Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Swim, eat, sleep!  (Read 10930 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Swim, eat, sleep!
« on: October 07, 2016, 08:47:44 PM »
So, there are good and bad things about going on holiday late in the season.......
The bad....
The waiting while all your friends and work mates go away.
Possibly taking a bit of a chance with the weather......hopefully not.
Getting cold because you refuse to wear socks until you've been on your "summer" holiday".....or is that just me?  ???

The good......
How long have you got??

So feeling rather smug, the cases are packed, apart from last minute things and at 10 tomorrow morning we'll be setting of to The Happy Place! Kalkan, not the airport, obviously although I do like a good airport mooch!  :laugh: :laugh:

For one reason or another we are both exhausted, just OH and I going this year, hence the title.......well, probably won't swim an awful lot, more like hang in the sea/pool but "lie in the sun reading my kindle, eat, drink, sleep" wasn't such a snappy title!

See you on the other side  :laugh: :laugh:

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13518.0

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Swim, eat, sleep!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
Oh how I envy you ENJOY xx

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 07:18:32 AM »
Oh Babs loving your first post and the Title!! Hope you have a wonderful time, whether you be lying in the pool, eating, drinking, reading your kindle in the Happy Place! but I can guarantee you certainly won't be wearing your socks! Can't wait to read all about your holiday.  Safe journey and don't leave it too long before we can hear all about it!  :D :D :D :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
Safe journey Babs. Can't wait to read your reports. Don't get too chilled that you forget to post!  ;) :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 10:10:52 PM »
The forum expects, Babs......just sayin :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »
Yes Babs it does!!! waiting patiently....... No pressure  ;D ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:11:06 AM »
Cor, you're so impatient!!  ;D
So, the eating is going well.....haven't cracked the swimming or sleeping yet but I'm working on it!
Survived the DIY checkin, bag drop, security etc at Gatwick and the flight (easyjet) was fine except for the group of the loudest people ever......you know the sort, knocking back the booze and screaming at each other and you can't help thinking, oh dear, hope they're not going to Kalkan!
So this is a holiday of changes and breaks in tradition..........
Apart from our first holiday here we've always stayed very close to town, the Han Inn is the furthest. But this year we are staying at the Korsan Suites, just past the Regamcy, and very lovely it is too. When we first arrived we were put into a three bedroomed suite which was lovely but a little excessive for two of us, but i rose to the challenge and decided to have a spare room as a dressing room. So on our first morning, after waking at the crack of dawn, literally, we sorted ourselves out, went for a little walk and then had a delicious breakfast by the pool.
Memduh, the manager smiled and asked us if we had unpacked, yes thank we said, ah, would we like to move to a two bedroom suite? Obviously this was going to help them as they had a late booking, so we did a very quick transfer. So now we are higher up and our suite is gorgeous! And with a stunning view......Facebook friends, I'll treat you to my early morning view! We've struck lucky!
So as planned on our first morning, off we went for a Turkish bath at Atlantis where we were scrubbed, pummelled, the full monty, ready to face the world. Wandered down to the beach and spent the afternoon there with a lovely lunch at Fener and ending with a mojito at sunset......bliss.
So now the next change......for the past 11 holidays, all of them in fact, we've always eaten at the Korsan on our first night but as it was the last night the Fish Terrace was going to be open there was a change of plan. After being greeted very noisily by Yusef and Ramazan downstairs we made our way up to the restaurant and had a delicious meal.......then wandered round the corner for a glass of wine at Cafe del Mar.......no change of plan there then.
Now sitting on our top terrace (!) watching the sun come up over a beautiful calm sea, with just the gentle, put, put, or the fishing boats going out.
Another day begins.........

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
Well that was definitely worth waiting for Babs, thank you! Brilliant post, sounds like your having a wonderful time, and your suite sounds amazing!  :D

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 05:54:11 PM »
Thank you. I'm following you with great interest because we'll be there this time next year for three weeks the latest we've ever been.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:42:48 PM »
Oooohh Korsan Suites...! We've passed them a few times on our epic walks up the hill between Kalkan and Kalamar.....the views must be stunning from there. Oh, and there it is on FB...wow!
Atlantis first day sounds like our kind of holiday too so I'm going to enjoy reading about your break. Although sadly, I hear Palm Beach has closed a bit earlier than usual this year. They are usually still going until the middle of October and you would have thought they'd have stayed on for you :P
It's been a long time coming....so just enjoy  :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 05:57:08 AM »
Another morning watching the sun come up over a beautifully calm bay. Moorsalex you are right about the views of the bay from round here, we are next to, but a bit higher than the Regency and the view is indeed stunning and it's so peaceful here. The design of these suites is really clever as although you see other people you never seem to hear them!
Yesterday began with another walk up 'our hill', I'm checking our steps on my phone and we are exceeding the daily recommendation!  :laugh: we were followed, or should I say closely accompanied by Bruce. Bruce the dog had followed us home on our fist night and when we opened our front door yesterday there he was lying by the front door......very pleased to see us. And while I'm on the subject of dogs....... ;D since when did Kalkan suddenly have spaniels? A gorgeous one at Indigo and outside the Nar each evening is a beautiful two month old spaniel......we lost our lovely old spaniel a couple of months ago and fine with all other dogs but find spaniels tough! Doesn't stop me fussing over them though.
Spent test day at Indigo, a first for us. Usually go to Palm Beach but as they decided to close early we had a change of scene, and very nice it was too, dare I say, we may have found a new favourite? No rash decisions yet! I knew about the afternoon tea and cake but left it as a surprise for OH.
So back to the suite.....ok, really it's an apartment but why not use the posh name? A lovely glass of wine, in silence, have I mentioned how quiet it is here, and then off to the Small House for dinner. We went here for the first time last year and will definitely go back again this holiday. It's just so different from other places. Lovely service from the smiling Can and the food is amazing. The meze plate with 14 different dishes is a sight to behold....and to eat! What they can do with a vegetable!! We were going to go for an after dinner drink but had our glasses topped up to go with our lovely complimentary dessert and we were done for.
Now just wondering if our calf muscles can manage our daily walk up the hill, OH is walking like a chimpanzee unable to stand up straight!  :laugh:
And so, another day begins..........

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 07:47:45 AM »
Big sigh from me so envious. Love Indigo and it's so accessible. It's funny when we first came to Kalkan we didn't have much choice for beach clubs but Mahal was our choice and sometimes Kalamar. Now there is so much choice and I believe a new one next year. So we wait with bated breath.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58:49 AM »
Babs, I have had a pre-lunch drink at Korsan Suites, overlooking the pool and with the wonderful view.  If we didn't have our own place I would certainly be planning on staying there for a holiday.   

Enjoying your reports - it is only two weeks since we left Kalkan and already thinking of our next visit and looking at flights.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
Have to say....a little bit envious of you being in Kalkan right now. Yesterday was the first day I opted for black opaques as the thermostat has definitely took a downwards tumble after a relatively mild start to Autumn in our part if the UK. The thought of being at Indigo Beach Club...any beach club...right now is a particularly attractive one. And there you are, soaking it up :-*
Looking forward to hearing more about your stay...and the increasing KCP. How are the Kalkankles shaping up?

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:49:02 PM »
Hey Babs - loving your posts - just back to Ipswich from Kalkan early hours today and have had to light the wood burner!  What a change although took the dogs out and the smell of Autumn was lovely too. But obviously not quite Kalkan - hope you have a lovely holiday!

Alex

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:20:57 AM »
Woken up to the promised clouds this morning....... :( but this has been forecast for a week and if the forecast can be beloved, and hopefully it can, the weather after today will be perfect for the rest of our stay.
Well, yesterday was a hot one! So the swimming part of my post title was certainly happening. I don't think the weather has ever been that hot when we've been here at this time of year.
So pretty much the same plan as the day before, walk before breakfast, this time we found ourselves higher up Kalamar Road and it was interesting to spot restaurants and shops that I've heard about on here but seen before.
Then another day at Indigo Beach club. They had the binoculars put looking to see how busy other places were! We've never been there in the summer but they are pretty busy, as in all the front row beds were taken and the restaurant was busy for lunch.
Last night we gave Fountains Bar a go for a pre dinner drink, had boycotted this as we'd loved it when it first opened and Nam owned it. Had a lovely mojito and a chat with the Albanian waiter! Then off to Sade for dinner. We love that place, so friendly and a little chaotic. The food was amazing as ever, best meal I've had, calamari and then sea bass with prawns, all washed down with a couple of buckets of red! We had the prime table right on the corner overlooking the road so we had a good view of people wandering up and down. Really brought it home to is how quiet Kalkan is this year, very sad, we have been told that bookings are 40% down, so ridiculous and personally I think it's disgraceful of the British press as there's no need at all, just my opinion. Restaurants that are always popular such as Sade, Mussakka etc. are busy but there are lots with literally no customers.
Well not sure what the plans are for today, will have to see what happens to the weather, maybe a trip to Kas?
And so another day, in a rather dull and breezy, paradise begins!.........

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
Oh I am enjoying your holiday Babs. Tke Korsan suites look beautiful and are in a good area for exploring what Kalakmar has to offer. Hope you manage to visit some of the restaurants and bars along the road towards the bay - you won't be disappointed.

Slightly off topic, good news re Monarch this morning, hopefully they will attract more Turkey tourists now they are out of a crisis so hopefully Kalkan will feel the benefit next year and not be as quiet as it has been lately. There, I'm back on topic again now!  ;D

Have a lovely day whatever you decide to do - any day is surely a good day when you're in Kalkan.  8) :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 06:05:34 AM »
Yesterday was an odd day weather wise........hazy all day and very windy and then the evening/night was really warm, so yes, K4E there was definitely a kankle issue!
Lizilu, it's so quiet round here at night that we are going into town every night. Yesterday we took a different route in and found the Asifya Seaview Hotel where you and Bob and Jayne spent time in the summer, but like many of the hotels it's all closed up. Having said that town seemed quite buzzy last night  ;D
So we spent the windy day on the town beach, you know the sort of day when you have to leap on to your towel quick before it blows away?!
Lunch at Fener.......this is when the obligatory holiday embarrassing incident/injury happened, always a relief to get it out of the way? We had a lovely lunch sitting in the kosk area and as I was trying, elegantly, to get off I kneeled on the edge of a cushion that was sadly overhanging the edge and crash, down I went landing on my hip and hand. So now have a dodgy hip to drag up and down the hills.....hopefully it will sort itself soon.
Last night we went on our promised trip to the Korsan Meze. I can't understand why this is mentioned more. Such lovely professional, friendly service and delicious food. We had Meze to share, well you sort of feel obliged! And then I had what was described as Fethiye Bay shrimps in chilli and garlic. Out came a mountain of "shrimp" more like what we would call king prawns at home, in the most amazing sauce. It wasn't pretty, me that is, by the end. Messy but completely delicious.
Just when I had decided that I really didn't need any more silver jewellery, well bracelets and bangles in my case, we spotted Halit in Just Silver. So in we went to the usual hand kissing, offers of tea, chats about business, this time his plans to open a shop very close to where we live, but then we've heard this before! It would have been rude to not look around and so of course I ended up with another lovely silver bangle and a pair of earrings for one of my daughters for Christmas.
So dragged my dodgy hip up the hills home only to find that I could only lie on one side all night!
Normal service seems to have been resumed today weather wise which is a relief as today is boat day. And so as the sun comes over the mountain, another day begins........

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:21 AM »
Big sigh as I read your lovely report. We're going boating but on the canal not quite as magnificent as your trip and I'm sure not as warm. Have a lovely day.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Oh Babs I hope that your hip is okay and that you are not feeling the pain this morning! Just reading your post has brightened my day, it sounds idealic (well despite your mishap in Fener), and as for the prawns, that would be my idea of heaven! Well done with your jewellery purchases too so soon into your holiday as well, waiting patiently now for reports of your bag shopping!!!
Am sat at my desk now dreaming about the lovely lazy days we spent at the Asfiya this year along with all the other fabulous places too.  Waht fun we all had  :D :D Such a shame that some places are closed already, but it sounds like the Town is still busy, so that is good news. Anyway hope you are having another wonderful day and look forward to your next post! Look after that hip too xx

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
One more sleep....

Started by turkeyfan on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 05:53:48 PM
by Skunk
xx
villa to sleep 6/7 required 20th June or 2 weeks

Started by kalkankiki on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
by indigo
xx
charity swim 1st Jan

Started by whiteonyx on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 01:40:03 PM
by BevJam
xx
new years day swim

Started by samson on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2011, 09:09:28 AM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal