Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan first timer.  (Read 8904 times)

Offline tonye1960

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan first timer.
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
Ok so here is my first report after my first time in Kalkan ,be gentle with me!!

We visited Kalkan for 3 weeks, have previously been to Antalya, Calis beach and Yalikavak . Well my overall impression
is that kalkan is the best resort I have visited in Turkey. The scenery is amazing as is the standard of restaurants,you really are spoilt for choice. The only disappointing thing is the lack of tourists, felt so sorry for the staff ,they are desperate for holidaymakers to arrive, and I don't think they will all survive the season.

We arrived in Turkey after a decent flight with Thomas Cook from Manchester. I must say at this point that Manchester airport is a rip off ,getting to be as bad as Dalaman . We were picked up at the airport by Brave tours, really efficient service and provided refreshing iced water and cold face towels.We stayed on the Kalamar road at Manzara Villas . The apartment was excellent  with everything we required and managed really well. Some people may find it too far out ,but it's only 15 minutes walk into town and if you don't fancy the walk back only 10 lira in a cab. Also there are several places close by to eat and drink if you don't wish to go into town.
We arrived at the end of Ramadan, and it was reasonably busy with lots of Turkish families , but not many British. All the bars and restaurants were so welcoming and it felt like we were doing them a favour just by being there. We ate and drank in so many places but I'm not going to go through them all. I will list below and if anyone wants to know anything just ask.

Seaport, Cafe Vita, Kosk, Baharat , Brothers , Hunkar, Cosmopolitan , Chillies , Aqua ,Bread and More, alternatif, Kalamki , Doy Doy, Merkez , Yalli , Trio , Aubergine, Yacht Point , Isos , Marleys , Moonlight , Fountain , Soppranos , Zula ,
Authentic , Black and Gold, The Old Trading House , Bezirgans , Chocolate !!

I'm sure I may have missed the odd one, but think we spread our money around. The standard of food was superb ,and service was top quality . Hard to pick a favourite but if pressed it would be between Kosk ,Seapoint Alternatif or Kalamaki. All four gave good service and food of similar quality .
My favourite bars were the Fountain, Yali and Moonlight , all welcoming and great service.

We visited 3 beach clubs, Indigo, Palm and Mahal.  My fave was Indigo, so laid back and well priced even gave free tea and cake about 5 pm. Palm was OK  but Mahal was a disappointment. Overpriced and terrible service. They were asking for money before we had even sat down, the others just set up a tab and paid at the end. i do recommend indigo for a relaxing ay with no hassle , with the bonus of a family of turtles living under the floating platform which we had the pleasure of observing.

We had two boat trips with Smile boat. I would again recommend , great day out with captain Mahir in his first year as a boat owner. The boat is a smaller one ,only taking nine people. The food on board was superb and Mahir is a nice guy.

I could go on  and may add some more later and would be pleased to respond to any questions, but reality bites and I am back in work now!!! Thank you Kalkan for a wonderful holiday and I know I will return .

Tony

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13441.0

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan first timer.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
So glad you enjoyed your time here. Spread the word!

Offline tonye1960

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
Oh I am doing my best , using social media.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks Tony, what a good read that was.

You certainly managed to visit lot's of eateries etc and it's certainly not surprised me that you feel that Kalkan is the best resort you've visited as we are in total agreement, hence why we return year after year.

We will be staying at the Pirat for a few days before heading off to the apartment so I'm looking forward to sampling Indigo beach club as apart from walking through out of season, we've never experienced it in full flow and I'm really excited about being in town even if it's only for a few days.

We have also booked for smile boat  - glad to hear you enjoyed your trip out on it.

17 day for us and they are really dragging.

Thanks so much for taking the time to report back.  :) :) :)

Offline tonye1960

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
Yes Indigo was very chilled, but as it was out of school holidays  not many children about. Also I can not reccommend smile boat more highly, and at a great price.
Tony

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »
Tonye1960
so pleased you loved Kalkan - join the club!  Sadly I think the whole of Turkey is quiet this year. I know friends who have just been to Dalyan and have said the same. We all just hope and pray that things pick up in a year or so - not only for the business/restaurant owners, the hotel owners, villa and apartment owners but for the tourists themselves.  Kalkan is such a beautiful and special place, it deserves to keep thriving.
Please come back again!
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »
Thank you so much tonye1960 such a fab report, and so glad you enjoyed Kalkan like we do.  You really did manage to visit lots of restaurants and bars, well done you! We called into Indigo Beach Club yesterday to have a look and it really has changed in the past few years, so are planning going one day this week.  Will let you know how it goes, but it looks fab. So pleased you say about Smile Boat, not been on there before but we have a private trip for 5 booked, and we are really looking forward to it.  Sezkalkan you are so right, Kalkan really does deserve to keep thriving, and am sure it will do.  :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:45:00 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »
Excellent summary! It is so nice to try different places! I was there for 7 nights recently, ate out for 6 and tried 4 new places! Can't wait to be back in 22 days x

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »
Tonye1960,

Can you give me more detail on Café Vita & The Brothers ?  I intend to try them both next visit (Sept) partly for their reported scrumptious chips.  I looking for proper fresh potato, thick cut, homemade ones.  Crisp on the outside , fluffy in the middle.

I've got the impression Vita is more a lunchtime venue & Brothers an evening dinner ?

Finally if I'm walking up the Kalamar road from town are they obvious or could I walk past them 'cos they're just off the mail drag, which will I come to first, left or right side ?

Thanks and thrilled we have another Kalkan convert & your pre trip enquiries proved useful.

Lucy Lou

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
Thanks for posting tonye1960......we aren't planning to visit this year but really appreciate other people's views of the special place that is Kalkan. I'm really hoping that the current political unrest and scaremongering do not put people off visiting this truly relaxing and picturesque holiday destination. Let's hope that we get lots more holiday reports. They help us to imagine that we are there. ☺☺

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Hi Lucy,

I can help a little with Vita and brothers.Walking up Kalamar road,Brothers is on the left........they have good signage and large white globe lighting.....very good restaurant.You wont miss it and you come to it before Vitas.......Cafe vita is further up the Kalamar road,again on the left hand side.We have been there both in the evening and daytime.

They do great " world famous chips ".Their evening food is very good quality.They do regular Barbecue nights every wednesday night,starting around 7.00 ish.......usually popular and busy.Vita's is again easy to find.....just past a general store and opposite a derilict hotel building but please dont let this put you off.The owner,Mustafa is very nice and his wife and family are quite often there as well.

Bread and more,on the right,coming up Kalamar road from town......before brothers or vita is great and they do a regular indian food based buffet every friday night.....best to book here and vitas barbecue night as they are both proving popular...Enjoy Lucy..you wont go wrong with any of them
o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:53:10 PM by Mayday1 »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:38 PM »
Thanks for posting tonye1960. Great first report - let's hope it's the first of many. It's always good to hear from a first timer and especially one who has already visited other places in Turkey. So many of our friends have commented about Indigo this year - we're sorry we didn't get there last month as it sounds like it's really improved.
Totally agree about Manchester Airport....
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:02 PM »
Well tonye1960 you certainly made the most of your time.
I think we definitely need to put Indigo on our list for this year, trouble is, the guess it would lose the sun early in October?

Offline tonye1960

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback. Cafe vita and Brothers already been covered, also up that way is Cafe aqua, great staff here, and further down the hill a new venture Cosmopolitan please visit them they need people in their first year.
so many places it's hard to visit them all but I did my best !!
I didn't think the Indian night was that great, but then we are spoilt for Indian food in the Uk . not sure of the sun in October I'm sure others can help. So am I a Kalkanite now??

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »
Another vote for Cosmopolitan. Tried it in June and have to say it had probably the best cocktails I had in the three weeks we were there. Food was lovely too. Will definitely visit again in a few weeks time  :)

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »
Weather in October - we had a week in October last year from 15th onwards and the weather was amazing!  In fact it was perfect - you could sunbathe comfortably without getting all sweaty!!  We have another week in October this year but a week earlier than last year, fingers crossed it's going to be similar weather.  ;D

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »
Tonye1960,

Cosmopolitan, down the hill closer to Kalamar or to Kalkan ?  Think we might be lazy & taxi to it from Kalkan, cocktails there, dinner Brothers & decide if it's close enough to walk to Vita for a lunch.  Stay near to Bread & More but I know the hill after Asfiya gets steep.

My favourite Botanik has not, for me, lived up to previous standard.  Had many poor cocktails before trying Black and Gold but whilst delicious they're more a meal than a drink.  Intend to try Marley's in September on way into town to eat.

LL

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »
Have visited a few times in October before and although you can catch a rainy day the weather otherwise is perfect......just wondered if Indigo kept the sun in the afternoon because of its position.....oh well, will try it out and end up on the beach if necessary!  :laugh:

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
Lucy Lou try Mini Bar on the Main Street before post office. Lovely cocktails and great atmosphere.

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »
Mini Bar is a great meeting place, used it a few times in May didn't try the cocktails but had a very nice (and strong) G&T and only TL15.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
First timer to Kalkan arriving on 11th July for 1 week

Started by stephanie on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 05:47:45 PM
by felicity
xx
1st timer

Started by Diddydido on Introduce Yourself

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 10:27:30 AM
by kalkan4eva
recycled
first timer

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 06:57:41 PM
by Baggy
xx
First timer !!!

Started by Paulgee on Introduce Yourself

11 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 09:44:16 AM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Lovely Kalkan

Views: 2632
By: Lizilu20
Fenner's Cat