Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Klampits hit Kalkan!  (Read 8929 times)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: The Klampits hit Kalkan!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »
So the final few days were spent soaking up the sun as we knew it would not be present when we got home!

Wednesday was as you might expect with lots of daft carrying on in the pool , trips to the barbers for some of the guys and dinner for me Dave and Matthew in Teras - it was lovely...there was a fantastic sunset which we could enjoy from that vantage point!  The sad thing about the entire evening was that we were the only table in there at 8pm- 9.30pm...

Kalkan seems generally busier, but for some reason this restaurant was not popular!  I had stuffed sea bass, Dave had a very extensive sea food platter and Matthew had something equally as lovely that I can't remember...I did that alot with his meals this trip!  We were in a rush to leave as we were meeting my gang to do some hardcore shopping.  We were a bit late as they brought us a really lovely complimentary cheesecake dessert! 

We met the gang at Yali Bar and left the boys drinking whilst us girls hit the shops......Just Silver aka The Cave of Wonders was our first port of call...Mum wanted to by Julie and I a gift so I am sporting a lovely silver and amethyst bracelet, Whilst Julie has a pretty diamante thing!!  BSG next for phone cases galore and then the bowl shop...1 large and 2 smaller bowls heading for the UK in hand luggage.

We also spent a bit of time in Yasemin's husbands shop...Mum had purchased a gorgeous necklace in there earlier in the week - I had admired a silver pomegranate so we went back to buy it,  My sister got one too so we are pomegranate twins!

We went to scoop the boys up only to find a cat on my Dad's lap - he detests cats so we all found it really funny - this thing had settled down for the night.  Had we been a less genteel group there would have been lots of crude jokes to be made, but we refrained!

Thursday - market visit for the hard core - I was particularly envious of some ugg slippers my sister had purchased but not envious enough to haul myself up there ...Dave an d M went for a shave and were late back so I couldn't even try to persuade them to go for me! 

The Last Supper was to be held at Alternatif so after a bit of packing, we got on our glad rags for the last time and headed down the hill...  good news for me, they had the Ugg slippers in Sports Direct so I now have a nice pink pair...yay!

Dinner at Alternatif was amazing - they really look after us in there.  Pretty much everyone had steak which was to die for.  Mustafa was an absolute gent and gave us a box of turkish delight each...although there were some panics about weight and luggage allowances!!  I will be posting a great Trip Advisor report when I get a minute.

One day left......

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
Cant believe you're still there...! Its been a lovely long break for you all this time and lovely to share it with your family. Safe journey home.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
no, I'm not still there...written from the comfort of my desk......

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
our last day was spent mostly soaking up the last rays of sun and worrying about how we were going to get all of our purchases into our luggage!  We had planned to head to Kaya for a breakfast, but as with alot of these ideas, enthusiasm wanes when you need to get dressed to do  it and then walk back up the hill!!!  So, more sunbathing it was, then we got ourselves sorted to head to Ata Kebab for our last lunch.

Another fab meal...I had to have an iskender kebab - I think theirs is the best..Oh I love the bread it sits on......amazing!  Dad took Mum off to the jewellers to look for a birthday gift, my sister and her lot headed back and we sat drinking Turkish Tea and eating baklava until we couldn't put it off any longer!

We schlepped up the hill for the last time and into Emir complex to find the guy from BBC - Dominic Littlewood standing at the top of the steps - I know he is friends with Lev and Jane from Cafe Leon, but they weren't anywhere to be seen.  Sent a little buzz of excitement around the complex!! 

Anyway, before you knew it I could hear the clumping of cases from next door being dragged down the stairs so it must be time to leave.  A big shout out to those still in the pool and hugs for Aytac and Turgay and we were off.  The journey up to Dalaman was uneventful, but a revelation to my family as we had arrived int he dark and so they hadn't seen all the greenhouses or the lovely mountain vista's.  It is lovely that the holiday just keeps giving gifts until the very last moment!!

Dalaman airport was less of a joy.  My handbag was going back and forth in the first security checks....they tipped it out and kept going back into the machine with it...eventually they decided my safety pins ( which have made at least 5 journeys through Dalaman) were FORBIDDEN!!!  what a rebel I am.  Somehow the ones my sister and Mum had were ok but not mine - obviously a more dangerous type of safety pin is available in Sutton coldfield!!

The fun continued at check in.  On the way out, we had asked specific questions about a battery charger for M's phone and were told it was fine on the way out but should be int he luggage for the way home.  So, we packed it in the luggage as directed.  At check-in we were asked and I responded it was in the luggage - whereby the handler demanded to see it to measure it, so I had to pull out all my dirty large's ( I don't have smalls) until it was found.  They then decided it was too big and confiscated it!!  Not happy campers.

Pretty stressful experience which was pretty arbitrary as they dropped the checks this week.  Anyhow, the flight was fine and we got back to Casa Haybo at about 1:30am. 

Blow up beds were blown up and we tried to get some shut eye, but we were all up an about ( except M) at around 6!  The rest of the fam headed off back down south and I cracked on with the washing and food shopping..how soon normality returns!

My sister is very keen that I let you know that a daily drink of Ayran has revolutionized her life.  After many years of 'struggles' in that department, her digestive system was the best it has ever been whilst in Kalkan ( 10 yrs ago they had a holiday in Marmaris where she lived on water and Twizzler lollies for the week!!) The big issue at the moment is that her corner of Hampshire doesn't seem to have a need for it so things have gone back to normal a bit - we are however trying to find a regular supply for her so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Over and out til next year!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
You can buy it in Asian shops and it's called Lassi. Supermarkets also have it but it's fruit flavoured (asda/Lidle have it). You can also make your own and there was a recipe a while ago on Friends of Kalkan I think. This is one I've just googled. https://www.giverecipe.com/how-to-make-ayran/

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »
It doesn't take long to get back into the daily grind does it.  :'( At least you have lovely memories and thanks for sharing them with us.  :-*

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
Thanks for the recipe.  She has found that none of the similar things are available in Andover either!  I guess the supermarkets only stock based upon the profile of their customers.  We can get Ayran in our local supermarket.  i will send her a batch!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal