Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!  (Read 14254 times)

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
Re: KALKAN REVISITED MANY TIMES BUT WHAT THE HECK!
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
WEDNESDAY

We had planned to go to a beach club and lunch out, but we received some very sad news from the UK about a death in the family so we didn’t really feel like it, and thought a bit of reflection and quiet time by the pool was the order of the day. 

We did pop into town to pick up fruit and veg from the greengrocers and newspapers and popped into Marleys for a snack.  Hadn’t been there before and very pleasant with a good menu for breakfast/brunch /light lunch etc and reasonably priced.

Back to the pool (still haven’t gone in – it’s looking doubtful now) for the afternoon.   We had arranged to meet our friends in Botanik and then go to Wapiano for dinner.

Nam was in a bit of a bad way – he had an accident on his bike (drove into a wall he said) the night after we last went to see him (over 10 days ago) and he said he had been in hospital for a couple of days completely out of it, and was just back at work.  The light is very dim in Botanik and he certainly had made a mess of his face with cuts/bruises.  So get well soon Nam.  After a couple of cocktails each (I opted for mojitos this time) we headed over to Wapiano.

It was very quiet – I think we were their only table for the evening.  3 of us had liver to start  - I think this was the best liver I have had in Kalkan, and the others had octupus  and this was also declared the best ever.  5 of us ordered steaks – I opted for the marble steak, which was perfectly cooked (you do have to take it off the marble to avoid over cooking though) and definitely the best steak this holiday. Terry had the casserole in the clay pot where they chop the top off.  None of us could manage dessert.  Then up the hill to the taxi rank, having to restrain Terry from trying to go to Mojitos…..

The usual walk back into town to pick up the car this morning, and dropping by the market for some things to take back - mainly some 'designer' clothes for my 2 year old grandson I think.

Alex

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 06:48:08 AM »
WEDNESDAY

We had planned to go to a beach club and lunch out, but we received some very sad news from the UK about a death in the family so we didn’t really feel like it, and thought a bit of reflection and quiet time by the pool was the order of the day. 

We did pop into town to pick up fruit and veg from the greengrocers and newspapers and popped into Marleys for a snack.  Hadn’t been there before and very pleasant with a good menu for breakfast/brunch /light lunch etc and reasonably priced.

Back to the pool (still haven’t gone in – it’s looking doubtful now) for the afternoon.   We had arranged to meet our friends in Botanik and then go to Wapiano for dinner.

Nam was in a bit of a bad way – he had an accident on his bike (drove into a wall he said) the night after we last went to see him (over 10 days ago) and he said he had been in hospital for a couple of days completely out of it, and was just back at work.  The light is very dim in Botanik and he certainly had made a mess of his face with cuts/bruises.  So get well soon Nam.  After a couple of cocktails each (I opted for mojitos this time) we headed over to Wapiano.

It was very quiet – I think we were their only table for the evening.  3 of us had liver to start  - I think this was the best liver I have had in Kalkan, and the others had octupus  and this was also declared the best ever.  5 of us ordered steaks – I opted for the marble steak, which was perfectly cooked (you do have to take it off the marble to avoid over cooking though) and definitely the best steak this holiday. Terry had the casserole in the clay pot where they chop the top off.  None of us could manage dessert.  Then up the hill to the taxi rank, having to restrain Terry from trying to go to Mojitos…..

The usual walk back into town to pick up the car this morning, and dropping by the market for some things to take back - mainly some 'designer' clothes for my 2 year old grandson I think.

Alex

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
Sorry to hear of your bad news. It's awful to get this kind of news anytime but on holiday when you're so far away it's hopeless. Love to you and I hope things pan out alright.
I'd never been to Botanik before this year but we went twice this year because it was a nice easy stroll down to the old town from where we were. I must say it was different but there was only Dad Daisy me and Mor in there. I wondered what it would be like if the weather wasn't so good. Shame about the lack of people because the couple behind the bar were very personable and made us welcome.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »
So good, you said it twice ;D ;D
Glad to hear Nam is on the mend..he put a photo on Social Media which looked horrific and quickly took it down again. When we were there in June he told us he was really struggling this year - really hope this lovely bar is there next year as it offers something different. A few members were disappointed with their cocktails and we also felt as though they weren't as strong as last year and a bit more expensive...I suppose they need to make up for the loss of business somehow.
I'm so sorry about your sad news from UK, it must be awful to be so far away when something like this happens...
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
We were late out on Wednesday with our friends and left the car in town again as he who said he would NEVER drink again after the worst hangover EVER – did so AGAIN!  He is now vowing to stay off the sauce for the rest of our holiday (we go home Monday) – so we will see.  As we have been invited to our friend’s villa for dinner tonight and are going out with them again to the Kalkan Regency on Saturday, this will take stiff resolve from Terry, as the common factor in these slippages is Dudley & Co!!!

Anyway, as usual I went to retrieve the car, but got held up on the phone so set off around 11.00 rather than the usual 8.30 a.m.  There is  big difference in temperature and sun, and complete lack of shade for the whole walk.  Suffice to say, I was pretty hot when I reached the car  - also typically I was offered two lifts when I was within 100 yards of the car – unfortunately not when I could have used it at the bottom of the hill coming out of Kisla!

The town was busy by the market, and I debated whether to bother as I was having trouble parking, unless I went to the bottom of the hill or top, and then would have to face another hot walk uphill – so I decided not to bother – just how many fake converse and nike shoes can a two year old use?  Also there’s always sports direct opposite Mussaka which has a lot of the same things.  So I grapped a chicken and newspapers from the deli and returned to OH snoozing by the pool.

In the evening we went to Sopranos.  We ate there once before last year when it first opened and it was quite good.  Last night it was a bit average.  I had garlic prawns and there was no bread with it so couldn’t eat the garlic butter, and Terry had prawn cocktail that he said was good.  I had Soprano Special and Terry had seafood casserole.  The special was nice, tasty but nothing ‘special’.  Terry said the calamari in the casserole were chewy.  We weren’t offered coffee or liquer although we noticed the table behind us was being offered this ‘on the house’.  Also it was quite expensive at 253TL for two starters, two mains, 6 drinks (3 alcoholic and three soft) and bottle of water when I compare it with Wapiano the night before.  Maybe we got there on a bad night.

We weren’t late back – I tried to watch some TV but fell asleep so must have been the walk in the heat in the morning!

Alex

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:21 AM »
Still plenty of tonic at the little place next door to Bezirgans pub.......
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »
FRIDAY

Another beautiful day.  Our friends headed out for Saklikent and we decided to go to Palm Beach Beach Club.   This plan backfired as it is closed!  I’m not sure when it packed up for the season but must be pretty recently as I’m sure I saw their boat going to and fro just a few days gone by. 

Instead we decided to go back to Kisla and go to Bob’s for a light lunch.  We were the only people there but we had a great club sandwich and one of the best views in Kisla. 

We then had a lazy few hours by the pool and went over to Kalamar for dinner at our friend’s villa.  They put on a great spread, with a lovely salad, cous cous, and chicken and beef kebaps with homemade hydari and garlic bread, washed down with wine, and finished off with melon. 

It wasn’t a late one, as they are off to Kekova today and were  to be picked up before 9 this morning.

However this morning I have woken up to discover I have been bitten on my eye and look like I’ve done a round with Tyson Fury.  I’ve been to chemist and got anti histamine so hopefully things will start to improve soon and I will be able to see properly later. 

I was able to make out the Mouse Island swimmers do their stuff earlier.  Respect.  I’m not sure if one of them got cramp or something, but they seemed to stop for a while in the middle of the bay and then one of the boats accompanying them headed back to the harbour.  As I couldn’t see properly due to said insect bites (have decided there’s more than one), I don’t really know – maybe something else caused them to pause.

Off to Kalkan Regency tonight.

Alex

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
Looking forward to reading about it Alex. Those swimmers are made of strong stuff and I hold my hat to them. It can be so choppy around mouse and snake that every time we are there in a boat we remark upon how brave they are, and all for charity.
Hope your eye improves soon.  :)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2016, 10:37:02 AM »
The swimmers stop to wait for the slower ones so they all finish at the same time

Offline moorsalex

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
In the evening we went to Kalkan Regency for a meal with our friends.  We decided to go there for the spectacular view of the bay particularly at night.  It is pretty hard to match and did not disappoint.

The food was excellent and huge portions – I’ve eaten there before several times and can’t remember having so much food on my plate – we all struggled to complete our main courses and no one could manage dessert.  We did have birthday cake donated by the hotel as it was Christian’s birthday.  As usual OH’s steely resolve to NEVER drink again went by the wayside and we got a taxi back after nightcaps in the bar.  (Metaxa, Raki..) Suffice to say he feels like S**T today and you know the rest..

This morning rather than walk to get the car, I called a taxi – it’s one thing walking to town, but another walking half the way to Kalamar as well! 

We all had breakfast at Yelkin this morning – the English Breakfast there is really good and reasonably priced.  Suitably fuelled, Georgina and I headed out to Kas to the leather shop and textile shop there where Georgina had spotted some Hermes wallets the other day and I’d got some requests from home for more throws from the textile shop.  We hadn’t seen the same ones in the shops in Kalkan.  So negotiations were completed and I also purchased one, along with a beautiful navy soft leather tote bag. 

As it is our last day, we decided to get the last few rays for the rest of the afternoon by the pool.  We haven’t decided where to eat tonight – our friends are heading to Olive Garden via Misty May leather shop for more purchases – we may go and see Adam one more time then get back and do some packing – our flight is not till nearly 10.00 p.m. tomorrow so no rush in the morning.

Can’t believe how fast three weeks have passed – seems no time at all since we got here - looking forward to coming back in May next year.  And now Babs it’s over to you and looking forward to reading your reports.

Alex

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 12:28:40 AM »
Thanks for posting, moorsalex. Really enjoyed your blog and yes three weeks do seem to pass in a flash...although when you are waiting to go away, three weeks feels like three months.If only time would go that slow when we are in Kalkan eh?
Safe journey home and looking forward to a new holiday report in May.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2016, 05:44:29 AM »
moorsalex........I have a sneaking admiration for your OH and indeed an affinity.I am also a very sociable person with the resolve of a moth..i give up booze at least 5 or 6 times during hols but fall down(not literally)as soon as I reach a bar ::) :P......safe journey
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »
Thank you so much for your briliant posts moorsalex, have thoroughly enjoyed sharing your holiday! Have a safe journey home and enjoy the last of the sunshine in paradise. 

J&B

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

cheesy
I Remember Kalkan - Revisited

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 08:03:02 PM
by Chucky
xx
Kalkan in the Sunday Times

Started by Mags on Holiday Reports and Reviews

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 01:00:49 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Four times Kalkan, first Kisla

Started by sidari on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2018, 08:30:07 AM
by DRBD
xx
Kalkan Gym Opening Times

Started by MATT J on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 01:35:27 PM
by MATT J

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal