Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Secret Kalkan Diary of Lizilu20 - 2 Irresponsible Adults at Easter!  (Read 12486 times)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Wednesday 19.04.17

Hope you are all enjoying the last of the Easter break or are settling back into work. All too soon the end of our holiday is looming and it will be us having to get our heads around packing and preparing for counting down the days again until our next Kalkan fix. Meanwhile we are still here and still savouring every minute.

Yesterday was absolutely glorious. The sun was beating down and we decided to have a lazy day around the pool after breakfasting at the Yelken. My tummy is still not right but thankfully I've not felt ill, so I didn't  want to venture too far away from  home. OH tucked into a full Monty breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, beans, tomatoes, musrooms, peppers and toast, while i gracefully had one slice of toast with scrambled egg and a sausage on the side but I probably should have just rested my tummy really but It was just too tempting to refuse.
The Americano coffees were delicious and served on silver platters with milk on the side, with an ameretto style biscuit and milk and white chocolate coated coffee beans. Such a lovely experience.

We spent the rest of the day lazing around, OH nipping off for an hour for his hair cut and I took the opportunity to blog. A Turkish hair cut for a bloke is presumably like a day at the beauty salon for us women. OH thoroughly enjoys the experience. It's a real ritual of soap, lather up a few times, cut throat shave, zits popped, nose and ear hair singed followed by a relaxing massage. Only it wasn't quite as relaxing as usual due to a bit of a heated exchange with some waiting customers over the referendum outcome. Apparently one voted yes and one voted no and all hell broke loose, but the barber yanked them out of his premises with a smile on his face and flourish of his cut throat. Normal service was quickly resumed with all political talk firmly quashed along with the knots in OH's shoulders. :)

We eked out the last of the sun's rays with a sundowner or 2 until it was time to get ready and decided to eat at the newly refurbished Trio.
It was a lovely dining experience. The menu was as we remembered it and the ambience superb. The decor is fab. Very stylish and modern too.
We shared a starter of calamari and I had salmon stuffed with avocado as I thought this was light enough for my tummy and OH had sea bass stuffed with prawns. It was really delicious and the bill came to 200 lira with wine and beer. Very reasonable to say it was such a lovely setting and quite a fine dining experience.

We had a wander through the old town, noting that doy doy is now open for business and had I managed to drag a kicking and screaming  Automan into class leather as we neared the top of the hill.  ;D
I actually did not really find anything I fancied so we made our excuses and left. The relief on OH's face was priceless and it was nearly him doing the air punching but don't worry, we still have more days left and more shops to peruse.  ;D

We settled down for a drink up at shade lounge, along the 'Greek Street' and spent a very merry evening chatting, then probably slurring into our drinks, with a fab American couple who live in Yalikavak. They have moved to Turkey from L.A., he was butcher to the stars and she ran a cafe which Ozzy Osbourne used to frequent. I was a little starstruck I must admit but I won't reveal any juicy secrets, including my own as I was on form last night. It made a nice change not to get disapproving glances from our girls though.

All too soon it was time to drag ourselves home to bed  and I awoke at 3 am this morning with my sunglasses on and  a full Bacardi at the side of me. Hee hee, I never learn  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
I'd have been more impressed if Ozzy Ozbourne was in Greek street!... an absolute legend and mad as a box of frogs....Shaaaaron! ;D

(loving your posts)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Thursday 20.04.17

What a fantastic day we had yesterday. The sun streamed in through the curtains, telling us it was time to wakey wakey, rise and shine. First things first, breakfast but none for me as I still wasn't feeling the love  :( really weird, I've been very delicate in the day time, never straying too far  from the facilities (I'm trying to be ladylike in my description  ;D) and seem to come alive again and I'm starving by tea time. I promise it's not the booze  ::) really, anyhow, enough of that! It was breakfast time and OH thought his throat had been cut, he was so hungry so he threw in a couple of eggs to poach. And threw them out as they were little more than hard, crumbly pale yellow blobs by the time his toast was ready  :D 2 fried eggs later his tummy was filled and off to the pool we ambled. We stayed there until around 3pm when we decided on the spur of the moment to take a trip to patara.

I had bought some little bottles of prosecco at Dalaman when we landed so it seemed a good time to let one see the light of day, so we loaded up the car and set off down the D400.
What can I say, Patara was fantastic. We were virtually the only ones on the beach. No loungers out and the beach cafe was being renovated and 're painted however they were setting the tables up inside.
The sun was beating down and there was a warm breeze coming from the ocean. We walked towards the small dunes where the beach curves round and found a lovely spot to lay our towels out.
Oh my word it was the best experience, prosecco, sun, the lapping of the waves and the beach virtually to ourselves. It was like a second honeymoon, so relaxing and no care or responsibility about anyone else other than ourselves and no worries about time. It was idyllic.
We stayed until the sun started to dip and finished off our afternoon with sun downwers on the balcony.

We very nearly didn't go out last evening but seeing as there aren't many days left, we decided to make our way to the harbour and the Marina restaurant.
As always a delicious meal there. We had calamari to share and then steak in pepper sauce. With wine and  beer, this came to 240 lira.
By 10pm we were wilting and the only thing that stopped me from nodding was the sight of 2 blokes snogging in the bus stop opposite   :o :o actually they weren't but at  the angle we were sitting at,  it jolly well looked that way for a few seconds.  :o
We realised we'd probably had too much sun and this mirage was telling us it was time to go and get our weary and sun burned bodies home to bed. ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:42:20 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Saturday 22.04.17

No need to check the date today as this date is imprinted on my mind. It's going home day  :'(
I am excited thinking I'll see our girls again soon but it's the only thing keeping me going. Well that and the thought that we will be back again in 15 weeks. :)

So, no blog yesterday. I do apologise but the demon drink that I was encouraged to swill down my neck by Kalkan Gems put paid to that  ;D only joking, I claim all responsibility for any misdemenour I may have inadvertently carried out and for the record, I returned the 'borrowed' pashmina sheepishly last night  ::).

Thursday was a blustery windy but bright day and seeing as we missed the market last week, we thought we'd have a peruse following another eggy breakfast. OH is a bit concerned he's going to end up egg bound with all these eggs he is consuming but I told him that's impossible seeing as the last time I checked, he didn't possess any fallopian tubes, Oh and he's not a hen either  ;D
Anyway, on to the market which was very short compared to the usual almost endless stalls, but the basics were there. You could kit yourself out, head to toe in quality crap, watch a few movies, spray yourself with lemon and genuine fake perfume, swing a rip off handbag on your arm and spice up your life with the fantastic smelling herbs and spices on offer. Sadly we did none of that as there was nothing that caught my eye and I'm well stocked with spices at home. I'll restock again this summer when we are back out.

After the market we went for a walk along the harbour, starting at Indigo, we walked or should I say, were blown along theblustery  harbour walls to the lighthouse, then dropped down into the harbour itself which was beautifully sheltered and still with no breeze at all. We walked between the boats, watching the captains working away, painting and varnishing to have them shipshape and ready for going back in to the water possibly next week. There are a couple of boats out already and offering trips.
We walked all the way round, along the first part of the beach and up the steps to find that the road by yakamoz and fener (that was) was being cemented which I'm sure will make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and safer to walk along as it did look a bit of a mess previously with crumbling and irregular paving.
We then jumped back in the car and headed over to kormuluk as we'd been invited over to view our new friends apartment. Oh wow!! What a view, we will definitely have to stay over there at some point. We enjoyed a pleasant hour or so then decided we were peckish so headed up to Actim Kofte by the arcelik shop for a late lunch. Wow, its lovely up there looking over kalkan but best of all is the food. Not a huge menu but very traditional and we enjoyed a delicious lunch of piyaz, Kofte, chicken wings and chips, with 1 beer 1 bottle of water and 1 soft drink the bill came to 69 TL. One of the best lunches of our holiday.

We came home and the weather had deteriorated somewhat. The black clouds appeared along with the rain and I had to rescue my washing.
That evening We were meeting up with Kalkan Gems as it was their first night. I'd already had a cpuple of wine's watching the rain, we then met up in kaya, where i managed a couple of Bacardi's and on to kalamaki for our meal where Mrs Gem and I shared a bottle of wine. We had a brilliant night but by the time our food arrived I couldn't even remember what I'd ordered,but apparently it was Persian chicken and it was delicious. With our tummies full, we decided a nightcap up at the Shade lounge was a good idea. Why?? It was a terrible idea as I was already full to the max with alcohol, but boy did we have some fun. I also met up with an old friend along the way. They thought they'd hidden him for me but I spotted him lurking in the old town bar's interior, up the alley by the steps up to olive garden. None other than mine and Jayne's old mate captain Jack sparrow and I was soon draped around him for an impromptu photo shoot.
So, another few Bacardi' s and before we realised, the time was 2.30 am and we we thought we'd better go before being chucked out by the lovely and long suffering Hash from shade lounge, the whole of 'greek street' in darkness. And this is how I ended up inadvertently pilfering the pashmina.
Well I don't quite know how we made it home but we did and were in bed just after 3am which was good going seeing as I couldn't walk straight. ::)

Yesterday was a bit of a do nothing day, but after a fantastic feast of a full English at chillies (My first ever in Kalkan) OH and I were feeling much better and spent the day around the pool as the sunshine slipped through the clouds and provided lots of vitamin D for our weary bones.
Last night, after a swift drink in the Yelken, we taxied down and said our goodbyes to the Kaya boys. We had such a giggle and it was hard to tear ourselves away, but we needed food and decided to dine in style down at Aubergine. It was delicious. We enjoyed complimentary hors d'oeuvres then a starter each, mine being baked halloumi and Automans prawn rolls. I had the Persian lamb, I think it was called, very delicious melt in your mouth succulent lamb with raisins and apricots, served in an ottoman style dish, with beautiful accompaniments of veg, rice and braised red cabbage. Automan had spag bol which he'd been craving. The bill was an amazingly good value for money 166 TL.
We then headed back up to the scene of the crime - shade lounge where I hung my head in shame and handed over my stolen goods. Oh joy! Turns out I hadn't stolen it, it really was borrowed as there was Mrs Gem handing over hers too. Apparently we were wrapped up in them to ward against the chilly air for the walk home by a very kind and caring Hash and Charlotte. Such lovely people. It would have been rude not to have a drink while we there there but only the one as we  needed clear heads for today.

And that brings us to today. Going home day. We have until 6pm so we plan to breakfast at the Marina then come back and leisurely pack our cases. The weather is a bit iffy again. Breezy and overcast so I selfishly don't feel too bad about leaving and as i said, the thought of seeing our girls is uplifting.

So goodbye lovely Kalkan and we will see you again  soon.

I realise that there are some very serious issues happening in Turkey right now and lots of uncertainty over many things, especially for property owners, holiday rentals etc and I know that this blog is trivial in the whole scheme of things, but I hope it's brought a bit of light relief to some of you, sitting at home, counting
the days down until your next Kalkan fix, just as we will be again soon.
I will be back at work on Monday where I will return to being the responsible adult I aspire to be until August when my hair comes down and along with our partners in crime Bob and Jayne, we hope to
Do it all again.  ;D 8) :-*

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:23:39 AM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
Ahhh it has all gone so quickly! Sounds as though you have warmed up nicely for the summer antics!

I have my first trip 10 weeks yesterday and then back again 16 weeks yesterday! I hope we can catch up with you so you can help celebrate my birthday!

Xx

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Ah well Liz all good things must come to an end, so they say. I have loved reading your blogs, you put us to shame, you have done more in the short time you have been here than we have done in the 4 months we have been here, we have 6 weeks left to catch up. Then it's home for 3 weeks then off to USA for a 3 week driving holiday, can't wait.

Re the 'rental' saga, I think, well really really hope it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup, time will tell so fingers crossed

Safe trip home, until next time
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
really enjoyed reading your blog, we are just about to set off to the airport for a week in Kalkan and you have left us with a big problem we are only there for 6 evening meals............ decisions decisions 8) 8)
I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
Lizzie that is one fabulous and definitely uplifting post to read on a dreary Saturday morning in not so sunny Dorset. Thank you for sharing your holiday with us, the only sad thing about it for us is that we weren't with you to share it, but we too are very much looking forward to fun in the sun with you guys in August. So glad you had a fantastic time. Have a safe journey home x x
J&B

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Thanks for sharing your fun with us lizilu.....look forward to more antics in the summer!

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts Lizilu and can definitely say that they have put me into Kalkan mode. Can't wait to be there in 8 weeks time..............just trying to think up an appropriate title for my posts.

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
I just love your posts, they really do make me laugh - you remind me very much of my Husband and I when we're there!  Roll on September..... Thank you very much for sharing Liz.
Lou :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Well done Lizilu, great first holiday report, go to the top of the class. You were actually loads more sensible than I thought you would be...but I guess you need your partner in crime (Jayne) to be utterly irresponsible. More of that in August  :)
Thanks for posting, really loved reading your blog - light relief in the current climate is just what the doctor ordered.
Safe journey home.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
A dreary first day back at work, and just taking a sneaky peak on EK, but no final post! shame on you Lizzie!!!! I know you are probably fed up back at work too, but there really is no excuse!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Monday 24/04/17  and yes back at work  :'(

Thank you so much everyone for your lovely comments and thank yous. It's been a pleasure to start the season off and I'm now looking forward to Keith carrying on the baton in 8 weeks, unless anyone else (Hobbo???) can sneak in there first?  ???

We enjoyed a fab breakfast/brunch at the Marina on Saturday, my menemen was really delicious, one of the best and OH really enjoyed his full English too. Unfortunately the weather was just dull and dismal as we were feeling, so I just leisurely packed and relaxed while everyone in Kalkan was enjoying the Tourism celebrations, wishing we were doing the Patara walk with them rather than the Dalaman drive.

We decided to wait for our taxi downstairs at the Yelken bistro and enjoyed a nice glass of wine while reminiscing about our child free holiday.

1. Is it only in Kalkan where the local shepherd takes his sheep for a walk (like you would your dog) and a graze around Kalamar, ending up on the beautifully cultivated lawn opposite the Yelken bistro? If you hear the cow bells you know they are on their way  :o

2. Is it only in Kalkan where you can feed the sparrows almost out of the palm of your hand?

3. Is it only in Kalkan where we can drink the same amount of alcohol in 2 weeks that would normally last us 3 months at home?

4. Is it only in Kalkan where you can put 8lbs in weight on in 2 weeks, while trying to be careful and previously being slimmer of the week at slimming world? I've got that weigh in to look forward to tomorrow night  :-\ ::)

5. And finally, is it only in Kalkan where you can feel the tension seeping away from your body and the endorphins rise giving yourself a permanently stupid smile on your face for 2 weeks and your joints magically becoming a little more flexible again?

I'm not sure, but for me Kalkan is my special place and regardless of any imperfections, it has my unconditional love.

I'm sorry it took me a couple of days to reply (Jayne  ;D) but yesterday I felt the arthritis rise and the endorphins disappear as I unpacked and washed, shopped, cooked and prepared for work today and here I am back on my countdown until August!  :'(

Thanks again to you all, hopefully there will be lots of other blogs and reports heading our way this season and I'm sure Shirl and I will keep you informed of our summer antics which will allow me to become totally irresponsible again for a wee while.

Over and out until August.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
You've done yourself proud Lizzie, fab finale and thank you for sharing your holiday with us all.  Hope you've got your count down app on, counting down til August! :D x x
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:10:55 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
Thanks Lizzie ...I too have been regularly checking for the final installment of your blog....... it's not quite the same typing up your thoughts when you can't see Mouse and Snake or hear the mosque man giving it some welly is it?

I'm sub 70 days to my first trip of the year and am already more excited than I ought to be!  Look forward to catching up in August xx

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Us too Haybo and you're right re the thoughts comment. Jayne, app is installed  ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
In the words of Simon Cowell, that's five yeses! Ok well a bit of artistic license there!  ;D
Glad you had a lovely time and are now looking forward to your next visit. I think K4E may be next, possibly,just pipping Keith to the post??
Obviously if anyone else is going sooner and hasn't owned up yet please spare a thought for those of us in Blighty who hang on your every snippet from our happy place!  :angel:

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
Oh Lizzy were not going till October this year and it will be the latest we've been. Really looking forward to other reports which will keep me going till then. Have my Kalkan sandals already to be packed bought on one of our recent narrow boat trips but no doubt one or two more will be purchased in Kalkan.
So please anybody and everybody who is going to our special place before October write down your thoughts so I can sigh deeply knowing that my turn is still to come.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
Lizilu.......you are going to be a hard act to follow. It would be good if other forum members could post their holiday experiences over the next 8 weeks as it really does help us all to remember the special place that is Kalkan. I will definitely look forward to keeping you all updated with Keith Can.......In Kalkan!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal