Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!  (Read 73177 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Keith can..........in Kalkan!!
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
Happy belated birthday Keith. Sounds like the the celebrations continued and you're well and truly back in Kalkan mode.  :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
I'm still experiencing a few problems with the WiFi...........it isn't as reliable as normal and there's only a few spots in the villa where I can get a reliable connection.

Wednesday was another relaxing day by the pool. There's wall to wall sunshine and a lovely cooling breeze and I am able to make the most of this glorious weather, unlike on our previous trip, when the heat was overbearing. We make the most of the day before preparing ourselves for the now standard ritual of pre-dinner drinks at Bezirgans. Whilst sipping the thirst quenching amber nectar that is Efes, we decide that we will eat at Authentic this evening. There is an opportunity to call in and see Ibo at Kaptan glasses and he greets us like long lost relatives. We enjoy some humerous banter and he explains that he will be able to sell prescription lenses from next year. He has such a positive attitude and I'm pleased that his recent troubles haven't dampened his enthusiasm or sense of fun. Dinner was enjoyable with Nemo being very sociable and attentive. This is a fun corner in Kalkan with the bag shop owner joining in the fun.

We set off back to the villa for a refreshing tipple or two on the roof terrace. The 'laser' lights are dancing across the sky and, as stated in a previous post, take away some of the pleasure of our star gazing.

We are up bright and early and I decide that I will go for a haircut at Trend barbers. A short walk into town and I am soon sat in my chair. I am offered a shave and, before I know it, I have agreed to have the cut throat treatment. My face is plastered in foam and the barber sets about his work like a less bladed Edward Scissorhands. I daren't move as the sharp blade glides across my skin. Needless to say I survived the shave and it was time for my haircut, hair wash and head and face massage. All in all I was sat in the chair for about an hour and all for the bargain price of 50tl.

I picked up a few more provisions (mainly alcohol) and set off back to the villa. Tortoiselady has invited us for a drink at Yellow Villa and we shower and get ready to walk up to her place. What a warm, friendly and hospitable lady she is. Her villa is idyllic with glorious views, masses of space and plenty of privacy. The property is a traditional Turkish house and the layout, fixtures and fittings offer a more rustic and charming holiday experience. As we get ready to leave we are given a large jar of homemade olives and a bottle of olive oil. Having sampled the olives with the snacks that we had been given, I can honestly say that they are probably the best that I have eaten. Thank you Tortoiselady for offering us an opportunity to visit your beautiful property and for your generous hospitality.

Keith can.........finally meet up with a forum member.......in Kalkan 

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
It's amazing how quickly time flies by when your busy doing nothing but relaxing and soaking up the sun's rays. Friday was much the same as the other days, waking before sunrise and waiting for the sun to peek over the hillside. The view across the bay is as idyllic as always and the coolness of the early morning is so refreshing. As the sun rises in the sky you are suddenly bathed in It's warmth and you realise that you are in for another glorious day with not a cloud in the sky.

Despite our best intentions we don't manage to pull ourselves away from the poolside and spend yet another day without leaving the villa. It is amazing how many people stop and admire this property and, for the second day in a row, invite a couple in to have a look round. Everyone that comes in seems genuinely impressed with It's prime location and facilities and I'm starting to think that I should be charging a commission. Of course, the danger of showing people around is the risk that we may not be able to secure our preferred dates in 2018. Fingers crossed that we will be fine.

We go through our daily ritual of getting ready for a stroll down to Bezirgans for pre-dinner drinks. We are obviously becoming quite familier as we don't even need to order drinks and our favourite beverages just appear at our table. Tracey comments that we haven't seen Tukka (The black and white puppy that had been so lively on our last visit in June) and she asks the barman. We were quite upset to hear that the puppy had some sort of problem with It's stomach and that it had to be put to sleep. This news put a bit of a dampener on our mood but we were soon back to our normal cheery selves when we noticed the latest addition at Trends. It is the tiniest and most playful little kitten that can almost fit in the palm of a hand.

Drinks consumed we head of down the hill to settle up on our transfer charges. Payment made we continue walking through Town and choose to eat at Mey & Meze. This is our first visit to this restaurant and we notice that there are a lot of Turkish people dining there. As you would expect the food was lovely and the service unhurried. This was just right for us as we like to have a break between our starters and main course. The Sauvignon Blanc was delightful and the overall bill very reasonable.

We headed back up the hill and home to our villa. Suffice to say we've enjoyed another fabulous day in Kalkan and head up to the roof terrace for a nice cold G&T. Our son is joining us late this evening and I can tell that Tracey is looking forward to his arrival. She does tend to worry though and I expect that it will be a long day as we await his safe delivery at the villa.

Keith can.........look forward to seeing one of his sons.................in Kalkan

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
Saturday morning arrived and we were up early enjoying a refreshing cup of coffee on the balcony. There are a few boats setting out from the harbour and I never tire of this view. As expected Tracey is already excited by the prospect that Luke should be with us late this evening. The first few hours of the day pass in a flash and we agree that we should go and get some additional bits and pieces to ensure that the fridge is stocked for our son's arrival. We also need to change some money and are pleased that the exchange rate is now 4.5tl to the pound.

We head off up to Kipas and stock up on the groceries and alcoholic beverages that we need. We then call in at the pattiserie on Kalamar Road and enjoy a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, before purchasing Luke's favourite baklava. As we head off back to the villa we have a look at the menu at Moonlights family restaurant (Tortoiselady had recommended that we have lunch there one day) and we will most definitely give it a try. Back at the villa we receive the news that Luke's friend has dropped him off at Stansted and he is all set for his Easy jet flight which is scheduled to depart at 3.35pm UK time.

Luke called again just after 3.00pm to say that, due to congestion at Dalaman, his flight had been delayed for an hour or so. Tracey was not happy at hearing this news as it would now mean that he wouldn't arrive in Kalkan until 12.45am on Sunday morning. She was also concerned that his airport transfer might go wrong. I reassured her that this type of delay is not unusual and that Club Lycia would not let us down.

Having resigned ourselves to the fact that we were in for a late night we get ourselves ready and set off to Bezirgans  for our customary pre-dinner drinks. As we sat watching the world go by a young Turkish couple suddenly appeared and started to sing and dance. I have to confess that it wasn't even up to some of the worst X Factor performances that I have seen and it was rather comical. We have a few more drinks than normal and are not feeling particularly hungry. It was always our intention to get Luke a pizza for when he arrived and we decide that we will have one for our supper. We call into the wine shop for some additional bottles of Efes and wine and are given a present of a cool bag which is the ideal size for a pack of 4 beers. Everyone is referring to me as Bubba tonight which I understand means brother. Provisions acquired we cross the road and call in at Foto pizza. Two large mixed pizzas are freshly prepared and we set off home.

We eventually hear that Luke has landed and has found his transport and so I indulge in a cool G&T as I sit and wait his arrival. He eventually gets to the villa at 12.50am and you can see the relief on Tracey's face.

Keith can...........finally go to bed........in Kalkan

Offline monthehoops

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2017, 03:05:33 PM »
Keith, most likely you are being addressed as "baba" which literally means 'father". It is used as a mark of respect and endearment by Turkish men to older and wiser men, eg "Keith baba". "Bubba" meaning "brother" is slang which originated in the southern states of the USA.
Keith can... be treated with respect... in Kalkan

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
When they call you "abi" , as in Merhaba, Keith abi, they calling you brother.
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
Wow thanks for a fab catch up Keith. I'm glad your son arrived safely, such a relief for you both. It was like a treat to read a few days all together tonight.

I've heard about tortioselady's amazing olives from Bob and Jayne and been lucky enough to sample some too. Delicious.

Wish we were in kalkan right now.  :)

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
I am quite surprised that, even though we had a late night, we are still up bright and early on Sunday morning. There is something magical about this place that makes you want to savour every minute of your time here. You can't enjoy the views while you are asleep and the lure of the morning sun seems to call us from our slumber.

Luke is a very keen swimmer and he is soon floating around in the pool. He has this incredible ability where he can just float on his back, and remain in the same spot, without the use of any flotation aids. This never ceases to amaze me as I am nowhere near as adept.

The morning passes in the blink of an eye and Luke and I are planning to watch the football/formula 1 at Bezirgans. Luke supports Arsenal and they are playing Chelsea today. I would much prefer to watch the grand prix. A little before 3.00pm we take the short walk into Town and pick our vantage point at Bezirgans. It's really nice spending time with Luke as we rarely get the time when we are in England. It is extremely hot today and the cool Efes do their job.

A couple of hours and a few Efes later we meander back to the villa to get showered and changed ready for dinner. Normal procedure follows and we are soon back at Bezirgans enjoying pre-dinner drinks. We then stroll down to Alternatifs where we have booked a table. I am a little bit disappointed that spot that we had reserved wasn't available and we are seated at a different table. The food was its normal high standard and Luke was really impressed with his marble steak and rice pudding dessert. I personally didn't think that the service was as good tonight but, this was probably because they were extremely busy and were finding it difficult to cope.

Meal consumed and we call in at Club Lycia to book our trip to Meis. We are planning to go on Wednesday and are informed that we will need to catch the transport at 08.10hrs. Excursion booked we can now look forward to our first trip to Greece. We set off back to the villa and our customary G&T on the roof terrace. Probably not quite as romantic with our son joining us but a different dynamic and conversation.

Keith can.........never tire of his time...........in Kalkan

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
Keith just catching up on EK, and how lovely reading your last 3 reports, sounds like you are having such a fabulous time. So glad Luke arrived safely, I know how Tracey feels, I remember the year before last waiting for my daughter to arrive at 5am in the morning, was I so relieved to hear her transfer car pull up outside our apartment!

Yellow Villa is beautiful isn't it, you summed it up so well, we spent a lovely couple of hours with Tortoiselady last year at Yellow Villa, and enjoyed sampling her olives and olive oil too! Sadly, our holidays didn't cross over this year. 

I can't wait to read about your trip to Meis, I can guarantee you will love it, and if you like king prawns go to Athena for lunch on the harbour, they serve the most amazing garlic prawns I've ever eaten! and you can turtle watch too! Don't forget your passport though!  :D :D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2017, 11:45:38 AM »
Thanks Bob and Jayne. The garlic prawns sound delicious  and so we will give Athena a try. One week of the holiday has already gone but the weather is glorious and we're loving every minute.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »
Oh Keith appetite and whetted comes to mind. Two weeks today we will be sitting in Birmingham Airport waiting for our Monarch flight to Dalaman and then our beloved Kalkan. Love your reports and we have a lovely three weeks to spend at our favourite apartment and for the first time we'll be there for the swim.
Love Meiss so enjoy I'm sure that you will.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Not long now then Joycie, how exciting  :D :D

Keith, I have Kalkan and Meis blues today after reading all of this! Enjoy your prawns  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
I probably spoke too soon when describing the glorious weather!! On Monday and Tuesday the skys were full of dark threatening clouds and the top of the mountain was completely obscured from sight. The air is heavy and humid and, whilst you could enjoy being outdoors, it just isn't the same. Even Mouse and Snake islands are shrouded in a foggy haze.

Luke and I go to collect fresh provisions and he can't quite believe how cheap the greengrocers store is. We take a walk further up the hill to the bakery and stock up with more baklava. It's the first time I've visited the bakers and the various breads and rolls look much more inviting to eat, rather than the more basic loaves found in most stores. I make a mental note that I will purchase my bread from here in future. We head back to the villa in need of a cooling drink having endured the hot sticky climate. We decide that we will eat at Akins on Monday night and after pre-dinner drinks we head off down the hill, opposite Moonlight, and I introduce Luke to Mustafa at Authentics and Ibo at Kaptan glasses. Luke is looking to buy some prescription sun glasses and we spend half an hour with him trying on various frames. He can't quite make up his mind and so we take the few short steps to Akins. I don't know whether It's the heat or one too many drinks but none of us are particularly hungry and I struggle to finish my meal. We head back to villa and our customary drink on the roof terrace.

As Tuesday was another grey humid day we agree that we would walk down to the harbour for lunch. We stop and peruse the various shops before taking a slow walk down to Kleos.  Lunch and beverages consumed we walk along the shaded area at the back of the beach before ambling past the restaurants along the harbour and out to the lighthouse. We then set off back up cardiac hill and into Bezirgans for a well deserved drink. We are planning to eat at the villa this evening (obviously no cooking involved) as we will be getting picked up at 08.00am for our day out to Meis.

Watch this space for an update on our Meismerising day in the picture perfect Greek Island.

Keith can..........look forward to his first real excursion whilst...........in Kalkan

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
We were up even earlier than normal yesterday morning as we were all really looking forward to our day out. Coffee consumed and showers done we awaited the arrival of our Club Lydia transport to Kas. As per normal our friendly driver was punctual and we drove off to pick up two other passengers. These were a very nice Turkish couple and, despite the language barrier, we managed to achieve some semblance of a conversation. The coast road to Kas provides some breathtaking scenery and our driver stops at Kaputas beach to enable Luke to take some photographs. We continue our journey around the twisting coastal road and very soon arrived at Kas. We are ushered to the ferry office where we hand over our passports. There is then ample time to stroll through the side streets and savour a coffee before mustering for the short walk to the ferry. As we queue to embark you can't help but feel that it is a bit like being back in primary school as the names are called out one at a time and, when my name is called, I'm tempted to say "here sir". We head up to the top deck and I take a prime position next to the wheelhouse. The crossing is very smooth and the sea breeze is so refreshing. As you get closer to the island the view is breathtaking and you can appreciate why other forum members recommend this day out. The quaint houses are painted in various pastel colours and the boats that line the harbour are equally as colourful.

As we dock at the quayside there is yet more queuing as the Greek authorities check everyone's passport. We are soon on our way and set off around the harbour in our quest to find Athina restaurant. This is where Bob and Jayne had recommended the king prawns on a bed of garlic sauce. As we made our way around we were invited to watch a man feeding the giant turtles by hand. This truly is a wonderful experience and we grab a table and watch four or five turtles vying for the best position. It is soon apparent that the largest turtle is in charge and he soon repels any of the others encroaching on his patch.
Unbeknown to us we were in fact at Athina's restaurant and it is the proprietor that has been feeding the turtles. Luke manages to capture some excellent photos and video images.

After an hour or so we feel that we need to make the most of our day and set off to explore the side streets.Everywhere you look there is some stunning architecture and even the more dilapidated buildings ooze charm. Luke and I are keen to get the small motor launch and take the sea trip out to blue cave but we are informed that, due to the sea conditions and high tide, it was not possible to navigate into the cave. It is suggested that, if we book the boat for 2.00pm there is a 90% chance of getting inside. We agree that this is the better option and make our booking. We then stroll back to Athina's and sample the garlic king prawns (believe you me I've never seen such large prawns), calamari and a tuna salad all washed down with a cool Greek beer. This has to be one of the best lunches we have tried as everything was so scrummy. Whilst eating our lunch the turtles keep on making an appearance and this is a wonderful and magical experience.

After lunch we stroll back to the motor launch ready for our trip to blue cave. I'm absolutely amazed and delighted that Tracey has agreed to come on the boat as she doesn't normally enjoy being on the water. All aboard and the Captain is soon picking up speed with the roar of the outboard motor like music to my rears. The journey is longer and quite bumpy in the small boat but the scenery and views makes it all worthwhile. As we approach the 'entrance' to the cave it quite difficult to see and I question whether or not the boat could possibly get in there. My question is soon answered when another boat disappears into the cliff face. I can see that Tracey would prefer to be in another place right now but, It's too late to turn back, and the Captain ushers us into position to balance out the boat and to ensure that our heads were below the edge. This meant us all lying on the floor as the engine revved up and the Captain waited his moment to navigate into the cave. There's something quite frightening yet thrilling when your head is just inches from the rock. Once inside the cavern you can see immediately why it is called the blue cave. The sun's reflection gives the water a brilliant turquoise colour. We spend some time taking in this beautiful place before the Captain prepares us to manoeuvre back under the cliff face. He is a bit concerned that the sea swell is unpredictable but with a rev of the engine manages to get us back out.

The journey back to Meis is even more bumpy and we are all soon covered in the sea spray. Tracey enjoyed the trip and I'm now hopeful that we can try similar excursions in the future. Back in Meis we enjoy a refreshing glass of beer and it is soon time to head back to the ferry. Just time to call in at the duty free shop before going through passport control and back onto the ferry. We were soon back in Kas, collected our passports, and set off for Kalkan. We arrive back at the villa a little after six, enjoy refreshing showers, before walking down to Bezirgans for pre-dinner drinks. It is here that we are approached by Tracy's partner who enquires whether or not we are Tracey, Keith and Luke. It transpires that they are avid readers of this forum and she had sensed that it was us. It's quite uncanny that she knows some much about us and our holiday. It was lovely to meet them and I'm sure that we will bump into each other again.

Keith can.........have an aMEISing day out in Meis whilst...........in Kalkan

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
Keith, thank you so much for sharing your trip to Meis with us, I have just read it and feel like we are back there. Absolutely fabulous day out isn't it, and so glad you sampled the king prawns and fed the turtles! Tracey is very brave, we went to the cave last year, and the tide was very high, and I sadly wasn't brave enough to attempt it! but the photos do look amazing inside that cave! So glad you had a wonderful day and also glad you have found the bakery in Kalkan, another good find!  :D :D

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2017, 08:03:01 PM »
I love Meiss when the Greek ferry comes in and you think it's never going to fit into the harbour. It does of course and the amount of stuff that comes off it and goes onto it makes you wonder where it comes from and where it's going.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »
Tonight Keith did a runner from Kaya restaurant for an early night but we had a lovely chat with his wife and son.

SOO Keith did not chat to Pam and Ian in Kalkan ! ;D

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
I forgot to say that if you are planning a day out in Meis you are best advised to take euros. We had Turkish lira and pounds Stirling but, most of the proprietors wanted to be paid in euros. It wasn't too much of a problem as we were able to exchange money at the bank.

On our return from Meis we went back to the villa to get ready for a night out. Pre-dinner drinks at Berzigans (where me met Tracy and her partner) and then a short walk down to Mussakka. Having already consumed a very sizeable lunch we all decided to settle for just a main course. The restaurant was really busy and it's good to see that most businesses seem pleased with the upturn in tourists.

We take a leisurely stroll back to the villa and enjoy a mouth quenching G&T on the roof terrace. We are all feeling a little tired and opt for a fairly early night. Unusually for me I have a restless night and am not feeling very well. I suspect that I have had too much sun today.

We are all up bright and early but I am not feeling my normal self. We decide that we will spend the day at the villa and that I will avoid too much exposure to the sun. Luke and Tracey enjoy messing around in the pool and I send myself off to bed. When I awake from my slumber I'm still feeling a bit rough but get myself ready to go out for drinks and dinner. We follow our normal routine and stop off at Bezirgans for a couple of beers and, because I'm still feeling under the weather we opt to go to Kaya for our evening meal.

Luke opted for the special of the day - goat stew and he said that it was delicious. I went for a plain option of chicken skewers. We all tried a gin with pomegranate juice and this was very tasty. I am struggling to eat much of my dinner and, leaving Tracey and Luke, I return to the villa. When they eventually returned they informed me that they had enjoyed a conversation with Pam & Ian and I am disappointed that I hadn't managed to stay the course. Just for the record I didn't do a runner but, being unwell, I didn't want to ruin Tracey & Luke's night out. I'm hoping that I will be back in top form tomorrow and able to enjoy the last few days of our holiday.

Keith can......miss out on meeting Pam & Ian........in Kalkan

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
Hope you are feeling better :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Keith hope that you are feeling better today and can enjoy your day in the sun!  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
New to Kalkan

Started by Bri on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 09:06:36 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Not been to Kalkan before

Started by Hampo12 on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 06:55:27 PM
by Irene

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal