Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Kalkan changing?  (Read 3868 times)

Offline henty0

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Is Kalkan changing?
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
Been coming to Kalkan for years, sat in Moonlight last night and was appalled to whiteness a guy walk down the steeet with a handful of novelty balloons selling them. It reminded me of Blackpool! Next minute a young girl asks one of the staff to get her one which he does and then they all start to inhale the helium and whilst parents take videos. Made my heart sink!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13791.0

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
Re: Is Kalkan changing?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
Think you will find things are changing in more ways than one, sadly not always for the better. Then Kalkan has grown over the recent years so have to expect different things to happen.     
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline mitch

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
I was also in Moonlight last night Henty and saw the same guy selling balloons and the same family having a giggle whilst inhaling the helium. I have a very different view on last night from you. I have also never seen the man selling balloons before- but I can't see the difference in this street vendor from the lovely guy who goes around restaurants every night selling roses, or the guy doing henna tattoos at the beginning of the Old Town, or even Kenan who visits bars selling nuts to customers- all of whom have been in Kalkan for many, many years? They are just hardworking people, trying to make a living out of Kalkan's tourist industry. I would presume that the balloon seller was predominantly trying to sell his wares to Turkish families, since many of the balloons had Turkish phrases on them. I also took no offence at all to a family sat in a corner of the bar- enjoying each other's company and that of the staff of the Moonlight Bar. They were hurting no one else and having some fun, which was totally harmless. They were not falling over drunk, they were not shouting obscenities and they were not being rude.

I do agree with you that Kalkan is changing- thankfully it seems much busier at the moment this July than this time last year. I enjoyed being sat at the Moonlight Bar watching happy families, of which many were Turkish tourists, strolling home at the end of the night. I hardly think the addition of a new street vendor to Kalkan is the start of it turning into a Turkish version of Blackpool.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Of course Kalkan is changing, its changed significantly from the Kalkan we first came to many years ago and yes not all those changes are for the better. However, we are all entitled to our opinion of how those changes might impact on future visits and I'm sorry you were appalled by a balloon seller henty0. I have to agree with mitch, I doubt I would be offended by a balloon seller or anyone inhaling balloon gas for fun...people laughing is infectious and I probably would have laughed too.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »
1. Guests proportions was changed. More turks, much more russians, less brits
2. Prices double or triple higher
3. Lot of cars, traffic jams everyday almost anytime
4. No dogs on the streets
5. Food quality in all restorants now drop down compare to 2007-2014.

Offline henty0

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
I don't have a problem with the locals trying to make a living and my family frequently buy, nuts, flowers etc but it was just the way the balloons were bought just to inhale the helium. Maybe I just see it differently, and I certainly wouldn't condone anyone having a good time, it just seemed a little out of character from what we are used too! Our children were laughing with everyone else. I guess I was just a little shocked.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
there is actually a real danger for children if they suffer from asthma ,    in fact a few fatalities occur every year  ="Helium itself is harmless.  The problem is that breathing only helium means that you're not getting oxygen  which results in an increase of carbon dioxide in your lungs  while sucking the Helium in to your lung " ,  not a problem for the short durations while having fun,  BUT  anyone with asthma  should think twice about participating .

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
Does the Balloon man wear heavy shoes?... lets hope if his business takes off he remains firmly on the ground as the balloon industry has suffered from inflation. 8) :angel:

just sayin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:19:50 AM by Blue Lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
 ;D ;D :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Changing money

Started by LozJay on Money & Finance

33 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 11:15:52 AM
by davidm
xx
Changing money

Started by HolmfirthNicky on Money & Finance

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 11:59:17 AM
by johnl
sad
Young Man Loitering by Changing Rooms

Started by paula09 on The Everything Else Area!

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 10:45:50 PM
by clara 50
xx
Tedaş charges when changing meter.

Started by Cuddles on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 10:22:57 PM
by Cuddles

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal