Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!  (Read 72193 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »
Blimey!! a Mozzie buster! they are about as rare as rocking horse poo this year never saw one  during our holiday or the the men with back pack sprayers  our ex pat friends said they had hardly been around this year...we did meet quite a few people who were bitten this year despite taking the precautions of deet /kov etc ourselves included >:(
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
We've seen a lot of mozzie spraying activity this week. Touch wood neither of us has been bitten although we did see one lady whose legs were covered in bites.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
Akdeniz used to be Alternatif.

Different owner as far as I know, but then what do I know? ;D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »
I thought that it was but my memory isn't quite as good as it used to be. Have Alternatif relocated? I seem to recall that it was a family owned business that professed to be 200 years old?

Offline Now retired

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
Alternatif have relocated to above Utopia Bar.
Same family just different location.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »
Oh Keith it sounds as if you are getting nice and relaxed now.........

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 09:44:33 AM »
Where did that week go? It only seems like yesterday that I was struggling to pack the suitcases in the overbearing heat in the UK. Yesterday was yet another relaxing day spent around the villa and I was extremely careful to keep myself in the various shaded areas. I'm keen to keep my legs out of direct sunlight especially as the rash doesn't look quite as bad today. It's quite amazing how quickly the hours fly past even when you're being completely lazy. The only 'chores to be done is collecting the rubbish together (not too much of that as there's only the two of us) and washing up the coffee cups and two wine glasses.

Normal routine follows and we prepare ourselves for a walk into town and an evening meal. We decide to give Bezirgans a miss tonight and instead amble down to Moonlights. Martin tells us that business has been quite slow so far this year and a lady at an adjoining table informs him that she is staying at the Kalkan Recency and that the hotel is only about 50% occupied. Efes and G&T's finished we agree that we would eat at Olive Garden.

As we climb the stairs to the first floor we are given a warm welcome and asked whether we wanted to go up to the roof terrace. As always we decline the offer as we prefer the less crowded 1st floor terrace. There is a steady stream of customers who all make their way up the spiral staircase to the roof. Tracey and I have the whole of the first floor to ourselves. We are served  with the complimentary olives and Olive bread and order the mixed cold meze for our starter. We are already starting to feel full and We've still got our mains to come. The meze was accompanied by two shots of raki. Tracey wasn't too keen on drinking her shot and so it was left to me to sink them both. We struggled to eat all of the main courses but, with true grit and determination, we eventually cleared the plates. I feel as though I am going to explode when the waiter appears with yet more food by way of a complimentary dessert. This included a large slice of vanilla cheesecake, a bowl of ice cream, a slab of lemon drizzle cake, dough balls with chocolate sauce, Turkish delight and almond liqueurs. It would be rude not to eat it and so we force ourselves to take on yet more calories. We manage to eat everything with the exception of the dough balls.

The waiter explains that they have suffered a downturn in clientele and that tonight has been busier than yesterday. Although there are a lot of Turkish people in town they don't appear to be going into the restaurants. Like everyone else I sincerely hope that business will pick up.

Keith can........eat to excess.........in Kalkan

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
My earlier reply wasn't very clear was it?

I blame the withdrawal of various liquid refreshments on return to the UK!

What I meant was:

Alternatif has moved from the bend near the mosque (and close to Adda Tours) to above Utopia, still run (as nowretired says) by Mustafa and Co.;

Akdeniz has taken Mustafa's old Alternatif site (where were they before? - never been to Akdeniz, but I'll bet someone knows).

Maybe we should have a "where are they this year" Competition - no cribbing on KTLN's What's New Items, either!

Is that sun above the Yardarm yet?…

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
That's one of the joys of Kalkan.........things change from year to year and so there's always something new to see or a new restaurant to try out. The sun is definitely above the Garden and I've ensured to take on plenty of fluids.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »
I hate predictive text!!!!

Offline lucasvdb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Mustafa told me his brother is running the 'old' Alternatif.

Guess their surname: Akdeniz

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »
Akdeniz restaurant used to be behind the taxi rank, back of Foto pizza. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:14 PM »
Great reports, keith. Surprised we havent bumped into you at Moonlight!
From our vantage point in there tonight we noticed a young boy running down to Akdeniz with two bottles of wine...he was running so fast we were fearful he would fall...guess the same applies to wine there too....
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
Another glorious morning in Kalkan........beautiful blue sky with not a cloud in sight. Our villa maintenance man Ali informs us that the temperature is set to soar this week and could get as high as 45C. Not too sure whether or not he is winding us up but,  we can definitely feel that it is getting hotter, day by day. We slept a little later today as we are planning to have a walk into town for lunch and a bit of retail therapy. Tracey hasn't managed to find a bag to match the quality of the one that she had seen in Kas and I suspect that we will be visiting a few bag shops today. We'll also be starting the search for a few gifts for family and friends.

Yesterday was yet another quiet day around the villa enjoying ice cold Efes and wine. One thing that we have noticed is there seems to be an ever increasing choice in the number of wines available. On our first visit there was much less to choose from. Angora is not really to my taste and I much prefer a nice Sauvignon Blanc or Shiraz. Thankfully these and other varietys are readily available.

We headed down to Moonlights at 7.00pm to enjoy pre-dinner drinks. There isn't as many people drinking there as on previous nights. Considering that everyone is talking about the downturn in visitor numbers we  get the distinct impression that the greeters at the various restaurants are less intrusive. We haven't experienced anyone being overly pushy and, if anything, there is a lot more humorous banter.

Suitably refreshed we set off towards the harbour. We are undecided where to eat and just wander down perusing the various menus. After some deliberation we feel that we ought to give Sunset a try. We admire (and sometimes dislike) his efforts to drum up business but he does put in the leg work and exerts a real enthusiasm for his restaurant. As we take our seats we cannot help but notice that Seaport and Korsan look very busy but not much activity at Kaptans. There is just a table of 8 plus us at Sunset. We both opted for calamari for our starters with courgette fritters and lamb kebabs for mains. We love this view overlooking the harbour and beach and feel that the new development, following the fire, enhances this part of town. Once the works have been completed it will, in our opinion, improve the aesthetics.

After yet another enjoyable meal we head off back through town to pick up a couple of bottles of wine from the off licence next to Bezirgans. We had called in there earlier in the evening and he had very kindly placed the wine in his chiller to ensure that it was at the perfect temperature for drinking. We don't take any persuading and head back to the villa to enjoy a bottle of this golden nectar.

Keith can........enjoy a wider choice of wines..........in Kalkan

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
The best-laid plans of mice and men.............

Well it had been our intention to have an early start to the day and head on down to the beach before embarking on some well deserved retail therapy. There's something about Kalkan that draws you into the realms of a relaxed almost hypnotic state state of mind and, before we knew it, three hours had elapsed. We decide that it is probably too late to secure a nice spot on the beach (it has been extremely busy with Turkish families enjoying their national holiday) and we agree that we will walk down at lunchtime.

We both knew that it was going to be a hot and sticky trek but we also recognised that this would be the last opportunity before the temperature really takes off. With this in mind we get ourselves ready and start the descent down to the harbour. We take the steps at the front of Chocolates as this at least provides a bit of shade. As we continue down the hill we can feel the full strength of the sun and are extremely grateful as we find a bit of shade as we turn to walk along the sea front. We continue walking until we get to Kleos and take a table adjacent to the beach. As we sit down I can see that Tracey is already feeling the affects of the heat and she reaches for her fan. One of the waiters takes our drinks order and, almost immediately, another waiter appears and recommends that we move to the shaded and cooler area in the main bar. This was a much more sensible idea and we were soon cooling off in front of one of their large fans. We sat and enjoyed our thirst quenching drinks before ordering lunch. As we were sat enjoying our meal the bin lorry came trundling down the road. This was the signal for 4 or 5 dogs to start barking and chase after it. The bin men were kicking out their legs in a vain effort to put the dogs off and waiters were scurrying about trying to bring the dogs under control. I have to say that it was a very amusing sight!!

Lunch consumed we take the new bit of road that leads up to Kaptans and I stop to take a small video clip of the panoramic view. This a great vantage point for capturing the beach, harbour and Mouse Island. Video taken we take a route back up into town trying to find as much shade as we can. We are both starting to perspire and agree that it is too uncomfortable to trape in and out of the shops. We continue walking until we get to Bezirgans and slip into the shade for a cooling G&T. Tracey is still feeling uncomfortable and we agree to head back to the villa. As we arrive we notice a couple looking up and pointing at the villa. We exchange pleasantries and they explain that they have been coming to Kalkan for the past 30 years and have always admired this particular villa. It's not long that we realise that they had never had an opportunity to venture inside and so we extend an invitation to show them around. Needless to say they are delighted at what they see and, having turned down the offer of a cool drink, they head back to their apartment. From their expressions I suspect that they may consider renting a villa on one of their future visits.

As Tracey cools off I decide that  I will head back to town for a haircut and to pick up essential provisions, namely tonic water and crisps. My barber of choice is Trends (next door to Bezirgans). They were recommended to me on a previous visit. They do a good job at a decent price and have the added benefit of air conditioning. As I take my seat there is a young boy of about two or three sweeping the hair off the floor. They definitely have good work ethics here........I can't imagine someone so young wielding a broom in England and making a decent job of it.

Feeling slightly lighter and with not too many white bits showing I set off to look for the new patisserie  that we have seen advertised on Facebook. I start ascending the hill up towards the market but, not having any joy and starting to feel extremely hot and sweaty, decide to call off my search. Instead I call into the supermarket for the essential tonic water and walk down to the patisserie along the Kalamar Road; just past Chillies. They do a great range of pastries and cakes but, alas, they have sold out of vanilla cheesecake. I settle for two slices each of orange and chocolate cheesecake and head home to share my treats.

After a refreshing shower we settle down for an evening of G&T's and cheesecake.

Keith can......enjoy quality time with his wife of 32 years.......in Kalkan

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »
So you never did make it to the beach Keith? I love your last line.......we have been married almost 38 years, will celebrate our anniversary in kalkan in October and I can honestly say the best quality time we spend is on holiday, particularly kalkan as we are just so chilled, away from work, real life etc.!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
There isn't too much to say about yesterday. We spent yet another day lazing around the villa and pool....it is such an idealic location and I never tire of watching the boats coming and going across the bay. The temperature continues to rise and the cooling breeze appears to have deserted us.

Yesterday evening we, once again, had pre-dinner drinks at Moonlight. Regular readers may have noticed that we haven't frequented Bezirgans as often as we used to. The barman that we like doesn't appear to be there most days and It's just not the same without him. Drinks consumed we continue into Town for our evening meal. We were persuaded to book a table at Escudo tonight so yet another new restaurant for us to try out. I have to say that the rooftop terrace didn't offer much of a view compared to most other restaurants but it is ideal if you like to spend your time inspecting red pantile roof tiles. I had the mixed borek for starters (Tracey decided to just have a main). As you appreciate there is always too much to eat and it becomes even more of a struggle in the hot and humid weather. Tracey opted for the Ottaman meatballs for her main and I had chicken stir fry (nothing like what you would get from a Chinese restaurant and more like a stew). I have to say that both dishes were delicious.

We decide that it is too hot to walk about and instead head back to the villa to enjoy a bottle of wine on the roof terrace. The lazer lights seemed to have multiplied in number......last week there were just 4......now there are 10. They're not particularly bright (my dog walking torch is probably brighter) but I do find them quite irritating as they pollute the night sky. I can't for a moment believe that they add any tangible benefits to the club's where they enimate from.

Keith can........get frustrated at the lazer lights.......in Kalkan

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Keith another fabulous read, thank you, and I would have definitely settled for the chocolate and orange cheesecake!  :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »
Why have I never thought of going to the patisserie before  ??? I definitely fancy that idea and will go down well with a swig of the freshly brewed coffee from our lovely underneath neighbours soon  ;)

Hope you are well protected from the coming heatwave keith. I believe it's a scorcher right now in Kalkan.  8)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »
Lizilu........you will definitely enjoy the various pastries availableb from the patisserie. The cakes look heavenly but are too big for just the two of us.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
Kalkan has a 2nd web cam

Started by onelove on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 11:24:36 AM
by kevincat99
xx
Kalkan x7

Started by marmitegirl on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 09:17:24 PM
by Bob & Jayne

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

View from Guru's

Views: 3734
By: jinfizzz
Belgin's Kitchen 1992