Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes to electronic items  (Read 10877 times)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Changes to electronic items
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »
Please be aware Kindles and iPads are no longer allowed in your hand luggage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

So what does this mean to you? What will you do to pass the flight time?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13663.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Changes to electronic items
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
We literally posted this at the same time, Jon :D. So I've deleted my post - its saying the same thing. The Evening Standard are saying its just flights inbound to UK...? Does this mean we can use them going out?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
I don't get it! I get that safety and security is paramount, but I don't get this. So, you can use your tablet going out but coming back it has to go in your hold luggage.......where no one will check it or scan it. It might be switched on or the battery could be dead.......and if it explodes it's goodnight Vienna whether it's in the cabin or the hold.
Am I missing something??

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Mick07413

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:50:34 PM »
PW.

Agree with your comments.

Must be a specific piece of intelligence as to method but not necessary the country of origin .

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »
Yes we thought the same...if it goes in the hold there'll be less checking on these items which are normally scanned at the security gates..?
I dont think it will be long before the outbound flights are also included too.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »
Don't know if it's true but I read that if you plant a bomb in one of these devices you have to have it with you to detonate it.  Which seems odd.

I don't mind putting my kindle in hold luggage but not so keen on the tablet/laptop.

Is there an internet cafe in Kalkan or somewhere one can access internet?  I only need to check my emails once or twice a week, so can manage without tablet.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »
I sense a recipe for confusion...airlines will just eventually say all such items must go In the hold....funny how they don't check shoes anymore after the bloke with exploding trainers that didn't explode ?
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »
Please be aware Kindles and iPads are no longer allowed in your hand luggage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

So what does this mean to you? What will you do to pass the flight time?

As seasoned travellers to Kalkan who manage to pack everything, even for our main 2 week holiday into hand luggage, it probably means paying EasyJet another ÂŁ80 to check a bag in.

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:35:15 AM »
We've just come out with cabin bags, guess we will have to buy a hold bag to get our iPad home in 2 weeks time!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »
Surely any would-be terrorists will just make their way to a country that doesn't have the ban..?
Greece, Cyprus, UAE... ??? Seems a bit random to choose 6 countries only, and just inbound flights.
I understand the ban also extends to digital cameras too - makes luggage very heavy if like us you take laptops for work, iPads for personal use and a large digital camera. It also makes all luggage more attractive for thieves.
Oh well, BH will be pleased as there'll be less room for bag purchases.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:52:21 AM by kalkan4eva »

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »
I can't see this lasting long.

The ultra budget airlines will be rubbing their hands with glee ( or rushing to the bank) at their 'you have to put this in the hold - that will be a gazillion pounds please!'  Though it should be noted that Monarch have upped their checked-in luggage allowance by 3kg for no charge, to compensate.

Hold luggage is, or should be in 'proper' airports, more thoroughly scanned than hand luggage.  What you don't see is the higher radiation scanning equipment used, together with sniffer dogs.

The concept that it's safer in the hold than the cabin is solely down to activation, though it seems possible it could be done by Bluetooth, scanning for active Bluetooth equipment in hold luggage will probably raise an alert (if the airport does it - debatable).  This won't stop something on a timer that is programmed to go off somewhere obscure after take-off; this problem exists anyway, so is probably screened for already.

A 'Security expert' on GMTV this morning said Holds weren't pressurised, so it would be less disastrous.  Most holds ARE pressurised, it's easier and cheaper to make the whole fuselage pressure tight than just the bit above the floor, it's just not air conditioned.  Remember Lockerbie?  Bomb in the hold…

At least this is manageable.  You CAN put it in the hold baggage, but most travel policies don't cover it.  They'll also be rubbinbg their hands with glee!

Anyway, how can you do two weeks in Kalkan on hand luggage?  Are you washing everything while there, or are you one of the people that have enormous cases in the overhead locker?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
A point which I haven't seem mentioned in this thread yet is that this latest restriction is likely to reinforce the impression that certain of the UK press is determined to create that Turkey is a hotbed of terrorism and is a dangerous and "hostile" country for UK travellers. Lumping Turkey with the likes of Egypt and Tunisia is SO unhelpful - although I'm sure that there is a sound intelligence basis for this. I am so worried, though, about the effect this will have on our many friends in Kalkan who rely on tourism for their livelihoods.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »
Precisely Mags!
I am mightily relieved to be flying with Monarch, although you can just see the lack of communication when you check in your overweight cases at Dalaman.
Hope the other airlines follow Monarch's lead.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »
On the bright side it might get rid of some of those stonking great cases that find there way into the overhead lockers if electrical items have to be in the hold!! how do they manage to get those cases onboard? They aren't squishy and bendy to fit in that frame thingy for testing size! more noticeable flying from Dalaman but last year nearly everyone had a whopping great bag in fact the stewardess had to give one woman a hand lifting it up !..I'm fed up with my little teeny weeny flight bag being four rows behind where I'm sitting because large cases have been stashed....grrrr! >:( >:D.....and breath...pheeew

Offline lynda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
Easyjet are saying you can put these items in your cabin bags and they will be put in the hold free of charge.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
ABTA have released a statement that says insurance company's will only normally pay out for claims on electrical goods if they have been looked after.By placing them in the hold they will probably consider they haven't . Bottom line is don't take them unless it is vital and / or you can afford to take the hit if anything happens to your items......don't you just love insurance company's?  >:D

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:09 PM »
I will always abide the flying laws that are brought in if it is a case of security.
We only ever bring hand luggage and must admit will miss my kindle especially as I have downloaded and saved Jeffrey Archers 7 books The Clifton Chronicles. I was so looking forward to reading them back to back in Kalkan this summer😟

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »
Msr - have you got an iPhone? If so you can just download the kindle app. I know it's smaller but at least it's a compromise.
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 11:05:43 PM »
I can't see this lasting long.

The ultra budget airlines will be rubbing their hands with glee ( or rushing to the bank) at their 'you have to put this in the hold - that will be a gazillion pounds please!'  Though it should be noted that Monarch have upped their checked-in luggage allowance by 3kg for no charge, to compensate.

Hold luggage is, or should be in 'proper' airports, more thoroughly scanned than hand luggage.  What you don't see is the higher radiation scanning equipment used, together with sniffer dogs.

The concept that it's safer in the hold than the cabin is solely down to activation, though it seems possible it could be done by Bluetooth, scanning for active Bluetooth equipment in hold luggage will probably raise an alert (if the airport does it - debatable).  This won't stop something on a timer that is programmed to go off somewhere obscure after take-off; this problem exists anyway, so is probably screened for already.

A 'Security expert' on GMTV this morning said Holds weren't pressurised, so it would be less disastrous.  Most holds ARE pressurised, it's easier and cheaper to make the whole fuselage pressure tight than just the bit above the floor, it's just not air conditioned.  Remember Lockerbie?  Bomb in the hold…

At least this is manageable.  You CAN put it in the hold baggage, but most travel policies don't cover it.  They'll also be rubbinbg their hands with glee!

Anyway, how can you do two weeks in Kalkan on hand luggage?  Are you washing everything while there, or are you one of the people that have enormous cases in the overhead locker?

EasyJet have gone one better allowing us all to check in a bag for free.

Hold luggage is actually less intensively scanned than hand luggage, the reason they ask you to take  laptops out of bags is to reduce the background clutter that makes making out details more difficult. There is no problem with radiation levels as modern equipment has no difficulty seeing through bags using very low levels. I suspect that it is more about stopping any scope for a bomber having control over where they can place the device.

Two weeks on hand luggage, using a standard hand luggage sized bag, is no problem.Just don't take a pile of stuff you either won't get to wear anyway or can easily buy in Kalkan.   

Offline Kalkan-Mina

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
  • www.mina-kalkan.co.uk
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan-Mina
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »
We have a 17" laptop in our apartment, at the Emir, which is available for our guests to use with free internet.

Easyjet website says they will permit hand luggage to be put in the hold free of charge which is good news for our iPads and Kindle as we are travelling in April with just hand luggage.

Hopefully other airlines will do the same.

www.mina-kalkan.co.uk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
household items

Started by shasbas on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 08:45:18 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Items for sale

Started by kalkankediler on Classifieds - Available

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 06:31:42 AM
by Bapple
xx
Can I buy or sell my items on EnjoyKalkan?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Welcome & Frequently Asked Questions

0 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 08:41:38 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Essential Items for Guests

Started by Firecat on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 05:29:20 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal