Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: castellarizo  (Read 6246 times)

Offline molly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
castellarizo
« on: April 12, 2008, 02:31:53 PM »
Hi there all

I have a friend who lives in South Cyprus and was wondering how to get to Turkey to visit us.
I thought th ebest way for her would be to get to Castellarizo (Meis ) Island then accross the waters to Kas.

She can get to Rhodes easily and I have heard that Olympic Airways fly to the island on a regualar basis?
Who knows anything?

look forward to hearing from you

Molls

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1359.0

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: castellarizo
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »
Sadly Molly I think you will find Kas isn''t recognised port of entry, she could fly to Rhodes then take the catarmaran to Marmaris (or Fethiye in high season) .....it''s a long slog though.

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 04:32:05 PM »
actually I''m not sure that''s right.  I know somebody else has considered the Meis/Kas route.  And very often the long term stayers have used the Kas/meis/kas route to renew their 3 month visa''s so I''m pretty sure if you can sort out the logistics of the connections it might work.    Bill

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
Meis is not an entry / exit point for Greece or wherever even though it does have a ferry connection to Greece and also a small airfield
It can only be used [unless you are Greek I suppose ] as a visit and to renew a 3 month Tourist Visa
You can go there from Kas and come back the same day - that''s the bad news
The good news is they sell pork products - some lovely cheeses - some UK goods such as McVities Digestives and you can purchase duty free goods!! Also you can have a very good lunch in a harbourside taverna
So not all bad news  :)      However they only accept Euro''s [which you can get in Kalkan at the ATM at the Deniz Bank in the centre ]

ps the cost of a trip is 20 Euros return and a Visa for three months is 15 Euros

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
Bill, when you use it for visa renewal/ day trips they actually hold you passports whilst you are on the island, (you give them in at the start of your journey from Kas and receive them when after you retrun to port in Kas) so even if you were there when the big ferry came you couldn''t leave!
As I understand the airport is only for internal flights, I have always understood that Kas is NOT a port of entry and therefore cannot be used for arriving /departing Turkey. I & others I know have however used Marmaris/Rhodes as a port of entry.

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »
I was under the impression that Kas had been made an official port of entry a few months ago. If you contact Latebreaks in Kas who organize trips to Castellorizo i''m sure they can advise. www.latebreaks-turkey.com  or e-mail  info@latebreaks-turkey.com

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »
If they can get to Rhodes there is a regular ferry to Fethyie. It may be a long way round but if they enjoy travelling, rather than just getting there, it will get them to Kalkan.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 07:46:03 AM »
I would be very careful with this one, the Fethiye option would be the safest details can be found at http://www.olymposyachting.com/en/ferry_boat/fethiye_rhodes.asp , unless anyone (maybe latebreaks)can confirm that someone has recently arrived through Kas you may find your friend stranded on Kastelorizo!
Perhaps you can let us know how you get on.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 07:51:45 AM »
Have also seen last year the Hydrofoil from Rhodes in Meis harbour, it left early afternoon for return. 
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline JayneyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:21:25 PM »
Next September we''re thinking of flying in to Dalaman, spending a couple of nights in Kalkan, then 4 or 5 nights in Meis, and then a couple of nights in Kalkan on the way back.  Has anyone else done this trip?

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
Hi,

We have a great day in Meis but Im personally not sure if there is enough there for 4 or 5 days.
I did notice a new hotel is currently under construction however so not sure what facilities it offers

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:51:11 AM »
Jayney

You cannot stay overnight in Meis if you arrive there from Turkey. It is day trips only. If you want to stay a few days in Meis you must enter from Greece, so you could do so from Rhodes, which is easily accessible if you are arriving at Dalaman.

lantana

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 10:40:26 AM »
Great information Lantana, I certainly never knew that!
Do you know why this is just out of interest?

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
i know several people who have stayed a night or more in meis having arrived from kaÅŸ. now that kaÅŸ is an official port of entry it should not be a problem. contact the late breaks office in kaÅŸ for details, the e mail is posted above.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »
Just to clarify, can you now fly to Rhodes, get the Hydrofoil/ferry to Kas and stay in Turkey for your holiday?

Cheers
Joan

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFxRFZmczXU

Great piece of footage of a landing at Meis Airport, not for the feint hearted!!

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
...a landing at Meis Airport, not for the feint hearted!!

Don''t see the problem, I''ve regularly flown into strips 25% shorter, 50% narrower, with 20m high trees on either side and each end - oh yes and the aircraft I flew (Mitsubishi MU2) had a 50% higher touchdown speed than the Dash7.

r2

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »
Wasn''t implying a problem, just thought it looked a bit hairy. 

Offline kalkanites

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
We spent 10 days in Kefalonia when our daughter was married then we  travelled from Kefalonia, via Athens using Olympic airways to Rhodes. There is a regular bus from Rhodes airport to the old town and it is very cheap. We stayed for one night in Rhodes old town taking in the sights the next day, then caught the hydrofoil to Fethiye, which took around 1hr 30 mins. There is also a very good duty free shop at Rhodes ferry port.We then caught the last bus to Kalkan and a taxi to Kalamar bay. Our passports were stamped in Fethiye and we also paid the £10 entry fee here.It was an interesing way to get to Kalkan and easily achieved. If you use this route and wish to get the last bus, I would advise getting a taxi from the port to the Otgar. we nearly missed the last bus but for a super young man who ran with our case to stop the last bus as it turned out of the Otogar. What service!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal