Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where are we going to eat tonight?  (Read 13399 times)

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Where are we going to eat tonight?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:07 PM »
Just returned from a wonderful night out and happy to say I'm too tipsy/lashed/merry to write a review.....catch up tomorrow with a headache!!

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 10:54:31 PM »
Day Eight

The Olive Garden - oh my word!!

We thought we'd experienced the best that Kalkan can offer and didn't expect this. We have never been here before and don't really take much notice of Trip Advisor. We were hassled going past Kosk to the point we will never go there out of principal and took a gamble on the Olive Tree.

we were shown to the top terrace with stunning views but sadly nobody else there at about 8pm. Staff were lovely, water and beer arrived rapidly plus the usual iced tea. A nice menu, not extensive but plenty to choose from and a large vegetarian section for those that way inclined. By the time we'd ordered a couple of tables were occupied which was encouraging.

The waiter then brought us the complimentary starter - and this was a starter like no other! A basket of warm fresh olive bread, 10 different dips including an amazing green olive dip, olives, feta cheese and little vegetable parcels. The waiter saw me pass the last piece of bread to my better half and within a minute there was another basket on the table! I strongly advise you go easy on this as it could ruin your appetite for mains.

I had a traditional lamb casserole with rice. It was slightly spiced with a touch of cinnamon and the lamb pieces melted in my mouth - all in a rich gravy. Stuffed seabass with spinach was also ordered and also cooked to perfection as was the lamb kebabs which was a big serving. My little 'un was delighted to see lasagne on the menu and it was served still in the bowl and was sizzling. She loved it, possibly her favourite meal of the week so far - I had a cheeky taste and it was delicious....tons of cheese!

The kids ordered dessert but the waiter brought out 4 plates, I told him it was just the kids that were eating pudding and he said 'no no no - complimentary puddings'! The kids puds arrived - the chocolate torte was gorgeous, lovely taste to it and a gorgeous strawberry sauce in the side plus ice cream. The other was baclava and has gone straight to the number one spot for us this year! The waiter then brought out the complimentary puds and WOW! Lemon drizzle cake like no other, I can nay describe it that when you bite in to it it's as if someone wee'd in your mouth!! It explodes lemony goo and is beautiful. Also there were profiterole type things with chocolate sauce to pour over but no cream filling - very nice. And also there was THE most fattening tasting delicious ice cream any of us have ever tasted mmmmmmmmm.

By 9pm the place was buzzing with every table taken - fantastic to see and a real testament to the quality of food and generosity of the restaurant....it's now become a firm favourite of ours. So, the scores on the doors:

Food 9.5
Service 10
Ambience 9
VFM 9 320TL with 5 beers and iced tea

BTW - a little shout out for the loos here - very clean.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:40:35 PM by Welovekalkan »

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 05:10:53 PM »
This is one of our regular restaurants when visiting Kalkan. I don't remember ever being disappointed and always had an enjoyable evening. It's good to see that it is getting recognised by some new clients.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »
Oh dear, looks like I have to add another restaurant to my list.   For some reason we have never tried Olive Tree but you make it sound really tempting.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:18 PM »
Ate there for the first time in early July...my friends first proper Kalkan meal...can you imagine! Knowing what the rest if the week was going to be like! Her view was that she couldn't see how the made any money from us!

The mezze was awesome..... And who doesnt rate a complimentary dessert! May go again in a couple of weeks x

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2016, 10:33:39 PM »
Is the olive tree actually the Olive Garden restaurant ?

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2016, 10:42:02 PM »
Is the olive tree actually the Olive Garden restaurant ?

Apologies Mayday1, you are quite right it should've read the Olive Garden.....and it now does. Let's blame it on the Effes lol

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
Oh dear, looks like I have to add another restaurant to my list.   For some reason we have never tried Olive Tree but you make it sound really tempting.

Hi Tortoise Lady, for us the Olive Garden is as good as it gets - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2016, 07:18:29 AM »
Thanks welovekalkan,

Efes is responsible for a lot of things........mainly very pleasant things.The Olive Garden sounds really good food,service.....and value for money...A definite visit for our next trip over.
..................................................................................................

o direct    http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8154298
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 07:21:51 AM by Mayday1 »

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
Day Nine

Teras - we went here as most evenings we see the same guy in long trousers, leather shoes and a long sleeve shirt trying his hardest to get people to eat in the restaurant. We see him whilst having pre dinner drinks at Moonlight every night and the look of delight on his face when I told him we were going in to eat there was a nice sight.

So up the stairs we went and was delighted to see all the old faces from Sofra last year especially the white haired manager/owner from Fantasy Island (for those old enough to remember). Usual story at 8pm the place was very quiet but by 8.45pm there was only one table for 2 empty - lovely to see!

Meze was okay, not up there with some of the others but still nice - garlic bread with a couple of dips. For mains we had a seafood platter (60TL) which was lovely and very filling. A couple of huge king prawns in shells, some shrimps, sea bass, grouper and sword fish accompanied with rice and fresh veg soaked in butter. We also had king prawn and sea bass skewers (60TL) which was lovely. The obligatory lamb kebab was had but this time it was with a tomato sauce on top and with flat bread beneath - not a filling meal for a growing lad so fries were ordered and arrived freshly cooked very quickly. These came in a treat when mopping up the lively sauce. We also had chicken breast in a garlic and cream sauce which tasted nice although in my opinion needed something else as it was a bit bland for me.

3 desserts - baclava (obviously) which was nice and is rated at number 4 out of 9 so far this holiday. A chocolate cake which was very rich and loads of it, it came with a nice vanilla ice cream. And a fig dessert, I can't stand them so didn't try them but I was told they were 'quite nice' as they were dried figs rather than fresh, they had a sticky goo over them.

There was a good atmosphere there, good service and reasonable pricing at 300TL including a couple of Effes, iced tea, bottle of white, 4 mains, 3 puds and complimentary Meze and liquors - under 20 quid a head. I was in '5 Guys' (not literally) for a burger and fries in Leicester Square a coup,e of weeks ago and it was £11.50 without a drink!!!

Scores on the doors......

Food 8
Service 9
Ambience 9
VFM 9

Loos - very clean and tidy.

Would we go back? Not this holiday as we only have 4 meals left and we've had better. But next year for sure yes.

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »
Day Ten

Baharat

We were tempted in here eventually by the very nice greeter outside, never been before. It was 8pm and the terrace was almost full, no real direct harbour views like some others but views in to other restaurants and beyond which was a change.

The free starters were nice, but quite filling consisting of what looked like big muffins and some dips which were tasty, beautifully accompanied by Effes.

The main courses consisted of a mixed grill - now this was a serious plate of food not for the light hearted or small appetited !! All the meats were cooked well. There were 2 dishes of grouper which although not filling were tasty. Plus there was a chicken katsu curry dish which my little un said was nice but not quite as nice as Wagamamasback home.....oh dear!!

The puds today were baclava which have taken the number one spot in Kalkan - 17TL for 2 with some ice cream though so a bit pricier.

After we'd ordered we saw a coup,e get served a chateaubriand which was finished at their table and it looked amazing. If we didn't only have a couple of nights left we'd be back there to sample but as it is it will have to wait till next year.

So, a nice meal...not the best but still very good and well worthy of a visit.

Food 8
Service 9
Ambience 9
VFM 8.5

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
This is another one of our favourite restaurants and I think that your post sums it up nicely. We would recommend this to anyone that hasn't yet ventured inside.

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
Day Eleven

Olive Garden - again

Not much to add here really to the visit earlier in the week. Impeccable food, fantastic hosting skills and a lovely atmosphere in a busy restaurant.

This time I had the fish casserole which although a bit saltier than I'd normally have was gorgeous, it came with rice and vegetables. We also had a fillet steak cooked perfectly, plus the special which was lightly spiced lamb on a bed of puréed aubergine which they serve on a Wednesday - thoroughly recommended and if you're there on a Wednesday and a little unsure they will bring you a sample plate of it to try.

Baclava for pud plus their usual selection of freebies which although unnecessary were extremely tasty. Oh yes, forgot to mention the complimentary starter - the best we've had in Kalkan. Almond shots accompanied the bill. A must visit restaurant.

Food 9
Service 9.5
Ambience 9
VFM 9 310TL incl 4 Effes plus soft drinks

Another shout out for the loos plus a gentleman outside to give your hands a little squirt.....of hand wash!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
BBC 4 tonight

Started by Blue Lizard on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 04:53:32 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Tonight's the night...........

Started by pw on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 10:58:03 PM
by pw
xx
Live Music tonight

Started by MartynE on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
by MartynE
xx
On TV tonight...sort of 'place in the sun' stuff

Started by onelove on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 06:55:53 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Turkish Flag

Views: 4211
By: irfan
Day Trip to Meis