Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Championes In Town  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Championes In Town
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
After this weekend I couldn't think of a better title.
Right, up at 3 for a 4am taxi to Gatwick. Flew out in one of Thomas Cooks 757s, loads of legroom compared to previous flights, a decent flight but plenty of cloud even as we came in through the mountains to land from the inland direction. Loads of planes at Dalaman which was good to see but that meant pond lines at passport control but that must've been on piece work as the queues went through quite quickly and lo & behold our bags came off really quickly. No walking out of the terminal into an oven as it was quite overcast and there was the man from Dalaman Cars with my name held high. Lead us to a nice new Hyundai Blue diesel and all for £94 for the week, then came the bombshell, it was an automatic!! Not driven one for over 10 years but it didn't take long to get used to and even cruised up the mountain leading to the view we all love.
Unpacked and did a shopping run to Yali but didn't need much as the owners had arranged for a nice welcome pack, just soft toilet rolls for Janet & Efes for me 6.5TL a bottle, town seemed very busy when we went down.
Had a nice cuppa while I set up Kodi on the telly then shower ready for something to eat. Had a brief stroll around to see what's changed & what's new, popped down to see Ozay at MissSilver as Janet needed a bracelet mending, got a wave from Adem of Yildiz fame as he drove by, then up to our "always first night' place Alternatif, Mustapha always pleased to see you. I won't bore you with what we ate but it was delicious and still cheaper than eating out at home.
First thing in the morning it's down to the harbour to book a day on Yildiz then off to the market via our usual Calis Beach park & ferryboat experience.
I have added a new photo, will take some with my phone and add them over the week for you.
Championes, Championes, Olay,Olay Olay

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13707.0
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:45:25 PM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Championes In Town
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
Congrats to Portsmouth for getting back into the Championship as champions of Div 2 and avoiding the dreaded play-offs...is there anything crueler in football than this terrible money spinner?
Congrats also to the legendary shopper that is Janet for getting into Miss Silver on your first night...must try the broken bracelet ruse myself.
Looking forward to hearing all about your stay  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
It was one I bought her in there for our anniversary a couple of trips ago, she took it to a UK jewellers to get a link taken out and it broke a while later. She also popped into Belmas to look for a dress for my sons wedding, so guess we'll be having a revisit there at the weekend when some new stock arrives.
Here's a question, what was the name of the restaurant opposite Belmas? Began with an A but we couldn't remember it's name.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »
Agora?
I understand it had a name change last year but has gone back to Agora for 2017...not sure if Ewen (Chillies) is still there though.

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:31:23 PM »
Not Zulas?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »
League 2 .....League 1 next season.....do well there then poss the championship ;)
Who said romance was dead ? Bog roll for the Mrs ...Beer for Pompeyalbie ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:17:14 AM »
Agora that's it, his brother had the one on the corner where Asain Gate is now for a year or so.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:13:54 AM »
Did you get your Firestick working? in two minds deciding if to take mine due to uncertainty that it will work and the flaky wifi where we stay.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »
Hey, glad you arrived safe and sound, shame it was to clouds, but I'm sure the weather will be kind to you.

Pompeyalbie, when it comes to food, the word bored does not exist in my vocabulary so please feel free to describe in fine detail, the delicious feasts you enjoy. It also gives me an idea where I want to go and what I want to try on our next visit. Also makes me dribble in anticipation of Kalkan's delicious cuisine.  ;D

The restaurant you describe is most definitely Agora but didn't this change to Wapiano last year? We loved it there last year and went a few times. Guven told us that sadly the lady who owned it wasn't planning on opening this year which is such a shame as the food and atmosphere were fab. We saw Guven in passing this Easter but not sure where he is working. The restaurant was not open while we were there.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures and Janet's purchases. I'm in awe of her techniques.  ;) :D :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »
Pompeyalbie, what a pleasure to read your post, thank you so much, it has really put me in the holiday mood on this grey and dismal day at work! Yes Wapiano, what a lovely restaurant, the food was amazing last year, such a shame if it isn't opening for the season. What a bargain your car hire is too! Lucky you, booking Yildez, can't wait, usually have booked some up from home by now, must get on it I think!!

Enjoy your holiday, and look forward to reading more of your adventures, and yes I agree Lizzie, would love to hear also what culinary delights you sample  :D :D :D :D

J&B

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
What a div I am getting my football divs mixed up....women and football eh?
Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways, BL. Of course League One next year for Portsmouth which is the old Div 3.
Just noticed there's another thread on Agora...

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
I'ts cos your a girl...just sayin >:D >:D

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
BL got the Firestick working but it does buffer a lot due to slow broadband, another thing is FilmOnTV only plays for a few minutes due to changes in it so you need to find a Live TV addon which doesn't use FilmOnTV.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 08:53:01 PM »
For those of a gastronomic vent, last night we dined at Alternatif, for starters I had grilled goats chees on a bed of fried onions & aubergines with the usual green salad, Janet had her favourite cheese boreks. For mains I chose the Alternatif Feast which was a stack of fish including, grouper, swordfish, sea bass, mussels & a king prawn in a garlic & lemon sauce, Janet also had fish, Sea Bass fillets cooked in foil, we both enjoyed it and didn't have room for a sweet.
On to Tuesday, after my usual Kalkan breakfast on cheese, olives and a boiled egg we went down to the harbour to see if Adem or Osmon were around to try & book a day out but the weather was not good for the boats so they weren't going out. So back to the car and off to Fethiye via Calis Beach. Somehow I got suckered in to buying another pair of "pimp shoes", sort of 2 tone brown part leather, part suede brogues, they'll match the blue & brown ones I bought a couple of years ago.we had a mouth around and Janet got a couple of lace doilies then made our way back. Stopped in town to book for Sade tonight then I suggested a drink at Merkez but we never got that far as the shoe shop next door to Sade lured her in with a pair of sandals. At Merkez we enjoyed the "Health & Saftey Show" being performed at Paprika, they were putting in new decking but it wasn't right so they were making adjustments with an angle grinder using sheets of car board to protect them from the sparks but that wouldn't have protected his flip flop covered feet. Next came the welding and drilling, loads of locals were on hand to offer advice.
Next stop was another trip to the harbour but someone got lured in to Gozs by some nice frames for her reading glasses. Still no boat trip booked so it looks like another visit in the morning.
Dinner tonight was at Sade another of our regular haunts, we both decided to skip starters and go mains & sweet tonight. Having both had fish last night Janet went for their chicken curry as it didn't contain garlic, her nemesis, and I went for the Sade Special Chicken which is chicken stuffed with spinach & feta cheese. For sweets I had my Sade favourite fried ice cream while Janet opted for mango panacotte with a summer fruits topping. I feel stuffed.
Not got a clue what we will do tomorrow but hope the sun comes out as I've not had my sunglasses on yet. It is getting a bit windy as the satellite dish on the roof is creaking.
2 close shaves on the road today, firstly at Calis a tortoise crossing the road then on the way back a chicken who couldn't make up his mind whether to cross or not.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:16:10 PM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
What a shame about the weather...early May can be very unpredictable (and cool :(). Looks like its set to improve so you'll have those sunnies on before you know it.
Love watching Turkish workmen in full flow and how everyone else joins in with their two penneth......and nine times of ten the small half hour job turns into major one. At least you could watch from the relative comfort of Merkez.
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay when you have the chance.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
The sun came out with a vengeance today, just as you'd expect. We had a lazy day, went down the harbour and booked on Yildiz for tomorrow, had a look in a couple of shops then popped over to Adams to deliver some seeds & book for tonight. Came back to apartment & sat on the roof balcony or by the pool reading until I noticed I was getting a bit over pink and came inside listening to Hampshire tonk Somerset at cricket via my IPad.
Adam picked us up by Bobs Restaurant and we had the place to ourselves, his daughter, Samira is home so us doing the cooking to give his wife a rest. We shared a meze starter as it is too much for one person, it is huge, I don't know why they give me a menu, in all the times we've been I've only had 2 different mains, lamb shank or black & white steaks, I love them both. Because they are slow cooked you normally have to give Adam notice about the lamb shank but he knows me too well. I opted for it because it just falls off the bone and is delicious, best ones in the world (IMHO). Janet opted for the moussaka as she enjoys that and it has no garlic in it. 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 wines, 2 beers plus a drink for Adam & Samira less than £40 and that also includes transport there & back. I love that family.
Tomorrow I'll be factored up with sun tan lotion on the boat as I reckon it is going to be another hot one.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Sounds like a perfect couple of days to me. We must try and get to Adams this summer as we missed going last month. No reason other than we just didn't get chance. I love going for lunch and just gazing at that view towards Kas and Meis. A real feel good feeling and Adem and his family are so sweet and welcoming.

Enjoy your boat trip today. More delicious food to savour and lots of lazing about to look forward to. Sounds like heaven to me.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
A moussaka without garlic...? Is there such a thing?
Glad the weather has improved for you, don't overdo the sun thing and enjoy your trip with whichever Yildiz brother you are sailing with today.
Looks like you are staying in Kisla again this year - do you think you'd stay here without a car?

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »
Pompeyalbie so glad the sun is out! and am very envious of you on Yildez as I type this, but hoping your having a wonderful day, and imagine you are probably eating the delicious food now too along with the amazing chips they manage to prepare on their boats.  Your post has really put me in the holiday mode, Adem's is one of our favourites too, we have sampled the lamb shanks and the black and white steaks, but not moussaka, my favourite there is the shrimp casserole, one of the best!

Hope you are well factored up in the sunshine.  Just wondering whether it is warm enough to swim in the sea? Look forward to hearing all about it.

J&B

:D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »
The sun came out with a vengeance today, just as you'd expect. We had a lazy day, went down the harbour and booked on Yildiz for tomorrow, had a look in a couple of shops then popped over to Adams to deliver some seeds & book for tonight. Came back to apartment & sat on the roof balcony or by the pool reading until I noticed I was getting a bit over pink and came inside listening to Hampshire tonk Somerset at cricket via my IPad.
Adam picked us up by Bobs Restaurant and we had the place to ourselves, his daughter, Samira is home so us doing the cooking to give his wife a rest. We shared a meze starter as it is too much for one person, it is huge, I don't know why they give me a menu, in all the times we've been I've only had 2 different mains, lamb shank or black & white steaks, I love them both. Because they are slow cooked you normally have to give Adam notice about the lamb shank but he knows me too well. I opted for it because it just falls off the bone and is delicious, best ones in the world (IMHO). Janet opted for the moussaka as she enjoys that and it has no garlic in it. 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 wines, 2 beers plus a drink for Adam & Samira less than £40 and that also includes transport there & back. I love that family.
Tomorrow I'll be factored up with sun tan lotion on the boat as I reckon it is going to be another hot one.

I think we may have spoken briefly! You were on Yildiz 3?? I was in the water (swimming from Pina X).

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbdown
old town

Started by michelle from newcastle on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 05:40:27 PM
by michelle from newcastle
xx
Old Town

Started by cucukhanim on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 10:28:34 AM
by cucukhanim
xx
Town beach

Started by Potter on The Everything Else Area!

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 08:48:30 PM
by misty
xx
first venture into town

Started by chickengeorge on Holiday Reports and Reviews

0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 04:00:28 PM
by chickengeorge

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal