Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Beautiful but with reservations  (Read 10489 times)

Offline sidari

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Beautiful but with reservations
« on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »
Hi all. This is our third visit here. The last time was 5 years ago. We have found the main area  leading down to the harbour busy in the evenings but down at the harbour is very quiet. The people as always are charming and we feel for them as some are obviously suffering. Our village is lovely, the views amazing but we are surrounded by empty villas. It is so sad as we feel so safe here.
Now for the but. We are fully aware about the dogs as previous visitors. I can only say that it is far worse than last time. On our first night we were women see several times by barking dogs. We now use earplugs. We have at least 4 dogs who seem to be resident in this area and come into gardens and pool area. Now this a problem as some of us do not share the views of the lovely dog brigade. My son is wary of dogs,I have had one nasty experience with dogs I the past but I am ok with them. My wife is a dog lover. Now I am fully aware that most of the dogs are friendly and are accounted for. But they are intimidating. I watched a family last night being followed by 4 dogs, the kids in particular looked uncomfortable.
And before the dog loving brigade kick off and tell me not to come then, you are missing the point. I want to come to Kalkan, I sing its praises to all. Most of all I spend good money to hire a villa and spend money in the shops and restaurants. I tell friends that Kalkan is lovely and it always will be, but then I mention the dogs and see their faces change.
Not everyone is a dog lover and this is unpleasant. Kalkan needs us today more than ever. We will make the most of it and try to relax and sleep. The guest book in our villa says much the same thing from previous guests. Does that not say it all?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13464.0

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Beautiful but with reservations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »
I don't know which part you are staying in, but when we were there last month we actually felt there were less dogs than last year (we have an apartment in Ortalaan).  I know there was a meeting earlier in the season re the street dogs, but have never heard what the outcome was. I know it is probably intimidating for people who don't like dogs, but I have honestly never seen a nasty dog in Kalkan. I don't really know what the answer is. Sorry
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
I  visit Kalkan twice yearly      and while I have never come across a mad dog so to speak  , I agree fully with "sidari" ,  the dogs can be very intimidating  even though probably not dangerous  except for attacking scooters and cars as they drive past.  It has to be acknowledged there is a problem  ,  we have   visited  Kalian  approx. 25  times  and on numerous  occasions  have seen families / groups of people very shaken by the experience of dog packs following them   and or having to walk around pack  of 2- 6 dogs.  That said I am not sure what the solution is  i.e. if you remove the local dogs that  in the main are people friendly   but admit ably  can be  intimidating  , they will be replaced by out of towner   dogs that could be more dangerous  than those in the town .  It is indeed a dilemma that will go on and on  .  I am a dog lover but if any of my family were ever attacked , especially children   the dog would quickly go to doggy heaven

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:24:40 PM by brian j p »

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
It does seem that the Kiziltas area of Kalkan is particularly bad with packs of dogs doing just what the posters below have said - also the area around Cafe Vita along the Kalamar road.  Other places seem to be better (such as Ortaalan) where my villa is - none of my guests have complained and I live there in the Winter and have not been troubled (fingers crossed).  There is no simple answer to the dog issue and it is the subject that is most complained and talked about in Kalkan!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
Thanks for posting, sidari.
This is a difficult subject and generally one that polarizes opinion on here, but you are giving us your experience of Kalkan and you make some valid points. I agree with Felicity that there appear to be pockets where the street dogs "live" and I am aware from other people we have spoken to that the persistent barking of a night can be a real issue - fortunately it has not been my experience. We stay quite close to town and have never been troubled with dogs the way you describe. Also when we have stayed in Komurluk there wasn't an issue - although this may have changed since. Maybe think about hiring a Villa away from the known areas for your next visit - appreciate that's difficult as the packs could be transient.
We definitely felt as though the dog population had decreased this year and certainly the troublesome dogs of the past (which I believe were owned dogs..) were no so apparent.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:58:17 PM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
We have owned property in Kiziltas for five years & have yet to meet a street dog, never mind being kept awake at night - appreciate that they form packs and are transient but generally we only ever see dogs when we come into town - (as generally that is where they are fed by tourists & restaurants).

I feel sorry for people who come for a rest & end up not being able to sleep, not sure what the answer is - but generally I have found the street dogs friendly - with maybe the odd rogue!

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
We have just returned from the old town and there were noticeably less dogs around. We have never witnessed packs and didn't this time either. On a general 'busy-ness' theme, we found most places busy and we waited to get into restaurants most nights (we didn't book this time like we normally do). Streets were buzzing and there was a lovely atmosphere. Restaurants we visited were as follows and these had every table full - Kalamaki, Iso's, Hunkar, Paprika, Aubergine and Fener.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
The idea of a local sanctuary to Kalkan which was discussed at a recent meeting seems to have been placed on the back burner. Due to cost apparently but I'm guessing other factors too. Why people think it's a good idea to have packs of dogs running around I will never know. But they come before the safety of the tourist!  Enough said( before I get battered by the 20%).

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:29:29 PM »
I've been to resorts where dogs and cats are routinely killed by the authorities or local business owners and once I've learnt that, I've never returned. Funnily enough, I was talking to people at the weekend who go to Kalkan regularly and their main reasons for returning were the restaurants and the generally friendly and healthy street animals so it's swings and roundabouts.  In 10 years of visiting, I've only ever been woken one night by dogs so perhaps I've been lucky.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
I personally don't have a problem with the street dogs but can fully appreciate that other people will have a different view. I would however be pretty annoyed if my sleep was disturbed?.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
I do find it difficult to judge a holiday venue by restuarants & the local dogs alone, for a returning visit. The location has so much to offer the tourist & as we were first introduced to Kalkan over 25 yrs ago when there was no dog situation, not so many restaurants,  it still enticed us back. The usual things of peace & quiet, able to relax as we were very busy working people, the friendly atmosphere & of course seeing outside of Kalkan. Since then we have had a home built, not a painless/stressless event by any means, been brave & confident in exploring more of the area & country & we now live here.  Yes the animals have been an issue over the last few years along with a few other things, fortunately we are not troubled by the street dogs, that however could change, however we have friends who are, the barking we have witnessed is disturbing to say the least  & I would be really more than cheesed off if I suffered countless disturbed nights by the constant barking. We are also aware of the the problems of some of the dogs becoming aggressive, some of those incidents are quite serious.

When you live here full time the constant barking & sleepless nights is totally different,, for those of you here for shorter periods of time, please  bear that in mind when comments made such as 'I have been coming for 10 yrs & only woken once ' are made. Some people have been living here full time for well over 15yrs  it's their home & of late have the nightly problem. 

There is more to Kalkan & the area........
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:35:02 AM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 08:08:49 AM »
I always find it a bit strange when people respond to any negative dog post by saying "i have been coming for x years and never had a problem or seen a pack of dogs, etc". Its as if they are saying to those who have " your are making it up".

DRBD has actually lived in Kalkan for 15 and states there is an issue so I would tend to believe that. Personally, I was in Kalkan in the Ortalan area in April/May for 6 weeks and the dog barking was every night over that period. 2 packs of dogs every night. It was a nightmare!!

You may be fortunate to stay in an area in Kalkan during your short holiday visits and not experience the problem - you are lucky. However, by trying to deflect the issue of those who do have a major problem with dogs is part of the reason why this issue never gets resolved.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »
I've been staying in our villa in the Ortaalan district since May and can honestly say that I've not been woken by dogs. Am I making it up? All the the posts here are based on personal experience. Nobody is accusing anyone of "making it up".

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
I agree with Tatilde, everyone is speaking from their own experience and I did say I know of people who have found it an issue even though we have been fortunate not to share that experience.
I don't think the issue can be resolved by us talking about it on here, anyway....

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
Exactly k4e. So happy days how do you propose resolving the issue? Seems the Belediye isn't interested as has been said above the idea of a dogs home seems to have been scraped. I also read somewhere that in Fethiye the Belediye is now apparently opening the gates of the home there and releasing the dogs on to the streets. We can discuss it on here everyday but until the Belediye do something, the situation remains. Thankfully most of Kalkan's street dogs are now neutered and vaccinated due to the work of KAPSA volunteers and those supporting the charity.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 07:55:08 PM »
Recent events in this wonderful part of the world kind of put things into perspective another 50 killed+90 injured in a bombing in Gaziantep ,The Airport bombing plus other bombs in Istanbul and other cities ,not to mention a failed military coup with thousands incarcerated and press/media clampdowns..If Kalkans biggest problem is some dogs then it truly must be a wonderful place.

love and peace and Efes everybody :-*
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:35:49 PM by Blue Lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
Putting things into perspective.

Thanks BL :laugh:
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Yes thanks BL :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
Well put you sensible old blue nose.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 02:23:17 PM »
Wise words Blue Lizard, very wise words!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Reservations at Adams.

Started by Haybo on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 12:23:42 PM
by Chris_S
xx
It's a Beautiful Day

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 04:34:26 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Beautiful Dog Contest

Started by Lougie on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 10:05:08 PM
by foreverkalkan
xx
Beautiful Weather in Sheffield

Started by jooles168 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 08:43:42 PM
by ak1945

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal