Leary has admitted that many of his comments are intended to generate publicity and that even if it appears at first sight to be bad publicity it reinforces the perception that Ryanair always has the cheapest flights.

My own view of Ryanair comes from flying on it. It's not my first choice but sometimes it has been the only airline going where we want to and others it has been half the price of competing airlines. So far we have always got what we paid for a budget flight at a budget cost.

If they did open up UK to Dalaman routes, they would surely force down the riduculous prices being charged by the other airlines, which would hugely benefit Kalkan.

This year we are doing reasonably well for bookings with 8 weeks already booked, but have a nothing from the start of the school holidays until mid August.  This is down to flight prices not lack of interest, we have had three enquiries for this period but all fell down when they realised that flights would cost £500 plus. I know that two of the families eventually gave up on Turkey and booked for Greece/Portugal saving over £200 per head.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »
It is such a shame regarding flight prices. What people don't realize is they may get to the Eurozone dirt cheap but will be paying a hefty premium on eating out etc. Turkey with the good exchange rate is a far better bet. However last year we flew to Shanghai in May and the fare was only £50 more than an August  flight to Turkey. Absolute madness.

I don't like

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »
Well we are off to Cork with Ryanair in September so we shall see if they are worth considering for next year.

Haybo - the less you spend on the flight, the more you can spend in Kalkan, boosting their economy and your handbag shelf.   ;)

TBH, if their safety record is good, then that's all that counts, however I totally geddit that that if you want a little luxury, don't fly Ryanair. I'll be interested to see how it compares with Easyjet who we have now fallen in love with.

I am the speedyboarding queen  ;D

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
I think we're agreed, that we disagree to some extent.  Cheapest isn't always the best way to ensure quality later - look at the airlines that failed trying to compete.  There was nothing wrong with them, they just tried playing with a straight bat, as it were.

As for O'Leary alleging that it was publicity: he had to say this afterwards, he would have been nailed to a tree if he hadn't recanted publicly (again).  Unfortunate for him that the two companies he's asked to prototype his standing seats went public and rather showed what he really meant!

With Monarch out of the equation, and BA being an acronym for Bloody Awful (and having to troll 2 hours to Gatwick), it'll have to be EasyJet for us, because when we booked it was the only option out of Luton.  I wait with (some) trepidation...!! ;D).

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 07:08:42 PM »
Well, I have flown many times with EasyJet and Ryanair and have never had a problem. If I were flying long haul then neither of them would be my first choice, however for a 4 hour flight to Turkey I wouldn’t hesitate. Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones. Whereas ... BA..... don’t get me started  >:D
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »
We are big easyjet fans, never had a problem. You get what you pay for and we’ve had some of the best customer service on easyjet flights. The only reason we use BA for other European flights is because we collect Avios points so we get them very cheap. For overall short haul experience easyjet is our carrier of choice. Ryanair provides us with our most entertaining flight ever........but that’s a long story!  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
'Foreign buyers not hurting tourism'

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 11:45:27 AM
by Alfaman
xx
White Dreams Apartments buyers.

Started by Seastar on Buying A Property & Real Estate

9 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 09:13:37 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Calling all owners - what's your best advise for newbie buyers?

Started by lorilou on Buying A Property & Real Estate

21 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 10:56:27 PM
by Rockykalamar

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Proud Auntie

Views: 609
By: jinfizzz
Market Day