Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: And Breathe!  (Read 20282 times)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
And Breathe!
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »
I'm within touching distance ofKalkan 24 hours andBirmingham airport will be underneath my feet.
What a month September has turned out to be. Normally my three weeks in Kalkan begin and end in Septemberbut this month I have become a great grandmother and with all its trauma including the most beautiful Savannah-Joyce 7lb5oz and the most adorable but naughty Bruno a staffie that I have been in charge of most of the month it has now become three weeks in October.
Then Monarch turned into a problem and may still be so. We fly out on Monday for three weeks and hopefully will do both journeys with Monarch unfettered by any worries.
I'll let you know.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13831.0

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
Re: And Breathe!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
in 5 days time we will be on one of Mr Cook's planes winging our way for a week.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
Yippee Babs, Joycie and pompeyalbie! What a treat we have in store for us on the holiday report front 🤣🤣

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
Can't wait to hear all about your exploits. I must admit to be feeling slightly envious. Would love to be back in Kalkan.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
Just hoping Monarch won't fold!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
So far so good Joycie, fingers crossed for you! Looking forward to hearing all about your holiday to get us in the mood for ours!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
Thanks Babs it's like being in a torture chamber waiting for news of Monarch. I've looked at every other possibility of getting to Kalkan including Turkish Airlines who fly out of Brum on a just in case scenario.
Brian has put extra insulin in in case we get delayed and that  is if actually take off. Oh woe is me I've lost all the joy I had of my holiday in Kalkan.
The swim this Saturday going to see Yusuf at Aqua the meet up at Black and Gold a trip on the bus to Fetiyhe . Just a few of our plans and I just can't get excited at the moment.
Please Monarch get your act together for tomorrow.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »
Oh Joycie, try to stay positive! I think it's the package part of the business that's in immediate trouble......fingers crossed you're on that plane winginging your way to Kalkan very soon x

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
Thinking of you today Joycie. Hope you manage to find a way to get your holiday.  :-*

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
Fingers crossed you were able to get something sorted...I could cry for you and everyone else who may have had their flights cancelled/holidays ruined. I also feel terribly sorry for the fantastic staff at Monarch, one of the other reasons we liked to fly with them.
Sad day  :(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
Joycie we are all hoping you've been able to put your fallback plan into action x

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
Don't panic MrJones comes to mind. After  restless night my worst fears were confirmed. Finger andI pad at the readyImanaged to book with Thomas Cook. In departures at Brumat the mo and I will reveal all later.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
Phew! Have a wonderful time - you certainly deserve it and fingers crossed for all other travellers who have booked with Monarch. I feel so sad for everyone including their staff.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:15:43 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
Oh Joycie I am so happy for you, have been so sad this morning for everyone yourself included.  Have a safe journey and look forward to hearing about your long awaited holiday, obviously when you have had time to catch your breath.  Take care and have fun.

:D :D :D :D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 03:31:33 PM »
I am delighted to have managed to rebook with another airline.   I thought of you immediately I heard the news this morning and have been hoping you could quickly secure another flight.   

Now you can really look forward again to your next visit to Kalkan and all its delights.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
So glad it's all worked out for you Joycie x

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »
Yes we're here. Mr Cook saw us here safely and even in only three and a half hours. I've never been best pleased with Tommy Cook short haul. Long haul has been fine but beggars can't be choosers and they dug us out of a very large hole.
Woke up early on Monday morning with a feeling of foreboding. Didn't need to switch my I pad on it was all over the early news Monarch had folded. Oh woe is me! Well I'll be blowed if I let it get me down operation get Joycie and Bri to Kalkan had begun.
My finger had never worked so hard but I secured flights with Thomas Cook from Birmingham leaving at 2oclock on Monday afternoon and return flights three weeks later with Turkish airlines via Istanbul and on to Brum. £565 in total but far better than some of the prices quoted. That included 20kg of luggage with Turkish Airlines plus meals and free drinks. TCC everything had to be paid for. Kept getting a message that I had so many minutes to complete my booking and in my haste forgot to book my luggage with Thomas Cook. Managed to check in on line and secure boarding passes but our luggage for two 18 kg suitcases cost £100 extra at the airport. It had to be done so bullet bitten we were off.
Took off on time and with a fantastic tail wind 3 1/2 hours later we landed at Dalaman. They're revamping the airport I noticed but in no time at all we had our luggage found our transfer and winging our way to Kalkan.
We arrived at Sahaine and Samet welcomed us with a lovely welcome home and that's how it felt. Didn't like to think of what it had cost us to get there but it was certainly worth it.
I actually unpacked hung everything up and then discovered that whilst I was rebooking our travel arrangements my husband had forgotten to pack his toothbrush and razor. I had left the cases open purposely so that the little items could be attended to. My electric toothbrush managed to get into the case but sadly Bri forgot to put his in.
This morning I woke up to the vista of the boats going out. It was so perfect and a view that over the years never ceases to enchant me.
We wandered down to Feners for a coffee and again the harbour was bustling and its that magical feeling that Kalkan gives you without you having to do anything to obtain it.
Noticed Samdan had closed we'd had some nice meals there last year so was sad that we couldn't do it again.
Past all the usual shops and Efes time at Bezigrans. Oh it's lunch time so Hunkars was our next stop a shared Pidet but no chips the machine wasn't working. Over to the green grocers and then Carrefour which is on our way home. Toilet rolls and bacon. Normally take bacon with us but in all the hullabaloo forgot to put it in the case.
So now we're back at Sahaine sitting drinking coffee and watching the sun glisten on the sea. It's quiet no dogs barking and indeed there don't seem to be so many dogs about. Will catch up again tomorrow. Thankyou for thinking about me don't worry I'm fine I'm in Kalkan about says it all.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
What a weekend! Blues copping a 6-1 walloping :'(! ..Monarch going under! you enjoy yourself joycie..never mind about poor old Bri with no teeth and a big bushy beard after 3 weeks :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
Oh Lizard you made me smile. Bri has just walked to Carrefour to replace his forgotten items.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
I should have added which he forgot again the first time we were in there.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal